AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbury8 /forum/post/11860561

Id say those people are probably higher on the tech chain then you are and probably already have an hd player and want to try out new tech.

Why is everyone so negative all the time.

Does it make you feel better to put other people down?

After I install my upcoming BD player, I'll still have exactly one HDMI input left on my Pioneer.

I can see getting an ML622B given some reasonable software titles and prices! I'm really not interested in having to pay import prices though -- that's one of the reasons I went on the hunt for a BD player!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdaddy /forum/post/11877570

If the upconversion is good, it could be a little more compelling to those looking at an Oppo.

If the VMD players include flexible zoom modes as well, then they are winners in my book!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/11885363

Don't we constantly hear how little impact the HD formats have made with the consumer? I think HD VMD's timing is pretty good! Just before HD optical disk goes big is the time to get in and ride all the work the other formats have done - for free! They claim a simple software update to your DVD drive in your PC will do the trick - if true, then there's a potential 100 million plus players already out there with zero cost to the consumer.

I predict that HD VMD will have comparable video and audio to both HD DVD and BD at a much lower initial cost for players and software. As the HD DVD supporters constantly say (and is proving true) the studios will follow the money.

Cheers,

Grant

PCM audio will eat up too much space for a movie title, so they will stick with the specified SD DVD audio formats (and hence not match BD or HD DVD) -- probable exception being the occasional short special feature. However, I would like to see them foster 640Kbps DD (instead of 448Kbps on SD) and 1.5Mbps DTS (instead of typical 768Kbps on SD.) That would provide an audio upgrade for their audience without wiping out their fewer layer disc capacity.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sly /forum/post/11891117

They really blew it only supporting basic audio formats of yesteryear. One of the best things I like about HD DVD and Blu-ray is the superior audio. It is one of the first things I noticed. VMD missed the boat here and won't get a serious look from most HT enthusiasts. It will say it does look like a cool looking unit though.

Most people are focused on the video, not the audio. Most are perfectly happy to watch HDTV using the TV speakers and have no interest in receivers and speakers and etc. The high resolution audio provided by BD and HD DVD is unecessary for most -- which is what makes lossless audio such a joke relative to the general market.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
ML622 and ML777 HD VMD players are the first high definition video players to output true 1080p. Utilizing the Sigma Designs EM8622L chip set these two players will output the native 1080p resolution from the disc rather than adding a second conversion process by breaking it down to 1080i and de-interlacing back to 1080p.

Anyone notice this? From my link above.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/P...ge8622L_br.pdf

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/11939500

I read it differently. IMO - It means it will mimic the region codes of DVD that exist today.

I read it the way Taperwood did, but it can certainly be read both ways. In any case, who knows if the region coding is powerful or not. It's hardly difficult to find a dvd player that can be made region free today. Seeing some rumors has it that a dvd-rom with a firmware upgrade can read hdvmd, it sounds feasible that the region coding would be weak on that format as well.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
HD VMD player launched in India

Quote:
The company also started selling an HD VMD Bundle box, featuring the player and five HD VMD titles. Bollywood film distributor Eros is among content partners committed to supplying titles in HD VMD in India.

Exact titles in the hardware/software product bundle were not specified. It is priced at the U.S. equivalent of about $293.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6494939.html

·
Registered
679 Posts
Their web site now lists a number of bundles:

USA

Cutting Room

Mother Ghost

Enigma with Stigma

The Naked Ape

Eight Plague

Scandanavian

Hitcher

Lord of War

Lucky Number Slevin

Saw II

Saw III

Poland

Angel- A

Apocalypto

Fireplace & Aquarium

Lord of War

Passion of The Christ

LazyTown

6 LazyTown episodes

France

La Planète Blanche

Pulp Fiction

Sahara

La princesse au petit pois

Demande A La Poussiere

Australia/New Zealand

Butterfly Effect 2

Fireplace & Aquarium

Scoop

Suburban Mayhem

Miss Potter

4 India bundles

Paheli

Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak

I See You

Saawan

Waqt

Paheli

Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak

I See You

Dor

Kaho Naa Pyar Hai

Ghilli

Boys

Khaka Khaka

Panchathanthiram

Alexander

Ghilli

Boys

Khaka Khaka

Panchathanthiram

Alaipayuthey

Individual titles are listed at $17.49 and will be available mid-November.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan4911 /forum/post/12060497

