Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm trying to solve the dilemna of getting my HD signal from my Sony HD-100 from my equipment closet to my RPTV(~ 70ft run through the walls). I have found the below product, and wanted to know if anyone had used it:
http://www.inlineinc.com/products/distamp/3262.htm

Any opinions about its ability to pass HD VGA signals w/o degradation?

Also, I have heard rumors of a device which would convert VGA to CAT5 for long distribution runs, but haven't been able to find one on the web.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

-Scott

·
Registered
830 Posts
If this product works well, I'm curious how much it costs and where to buy it. I figure I can split the line going between the E*6000 and my Pioneer 610, and run a 21" computer monitor in the bedroom for watching HD programs.

With Leno being pretty much the only HD choice at bedtime, I can't justify another E*6000 and real HD monitor for that room.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Scott:

Here's a similar device from Altinex. Altinex DA1907SX: 1-in 2-out VGA Distribution Amplifier

You can get it from Viscount Video Sales for $205.

I haven't used this particular distribution amp or made a long run, but I purchased a similar Altinex amp which has worked worked flawlessly for me for a short run. I'm using the http://www.altinex.com/Products/Switchers/da1917sx.htm]Altinex DA1917SX: 2-in 1-out VGA Auto Switcher[/url. Like the DA1907SX it has a high bandwidth and buffered outputs to permit long runs. It has the added advantage of permitting the connection of two sources to two displays. I'm using it to connect my HTPC and HD satellite receiver to my HDTV and multisync monitor. It automatically selects the active source and routes the signal to both displays. It goes for $359. This device may be of use to you if you plan on adding an other HD source, and your RPTV doesn't have an additonal HD input.

As you probably know, when making such a long run you will need premimum VGA cables to minimize signal degradation. Such cables could easily cost as much or more than the distribution amplifier.

EDIT:

I see that Jay and my response sort of crossed in the email. For $30 I don't think you can go wrong.

------------------

Larry

HDTV: Mitsubishi VS-60803 High Definition Ready TV
HD Receiver: RCA DTC100 HD Digital Receiver
HTPC: Digital Connection - Pentium III 1 Ghz Processor; Elsa Gladiac GeForce 2 GTS AGP 64 MB 3D Graphics Card; M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 Audio Card; CyberMail Video Capture Card; Toshiba SD-R1002 DVD/CD-RW Combo; IBM 75GXP Deskstar 60GB Hard Drive; NEC MultiSync FE950+ Black Monitor.
Video Switcher: Altinex DA1917SX: 2-in 1-out VGA Auto Switcher/Distribution Amplifier
Audio Equipment: Pioneer VXS-D1S A/V Receiver; Vantas DPA-S50 Digital Surround Processor/Amplifier; Carvin DCM2000 2000 watt Audio Amplifier; Rolls PA71 Audio Amplifier; SMART CS-3X Junior Center-Surround Decoder; Sony 5-Disc DVD Changer, Pioneer 6-Disc Magazine CD Changer
Speakers: 2-Polk SDA -1C Floor-Standing Front, 1-Polk CS400p Center Channel Front, 1-Polk CS175 Center Channel Rear, 2-Polk f/x500I Surround Side, 2-Polk M3II Surround Rear, M&K 4X Subwoofer
Tactile Transducers: 2-ButtKickerâ„¢ Shakers
s>

[This message has been edited by LarryChanin (edited 06-13-2001).]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
...but wait! Look here for todays' AVS revelation!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I would prefer the Cat5 solution referenced here, b/c Cat5 cabling is easier to run and cheaper than a long-run shielded VGA cable.

I'm going to use a contact-closure VGA switch immediately before this device, to switch between my HDVGA out from my Sony HD100 and my HTPC for progressive DVD.

My only question would be if the adapter can only pass basic VGA, or extended HD or higher-resolution HTPC images as well. Any thoughts?

-Scott

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The indication in that thread was that this is the real deal. I believe that he has a UP1100 XGA projector and an HD source. He'll be posting more details and pictures after the projector conference.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I know this sounds old fashioned, but I'd still go with Canare L-5CFB or Belden 1694A rgbhv cable, or 5 runs of rg6 qs, with a vga-rgbhv breakout cable at either end

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 06-16-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.