AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 200GB Seagate drive for my 5040 and, despite my combing through the alts forum and here, I can't seem to get the RTVPatch (or the ReplayTV itself) to recognize its full capacity.

I tried using both versions of the patch, 2.2.4 and 2.1.3beta, to no avail. RTVPatch still just sees 137. So, what'd I miss? Keep in mind I'm marginally ignorant about HD technology. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think AndrewF is right. I just successfully patched my 200GB Seagate today. I used a USB 2.0 enclosure with original drive set as master and new 200gb as slave in the enclosure. This may have worked because I have a $15-20 IDE controller card which recognizes hard drives larger than 137GB. I think the controller card is what actually allows your OS to see the drive's full capacity. I am sure there are others more knowledgeable in this area that will respond. But the drive itself is indeed able to be patched to full size once your system sees it that way.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The IDE controller you have the drive plugged into probably does not support drives over 137GB. As long as you have XP SP1, Windows will recognize the drive. Point being, if you have SP1 and the drive shows up as 137GB, you need a new IDE controller. You can pick one up relatively cheaply at a Best Buy or Circuit City or some such place. Or you could bum a friend's (newer) computer and just use that.

If you don't have XP SP1, then you'll need to get that. Windows 2000 supports larger drives as well, but I don't know exactly which Service Pack added that functionality.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
There are lots of things that can go wrong with > 137GB support, the most

likely culprits are drivers or firmware for secondary PCI IDE controller,

RAID controller funny business, enabling CL cylinder limit jumper on drive

by mistake, and running older version of rtvpatch. You need to give more

details to figure out what is wrong in your situation.

I suggest you do the following (assuming you ar running win2k or winxp)

1) make sure you are running win2kSP3 or winxpSP1

2) run the Maxtor big drive enabler utility (it shouldn't be neede for XP but

just run it anyway to be sure)

3) make sure you didn't set CL on the drive jumper by mistake

4) connect drive to *builtin* IDE controller on motherboard

5) configure BIOS to be *none* for the drive in question so OS will handle

the IDE operations and sizing the disk

6) reboot and run rtvpatch 2.4

You may want a 2nd IDE card for other purposes, but if you only want to

use the drive as a data drive or configure it for use with ReplayTV, you

don't need the controller card, even with old motherboards with no BIOS

support for 48-bit LBA. 48-bit LBA can be handled in software by the OS

(win2k, winxp, linux)

The one restriction is, since the OS is handling 48-bit LBA, the OS itself

cannot be loaded on a section of the drive which would require 48-bit

LBA (chicken and egg problem), unless the BIOS/bootloader also

supported 48-bit LBA.

In case my explanation was convoluted, if you just want a big data drive

for your DVA downloads or just need to run rtvpatch on the drive before

putting it in Replay, you don't need the controller card that comes with

some of the packages, to use > 137GB.

The details are in these threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=258620
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=261998

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice! When I popped the new drive into my desktop to patch over the old Replay drive Windows didn't even detect it--as in, it knew there was new hardware but didn't just display the new drive in My Computer, so I never saw how Windows recognized the drive. Anyhow, couple of n00b questions:

Regarding the IDE controller . . . so I might need a new IDE controller card so my *PC* recognizes the full capacity of the disk, and that will let the patch program recognize the full capacity as well? My computer's two years old (Dell Dimension 8200)--does that give anyone a sense of whether the built-in IDE card might be insufficient?

Also, how do I find out if I'm running SP1 or SP3? I've installed every Windows update known to mankind . . .

TIA!

-Isaac

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kiltlifter
Thanks for all the advice! When I popped the new drive into my desktop to patch over the old Replay drive Windows didn't even detect it--as in, it knew there was new hardware but didn't just display the new drive in My Computer, so I never saw how Windows recognized the drive. Anyhow, couple of n00b questions:
Umm, when you say windows "knew there was new hardware" that means

it *did* detect it. It didn't show up under "My Computer" because the drive

is blank/factory fresh with no filesystem. This is normal.

I seriously doubt you need a new controller given the model and age of

computer you are using.

Update to the latest Dell Dimension 8200 BIOS and set the BIOS for "Auto"

for the Seagate. If you see anything in BIOS that says 48-bit LBA or

extended LBA, enable it. Boot into windows, try rtvpatch 2.4 and see if it

recognizes the drive > 137GB.

If that doesn't work:

Verify you are running win2ksp3 or higher or winxpsp1 or higher by

right clicking on "My computer" and choosing "Properties"

If you are, run the Maxtor big drive enabler here (I forgot to list it in

previous post)
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/dow...ve_enabler.htm

Reboot and make sure to set BIOS for the Seagate is set to "None" to

let the OS/drivers size the disk. Run rtvpatch 2.4 and see if > 137GB is

recognized.

If that doesn't work try the Intel Application Accelerator:
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/

Reboot, run rtvpatch 2.4 and see if that works.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You want RTVPatch version 2.4. The others are older versions. (Anyone downloading RTVPatch should be going to the source: http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net )

I have to wonder why people are drawn to the older versions when 2.4 clearly says "latest version" and "supports everything":

RTVPatch latest version (supports everything including FireWire) [show only this release ] 2003-01-18 21:00 RTVPatch_2.4.exe 73728 8079 i386 .exe (32-bit Windows)

(old version) RTVPatch for RTV3k with large clusters [show only this release ] 2002-05-25 21:00 RTVPatch_2.2.4.exe 73728 4032 i386 .exe (32-bit Windows)

(old version) RTVPatch for RTV4k with drives larger than 137GB [show only this release ] 2002-02-15 21:00 RTVPatch2.1.3beta.exe 73728 2055 i386 .exe (32-bit Windows)

(old version) RTVPatch Win2000 Text mode [show only this release ] 2002-01-23 21:00 RTVPatch2.1_Console.exe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I know 2.1.3beta was an older version but since 2.2.4 didn't pan out, and the Replay Hacking Project site specifically calls out 2.1.3beta as having support for RRBDs, I thought it worth a try.

Also, I'm a moron.

;-)

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I didn't realize the documentation at the site still refers to the older versions. Like this reference in the Hack FAQ:
Quote:
There is a special version of the WinNT/2K/XP RTVPatch program (version 2.1.3beta) to support the large drives.
I guess you need to read between the lines when you get to the download page to get the right version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.