AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comcast added extensive VOD services in my area yesterday. Only thing is, the PQ is terrible. Much more compressed than their regular "digital" service- even worse than VHS quality.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has HD VOD services of any kind yet? I can see how this service can be great (I love The Anime Network's selection), but the PQ is just too poor for me to use it more than infrequently.

It would be nice to see Comcast roll this out, or at least up the PQ of their current offerings.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Mention was made a couple of months ago about Comcast adding this (HD VOD - InDemand) this fall. I haven't heard anything about it since.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
Comcast added extensive VOD services in my area yesterday. Only thing is, the PQ is terrible. Much more compressed than their regular "digital" service- even worse than VHS quality.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has HD VOD services of any kind yet? I can see how this service can be great (I love The Anime Network's selection), but the PQ is just too poor for me to use it more than infrequently.

It would be nice to see Comcast roll this out, or at least up the PQ of their current offerings.
It just became available in Harrisburg. The PQ is rather decent for digital cable. However, the contention rates are not being pushed to the limit since not many know about the early soft launch. Radio ads are focusing on the October 1st local launch of HBO-on-Demand.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by definitely
VOD just became available in Harrisburg... not HD VOD, right?
Right. I was just attempting to compare PQ with some context, perhaps not enough context. I expect PQ to get softer when more people within my neighborhood node are using plain VOD.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Cablevision just launched HD VOD in the NYC area. Here's the news release:

Cablevision Introduces First High-Definition Video On Demand Service

iO Digital Cable Customers With HD Converter Boxes Can Now Access Slate Of High-Definition Movies, Including Titles Originally Seen In IMAX® Theaters

Bethpage, N.Y., September 2, 2003 — Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC) is the nation's first cable or satellite provider to make high-definition programming available to its customers on demand. Now available to iO: Interactive Optimum® digital cable customers, the high-definition video on demand offering features a slate of popular theatrical films, including unique titles originally seen in IMAX theaters that have never before been licensed for television.

"The centerpiece of iO is the industry's most comprehensive collection of on demand programming, available anytime with full control over the viewing experience, so the addition of high-definition films fits perfectly with our strategy for the service," said Kristin Dolan, senior vice president of digital product management. "High-definition on demand programming is just one example of iO's ability to change the way our customers view television."

High-definition films are available for 24-hour viewing for a rental fee of $6.95 per film. The initial slate of titles includes*:

About Schmidt

Final Destination 2

The Real Cancun

Super Speedway

Journey Into Amazing Caves

[*Partial list]

Two of the titles, "Super Speedway" and "Journey Into Amazing Caves," were originally created for exhibition in IMAX theaters, and are now available through iO for the first time on television. Under an agreement with El Segundo, California-based K2 Communications, at least two new titles originally seen in IMAX theaters will be added to the iO high-definition slate each month. IMAX® is a registered trademark of IMAX® Corporation.

"Super Speedway" puts the audience behind the wheel of Michael Andretti's Indy car while it travels at speeds in excess of 230 miles per hour. The feature also includes racing legend Mario Andretti, who participates in his son's evaluation of a new car and reflects on his own racing experiences and on the art, science and extreme risk of high-speed competition.

"Journey Into Amazing Caves" follows two accomplished "cavers" as they embark on an incredible journey to some of the most extraordinary cave environments on earth, including ice caves in Greenland and underwater caves in Mexico. The film takes the audience on a breathtaking adventure to places few will ever see firsthand.

Earlier this year, Cablevision began offering iO customers with high-definition television sets HD-capable converter boxes at no additional cost over the standard box rental fee. iO Customers with the HD boxes can access high-definition programming from HBO, Showtime, MSG Network and Fox Sports Net New York for free, as long as they subscribe to the standard-definition versions of the networks.

Cablevision's base of iO customers has grown from approximately 42,000 a year ago to nearly 600,000 on June 30. More than 20% of all Cablevision cable customers today are iO digital customers, up from 1.4% penetration a year ago. Cablevision's state-of-the-art digital cable service is available to more than 90% of homes within Cablevision's service area, and all of the company's 4.4 million homes passed will be digital capable by the end of this year.

About iO

Cablevision's suite of digital television services, iO: Interactive Optimum, is among the industry's most robust and sophisticated digital television offerings. With iO, customers have access to more than 700 titles on demand, more than 200 channels, up to 50 premium movie channels and 45 commercial-free channels of digital music. No other cable or satellite provider exceeds the breadth and depth of the iO service or gives customers more control over their television experience.

About Cablevision

Cablevision Systems Corporation is one of the nation's leading entertainment, media and telecommunications companies. In addition to its broadband, cable, Internet and telephone offerings, the company owns and operates Rainbow Media Holdings, Inc. and its networks; Madison Square Garden and its teams; and Clearview Cinemas. In addition, Cablevision operates New York's famed Radio City Music Hall. Additional information about Cablevision Systems Corporation is available on the Web at www.cablevision.com.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You know if Netflix could get into some kind of agreement with cable operators I can see this exploding. Imagine being able to offer any movie available on dvd at the push of a button. It would bring down their shipping expenses and be able to offer to anyone at anytime.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, but at its current PQ it's unacceptable (at least for us). I don't know if it's different in my area, but I think it looks lousey. The 5100's scaling capabilities are partly at fault. Decent enough in interlaced, but I still think it's VHS quality or lower. I really hope the 6208 does a better job. At the price they're paying for these things they should put a Faroudja chip in there.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Please keep on topic.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me? Well it is sort of generally on topic, because the PQ is only as good as the device that outputs it. The potenital is there.

Do we have any Cablevision customers on the forum? I'm pretty sure we have a few. Anyone want to share their experiences with HD VOD? I'm interested if Cablevision is compressing it at all?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.