USA

Cutting Room

Mother Ghost

Enigma with Stigma

The Naked Ape

Eight Plague

Scandanavian

Hitcher

Lord of War

Lucky Number Slevin

Saw II

Saw III

Poland

Angel- A

Apocalypto

Fireplace & Aquarium

Lord of War

Passion of The Christ

LazyTown

6 LazyTown episodes

France

La Planète Blanche

Pulp Fiction

Sahara

Demande A La Poussiere

Australia/New Zealand

Butterfly Effect 2

Fireplace & Aquarium

Scoop

Suburban Mayhem

Miss Potter

Ok, so what we have here is Lionsgatate and a couple other indie labels licensing (or their European distributors) the titles that would conflict with other HDM releases in areas where they can do no harm overseas?

Doesn't sound too promising for US customers, particularly when you factor the recent dips in HD DVD hardware.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Why would LionsGate support VMD but not HD DVD?

My team is confused??

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I wonder if it is possible to make an inexpensive player that plays both VMD and HD DVD?

- Tom

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd nOOb /forum/post/12062122

Why would LionsGate support VMD but not HD DVD?

My team is confused??

Simple, some studios don't own the Euro-rights to their films, thus these sub-letters pick up a little coin releasing to VMD, or the studios releasing to VMD don't see it as a threat to the format they support here. They may have told BD they won't HD DVD, but never said they wouldn't VMD?

Also, the titles in the bundles may not show up retail to even allow for import-export.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan4911 /forum/post/12060497

USA

Cutting Room

Mother Ghost

Enigma with Stigma

The Naked Ape

Eight Plague

Scandanavian

Hitcher

Lord of War

Lucky Number Slevin

Saw II

Saw III

Poland

Angel- A

Apocalypto

Fireplace & Aquarium

Lord of War

Passion of The Christ

LazyTown

6 LazyTown episodes

France

La Planète Blanche

Pulp Fiction

Sahara

Demande A La Poussiere

Australia/New Zealand

Butterfly Effect 2

Fireplace & Aquarium

Scoop

Suburban Mayhem

Miss Potter

4 India bundles

Paheli

Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak

I See You

Saawan

Waqt

Paheli

Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak

I See You

Dor

Kaho Naa Pyar Hai

Ghilli

Boys

Khaka Khaka

Panchathanthiram

Alexander

Ghilli

Boys

Khaka Khaka

Panchathanthiram

Alaipayuthey

Individual titles are listed at $17.49 and will be available mid-November.

So the only place to get the LazyTown bundle is to live in LazyTown? That sucks!!! I want the LazyTown bundle, but I live in the US!!!!

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Shaw /forum/post/11922402

I'll tell you how seriously I'm taking the VMD format:

the cost of current HD hardware and software is much too prohibitive, and the 'war' has put me off committing to one format or another, at least for the time being.

I am not sure where you are getting that this would be any cheaper than HD DVD...so if HD DVD(with $199 players and movies at $19-$30) is " much too prohibitive"...yet these players are $199 and the disks are $17.49...but not available (for the most part) in the US..you will have to import, which would blow away any of that $2-$10 savings.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Some interesting looking titles their. Might something to think about in the future. See what folks think of it first and how well the movies really are.

Anybody got these on pre-order? Any one willing to test them.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well maybe this is not a bowen format after all.

If WB goes to blu-ray maybe I will consider buying one of these. I don't think it will out take blu-ray but at least it give me another option not to buy into it!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It would be ironic if this new interloper format was the first one to get Lord of the Rings, before either HD DVD or Blu-Ray.

And let's make no mistake here, that's exactly what this format is, an interloper. It should be destroyed immediately, but it's too late now and the Pandora's box has officially been opened. A three-format war would destroy high def utterly.

161 - 180 of 260 Posts