·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 /forum/post/11860489

I agree the lack of region coding is intriguing

This is a region coded format. From the NME website:

Quote:
HD VMD is a true HD format with 1920 x 1080i/p resolution, up to 40 Mbps bit rate playback, DVD up-scaling so users can watch their existing DVD collection and achieve premium picture quality through their HD TV monitors. The HD VMD player is suitable for playback on all HD-capable display devices and will support existing optical disc formats: CD, DVD. HD VMD players also feature Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and all region codes for greater film viewing flexibility.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhabit /forum/post/11860371

I can't believe you of all people are proving this guy's point!:

Not proving his point at all.

You have to have BOTH . . player price AND content.

Take a look at the list (oh by the way - the Lord of the Rings may be the Ralph Bakshi animated movie) and tell me if you reconigize more than 20 films . . .

It isn't a question of HD VMD is $50 less than HD DVD so people will buy it. They will look at the movie selection and see little if any movies they might want - all catalog titles and many are for people from India (Bollywood)

Like I said - player price and content.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
It will be a region free player. I've been sitting on a HDVMD player for a couple weeks, but it is not the finalized version, so I can't give out a review yet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wonder what is different between the 622 and the 777. I thought 1 of these would be 1080i, not p.

These players look fairly nice but none of the movies listed would make me buy this.

If VMD can get a big library and attract more US studio support, both formats would be in trouble.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
JUNE 6 | Apocalypto, The Descent and The Queen, among other high-profile films, will be distributed by Icon Film Distribution on the fledgling high-definition format HD VMD in the territories of Australia and New Zealand.

The HD VMD solution will allow us to distribute our movies to a fan base that is craving an affordable high-def experience in the home,” said Greg Hughes, general manager of home entertainment at Icon. “We’ve seen tremendous momentum for the HD VMD format and plan to release dozens of titles in the Australian and New Zealand markets where HD VMD is available to the consumer.”

At this point, NME has attracted only one U.S. supplier of HD VMD titles, Anthem Pictures.

Outside of the U.S., NME has signed foreign-based film suppliers to distribute HD VMD titles in China, France, Germany, India, Poland and Scandinavia among other markets.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6449280.html

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay /forum/post/11860243

Wow, they are the first players to break the "magic $200 MSRP" point, and will almost certainly be the first to $150 MSRP as well. I guess it's over for HD DVD, since "price is king"...

If you feel any of that was silly, then you should also understand why it's silly to think that HD DVD will beat BD for the exact same set of reasons.

Toshiba understood, that's why they bought Paramount/Dreamworks.

Your comment was silly simply because it was.

The "price is king" argument is perfectly valid when the formats in question are nearly the same in most other respects (PQ, AQ, and Catalog size/Quality)

The argument fails for HD VMD due to the fact that there is virtually zero support from the film industry not to mention that there is no independent information to confirm that PQ and AQ will be anything like what is currently available on Blu and HD.

Now if they prove their player is capable of matching Toshiba and Sony's and they manage to pick up a few hundred decent titles then the "price is king" rule may well indeed apply.

But for now, the HD VMD players are basically $200 doorstops.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 /forum/post/11861178

Your comment was silly simply because it was.

The "price is king" argument is perfectly valid when the formats in question are nearly the same in most other respects (PQ, AQ, and Catalog size/Quality)

The argument fails for HD VMD due to the fact that there is virtually zero support from the film industry not to mention that there is no independent information to confirm that PQ and AQ will be anything like what is currently available on Blu and HD.

Now if they prove their player is capable of matching Toshiba and Sony's and they manage to pick up a few hundred decent titles then the "price is king" rule may well indeed apply.

Its got a sigma processor so I will go out on a limb and say the pq will be on par with HD DVD as it is running the same codec's mainly VC1, now I think the audio will be regular DD but that is not a bad movie library if available when the players actually hit. So again price will matter for JSP as has been said they only look at price but I think these will go nowhere as "where are you going to buy one"?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncalfroper /forum/post/11860318

HD VMD players are extremely versatile and compelling from both a technological and performance perspective. HD VMDs have a maximum data transfer rate of 40 Mbps versus 36 Mbps for HD DVD and Blu-ray, which gives it the potential of sharper more detailed pictures over the competing formats.

Quote:
They claim more bandwidth than Blu Ray or HD DVD on they're website

http://www.nmeinc.com/index.aspx

According to wikipedia

HD-DVD has a raw data transfer rate of 36.55 Mbp/s

Blu-ray has a raw data transfer rate of 53.95 Mbit/s (but max 40 Mbit/s for video).

So aren't they incorrect? If they are using the raw data transfer rate don't they have less bandwidth than Blu-ray (or am I/wikipedia wrong)?

----

Also, according to amazon.com, they don't start shipping in the US till the first week of November 2007.

Also, there's no titles available for it yet at amazon.com.

Are they going to sell these players and some titles in the UK? If so when and where?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts

That is 'lil severe no? It does play dvds and if the sigma chip is implemented correctly than a capable scaler.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncalfroper /forum/post/11861280

Its got a sigma processor so I will go out on a limb and say the pq will be on par with HD DVD as it is running the same codec's mainly VC1, now I think the audio will be regular DD but that is not a bad movie library if available when the players actually hit. So again price will matter for JSP as has been said they only look at price but I think these will go nowhere as "where are you going to buy one"?

Well, at the $189 price point, this will be initially attractive to the niche markets that NME is targeting first. For the current limited selection of videos available in this format, it is a competent 1080P Hi-def player and a competent upconverter of DVDs to 1080p.

This red laser format could well turn out to be the low-cost alternative to Blu-ray.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Forget about content. Price doesn't make a hill of beans difference without extensive mass distribution. An NME store at Amazon is meaningless. When the players get into Best Buy, Sears, Wal-Mart, Target, Circuit City, etc etc ... then you have mainstream product.

·
Registered
419 Posts
They might be on to something I might go out on a limb and purchase it just to see what it is about.I know I might be in the dark but hell this may turn out to be the real format winner. I think HD and Blu ray are not 2
about this

·
Banned
483 Posts
This is similar to fluorescent multilayer discs, I'd would've liked to see that succeed. I believe it has more expandability, that is it's easier to add more fluorescent layers of data. That tech is called HD-DMD now, and doesn't really look like it's going anywhere.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
This format has no fanboys which is a huge plus.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I like the design of the players. Makes the current HD DVD and BR players look klutzy. A little digging found that this technology is not only compatible with red lasers but also with blue lasers, if and when that technology becomes mainstream (according to the company's web site).

It's an interesting technology. I wish them well. More choice is better, right?

Doug

21 - 40 of 260 Posts