Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all

I am a total rookie when it comes to the innards of computers, however, I DO want to upgrade my harddrives on my 2 RCA UTVs. I have been searching through the UTV threads in here all day, and cant come to any conclusions as far as "what HD, that is available to me today, can I use to upgrade my UTVs?" Now I found this link at Outpost.com, that seems to have a "model #" that I have seen referenced in here as an HD that will work for the upgrade. Here's the link:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3484823/

Will this hard drive work?? I see it only has a 2MB buffer...I thought UTV needed an 8MB buffer?? Or is that just a random number that I have read in some threads? The Ultra ATA 133 interface is the required security, right?

Now, a few other questions...is the "demo mode" problem still a problem?? Do the MSN servers still have the UTV software for setting up the software on the upgraded drive?? Is it still possible to use the instructions on this website to upgrade?? Does everything still work the same??

I thank all of you for any responses. I love this forum and the knowledge that you all impart.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Will this hard drive work?? I see it only has a 2MB buffer...I thought UTV needed an 8MB buffer?? Or is that just a random number that I have read in some threads? The Ultra ATA 133 interface is the required security, right?
UTV can use most hard drives that support ATA security. Ultra ATA 133 is not a security listing, it is the speed of the hard drives interface. As for the buffer, both 2 and 8 MB buffers work fine...and you really won't notice any difference in performance between the two...so just get whichever is cheaper (just make sure that it provides ATA security, which most newer drives do). The model that everybody seems to talk about is the WD 120GB drive from Circuit City (very cheap after rebates), though Seagates seem to be quieter.

I personally can't confirm that the demo mode problem has been fixed, but I've read just about every post on this and a few other forums, and it appears that everybody that was having this problem has now been resolved.

Quote:
Do the MSN servers still have the UTV software for setting up the software on the upgraded drive??
Yes. The MSN servers provide version 3.7 of the UTV OS.

Quote:
Is it still possible to use the instructions on this website to upgrade?? Does everything still work the same??
Yes. The process is still the same. Very very easy to upgrade the hard drive in these units, especially with the ability to dial up and download the software.

The only thing I will add at this point is that several users have had difficulties in downloading the software. If this does end up being a problem for you, it is very simple to set up a free dial up account at one of the many places that allow you to do this, and then set up your UTV to use that ISP instead of connecting directly to MSN. This cures most people's downloading problems.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.