AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
428 Posts
Resolution at a Glance

HD: HIGH-DEFINITION 720p (progressive) or 1080i (interlaced) minimum

Digital Transmission About 5x better than conventional TV.

ED: Enhanced-Definition TV 480p (progressive) & 480i (interlaced)

Digital Transmission About 2x better than conventional TV.

SD: Standard TV

Conventional TV 480i (interlaced)

Analog Transmission Standard for past 60 years.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
LMCid did a great job of describing the difference in the signal.

If you were asking about difference in TV's it is a little more gray. A TV can be called a HD by CEA if it displays more than 480 lines( can't remember the exact number but way below 720) and can accept HD signals. Most rear projection CRT displays only display about 500.

There are alot of great ED plasma's out there. It can be hard for people to see the difference between HD and ED if you are comparing the same HD Signal. A HD Plasma is atleast 900 more than a ED plasma. So you have to ask yourself is the HD one worth 900 more, well that depends on you. Some here will argue that HD is the only way to go, other will argue that it is not worth the money.

You have to decide what is most important?

Price

Form Factor

Picture Quality.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
480i doesn't qualify as ED. It is SD analog, not digital.

I also disagree with "It can be hard for people to see the difference between HD and ED if you are comparing the same HD Signal"

It is very clear if you have two monitors side by side and one is 1080i/720p and the other is 480p. The difference is clear, true HD will ALWAYS win. Don't cheap out and go for ED, you will regreat it in the near future.

· Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
I also disagree with "It can be hard for people to see the difference between HD and ED if you are comparing the same HD Signal"
The confusion and argument on this one typically depends upon viewing distance, plus of course the quality of the signal. But at greater than about 7 screen heights viewing distance EDTV or even SDTV might be hard to detect. However HDTV is designed to appear fully detailed without artifacts all the way down to only 3 screen heights viewing distance, where EDTV displays would show obvious pixel structure or raster scan.

- Tom

· Registered
9,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LMCid
Resolution at a Glance

HD: HIGH-DEFINITION 720p (progressive) or 1080i (interlaced) minimum

Digital Transmission About 5x better than conventional TV.

ED: Enhanced-Definition TV 480p (progressive) & 480i (interlaced)

Digital Transmission About 2x better than conventional TV.

SD: Standard TV

Conventional TV 480i (interlaced)

Analog Transmission Standard for past 60 years.
EDTV is part of the NTSC specification, right? While stating 480i/p this make no comment on aspect format (4:3 vs. 16:9). I previously looked at EDTV as being Widescreen with 480 lines, interlaced or not. And while not part of the NTSC specification-set, I really didn't know it was digital-only in transmission. Very interesting! Does this mean that in order to receive EDTV one needs either a cable/DBS receiver and or an ATSC tuner?

Quote:
Originally posted by miniz
480i doesn't qualify as ED. It is SD analog, not digital.

It is very clear if you have two monitors side by side and one is 1080i/720p and the other is 480p. The difference is clear, true HD will ALWAYS win. Don't cheap out and go for ED, you will regreat it in the near future.
480i doesn't qualify as ED? This is contrary to what LMCid stated. Can you clarify?

· Registered
9,884 Posts

· Registered
9,977 Posts
Good info.

· Registered
2,374 Posts
The Ferret: ............. I did not 'cheap out' and do not and will not regret buying a new ED plasma display! It is best in this world if we do not try to judge what is best for others. Happy viewing, my friend.

· Registered
2,374 Posts
miniz: I am viewing 2 sets..Sony direct view HD and a ED Panansonic and am viewing same signal at 12 feet. And, to my eyes, one is no better (on total) than the other except one is bigger and that is why I bought the Panansonic.

· Registered
9,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mangopony
The Ferret: ............. I did not 'cheap out' and do not and will not regret buying a new ED plasma display! It is best in this world if we do not try to judge what is best for others. Happy viewing, my friend.
I never used those words I placed in red above. They were words spoken by Miniz, which I quoted in reply.

· Registered
436 Posts
My wife wants a flat/thin TV. Price is a major concern. The only sources that would be viewed on the set are from DirecTV SD (S-video) and progressive scan DVD (component). Would ED be acceptable? What advantages would an HD set have using only the sources listed above?

TIA,

Eben

· Registered
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eben
My wife wants a flat/thin TV. Price is a major concern. The only sources that would be viewed on the set are from DirecTV SD (S-video) and progressive scan DVD (component). Would ED be acceptable? What advantages would an HD set have using only the sources listed above?

TIA,

Eben
An EDTV like a 37" or 42" Panasonic plasma would be ideal for your listed sources, it can do fine with HD sources too from a distance >8feet.

· Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joxer
EDTV is progressive 480p, NTSC is interlaced 480i - they are not the same.
I agree, a 480i signal is NTSC which is not the same as EDTV 480P. That said, it is impossible to watch 480i on a fixed panel or most progressive scan displays. The signal gets converted into 480P or some other higher resolution by a scaler; be it the display's internal one, HTPC, external unit, progressive DVD player, etc....

A few years ago this was only available to a few people who were able to afford $20K+ doublers from companies like Faroujda and $30K+ Runco CRT projectors to watch laserdiscs, or other NTSC material. They were watching ED as we know it today at a huge price.

When the HD displays started coming out there was a lot of confusion on whether they were true HD or not. Some people were led to believe that an upconverted signal shown on a display not capable of 720P qualified as HD. The convention for ED then came out to try to erase this mess.

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,779 Posts
One issue about 480p, is that I don't think it's ever been seen from a broadcast source natively.

480p from a DVD player is natively 480i, as is/was FOX Widescreen. Both are de-interlaced to get 480p.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joxer
EDTV is progressive 480p, NTSC is interlaced 480i - they are not the same.
Isn't this exactly what I said above? "480i doesn't qualify as ED. It is SD analog, not digital."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.