AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this question has probably been answered, but I did a bit of searching and I couldn't find anything so I was hoping someone could just give me a quick answer.

I have an HDTV with a built in tuner, so right now I have an little in-door HD receiver pointed twords the stations and I receive local broadcasting in HD.

My question is, is there any service or set top box that can receive HD programming, and output it through a coax cable, like my little antenna can?

I mean something like direct TV, where I see HD programming (1080i 720p, the good stuff) through the coax input on my tv.

I'm just wondering about this because my HDMI input is tied up with my PC, and my 2 componant inputs are tied up with game consoles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can view your DirecTV HD through your coax connection? I have never heard of such a thing. The DirecTV digital signal is INPUT to your receiver with a coax cable but true high definition/digital output ( 480p, 720p, 768p or 1080i) can only be realized through the component or DVI/HDMI OUTPUTS to your HDTV. If the signal is converted to an RF (COAX) out to your TV, it is an analog modulated signal and will be interpreted by the built-in NTSC (analog) tuner and normally limited to 330 horizontal lines of resolution.

To answer your question, no an HD signal cannot be interpreted with an RF coax OUTPUT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Revision to my previous message:

If you have an RCA HDTV with built-in DirecTV receiver, then it is processing the RAW signal from the coax/LNBF and not an analog RF signal. This sounds like the set-up you have. If you split your direcTV signal with a multi-switch, you will still need an external DirecTV High-Definition MPEG2 receiver/decoder for signal. Also when DirecTV moves to MPEG4 encoding, your built-in receiver will not decode...

·
Registered
451 Posts
What needs to happen is for D* to come up with an HD receiver that will output QAM or 8VSB over coax to plug into an HDTV with a built in tuner. This would solve the sports bar situation allowing them to upgrade tvs without rewiring the entire place.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
MS upper managment has stated that they are talking to the US Satellite providers and maybe in a year or two we will see a Satellite TV PC Tuner card.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I was a bit mistaken, JmmHouston is talking more about what I'm interested in. I don't currently have Direct TV, I'm just receiving HD through my tiny indoor over-the-air antenna that plugs into my coax port on my HD tv with a built in receiver. I was asking if there were any services that allowed you to view HD content by plugging it into the coax port on your TV.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scofthe7seas
I guess I was a bit mistaken, JmmHouston is talking more about what I'm interested in. I don't currently have Direct TV, I'm just receiving HD through my tiny indoor over-the-air antenna that plugs into my coax port on my HD tv with a built in receiver. I was asking if there were any services that allowed you to view HD content by plugging it into the coax port on your TV.
If your local cable company broadcasts any channels via QAM and your TV's built in tuner has QAM capability then it would be able to tune them too. This isially just local channels, you'd still need an external STB or cablecard if your TV supports it to get any of the premium HD channels.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMHouston
What needs to happen is for D* to come up with an HD receiver that will output QAM or 8VSB over coax to plug into an HDTV with a built in tuner. This would solve the sports bar situation allowing them to upgrade tvs without rewiring the entire place.
This would be a great thing but.....

It will never happen. This would make it easy to record HD content and our Hollywood friends would not allow their programming to be distributed by DirecTV.

We could all use something like this but I'm afraid we are stuck with a set top box or cable card at each HDTV...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.