AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Hopefully both HD DVD and Blu-Ray have enough momentum to smash this HD VMD thing as quick as possible. There is enough confusion with two formats, a third isn't needed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Interesting that at least 2 of those demo disks are only dual layer disk and not the 4 layers they say is possible.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Transformers vs. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 vs. David Hasselhoff in Jekyll & Hyde the Musical.

This holiday season will be a fierce battle between the 3 formats!

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas /forum/post/11862712

Transformers vs. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 vs. David Hasselhoff in Jekyll & Hyde the Musical.

This holiday season will be a fierce battle between the 3 formats!

Hahaha don't underestimate the Hoff!

On a serious note, I'd actually like to see these things get some traction. Why? Morbid curiosity.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead99 /forum/post/11862749

On a serious note, I'd actually like to see these things get some traction. Why? Morbid curiosity.

Well, if you think about it, what is one of the most frustrating things to you as an HDM owner? To me, a huge problem is that I'm a fan of many weird old obscure films. If HD VMD starts rolling out interesting "B" movies left and right in HD, I'll buy one up ASAP.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wouldn't that be the wildest thing that's ever happened if this thing ended up being the unified high def format? After 2 years of bloody trench warfare something needs to break the stalemate.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Does anybody know where this format stands with burning? do they have burners out? Can it support Hi def red laser disks similar to HD DVD's 3x dvd?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas /forum/post/11862781

Well, if you think about it, what is one of the most frustrating things to you as an HDM owner? To me, a huge problem is that I'm a fan of many weird old obscure films. If HD VMD starts rolling out interesting "B" movies left and right in HD, I'll buy one up ASAP.

Yep I couldn't agree more. I'm a huge fan of "B" movies and with this format being pretty inexpensive I would buy into it just for the obscure movies. There could be some really interesting releases down the road with this format being region free.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds /forum/post/11862245

This format has no fanboys which is a huge plus.

But it will soon...

HD VMD has a higher bitrate so that will make the BR fans switch.

HD VMD does not have lossless audio which will make the HD DVD fans switch.

AND...it has Lazytown! Who wouldn't want to see Stephanie and the gang in HD?!

Oh, did I mention it has more players than any other format! (All PC DVD drives will play these discs with a minor FW update).

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds /forum/post/11862245

This format has no fanboys which is a huge plus.

You're wrong! Let me formerly announce to the world that I am an HD VMD fanboy.

I read somewhere here that this format does lossless (PCM) but not TrueHD.

Both sides are afraid of this format and for good reason. This is a format the studios could easily support and dump the other two with all the baggage they each carry! Wouldn't it be ironic if all studios came to support this format while being exclusive to one of the others. While BD and HD DVD throw FUD at each other this one could sneak right up the middle - I sure hope so since it would put a lot of people here (who really need to get a life) out of work.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/11865167

You're wrong! Let me formerly announce to the world that I am an HD VMD fanboy.

I agree... this format looks pretty bloody good! If they come out with some good disk authoring software anytime soon... then I'm kissing this blue laser crap goodbye.... who needs the expense of it!!??

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead99 /forum/post/11862749

very true. i could see jekyll & hyde outsell transformers and pirates in germany. The germans love this guy. But then everyone probably already owns jekyll & hyde so it would probably end up being a double dip for them which could cut into the sales.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
This is supposed to be a 3 layer 15GB disc format read by a Red Laser. It is then supposed to go to 6 layers - 30GB.

So which title is 15GB?

No problems reading the 3rd layer? I mean all the uninformed are says that HD DVD can't read a 3rd layer . . . but HD VMD can?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/11866026

This is supposed to be a 3 layer 15GB disc format read by a Red Laser. It is then supposed to go to 6 layers - 30GB.

So which title is 15GB?

No problems reading the 3rd layer? I mean all the uninformed are says that HD DVD can't read a 3rd layer . . . but HD VMD can?

From the website:
Quote:
VMD is precisely the same size and thickness as DVD. While DVD technology utilizes two layers of a disc, VMD technology has conceived multi-layering, whereby the storage capacity is dramatically increased. Each additional layer adds approximately up to 5 GB of memory over a standard DVD disc. VMD provides the ability to place up to 20 layers on a single disc with no quality loss in the content stored. This means capacity to record 100 GB or more.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am actually very intrigued by HD VMD.

I don't think it has a realistic chance to be the HDM successor to DVD (at least in NA), but it could be a nice niche player if it can get a good library of independent, "B" and foreign movies that for the most part have been neglected by BD/HD DVD

For instance, I would definitely buy a reasonably priced VMD player if they get deals with large Asian studios/distributors to release Asian movies on VMD here in the US

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma_victor /forum/post/11866307

I am actually very intrigued by HD VMD.

I don't think it has a realistic chance to be the HDM successor to DVD (at least in NA), but it could be a nice niche player if it can get a good library of independent, "B" and foreign movies that for the most part have been neglected by BD/HD DVD

For instance, I would definitely buy a reasonably priced VMD player if they get deals with large Asian studios/distributors to release Asian movies on VMD here in the US

Why would they do that? What about CH-DVD?

·
Registered
663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/11866336

Why would they do that? What about CH-DVD?

I could be totally wrong here but my impression was that CH-DVD is primarily targeting China and the Asian market - i.e. selling players and movies to China/Asia

What my post refers to is distribution of Chinese and other Asian films in the US; I think there's a large niche for such HDM content in the US and I'm hoping that VMD can land distribution deals to release Asian movies in the US

For instance ala Weinstein Company's deal to repackage and distribute Chinese action films in the US under the "Dragon Dynasty" label, I'm hoping that VMD can do similar deals

41 - 60 of 260 Posts