AVS Forum banner

HD-XA2 HD DVD PQ v. A2 / A1 / XA1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have owned &/or tested both a Toshiba HD-XA2 and an earlier model (HD-A2, HD-A1, or HD-XA1) under identical-test conditions, please share your opinion of the relative HD DVD picture quality (PQ) you've actually seen.

Feel free to elaborate in a reply (esp. to say which model you compared the XA2 to).

(This only polls for HD DVD performance since SD DVD performance is supposed to have been at least noticably improved, but feel free to describe SD DVD performance in your reply to the thread.)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac /forum/post/0

this poll may be too early..... probably want to wait until after the 1080p24 firmware.

That shouldn't matter much: (1) Most HDTV's aren't a p24-multiple anyway, (2) that firmware seems at least a month or two away, and (3) if PQ has already improved without the p24 update, it won't get any worse with it.

It is true, though, that next week's firmware update might improve some things for some people with specific problems, but (1) it'll take a while before everyone has adopted it and (2) if PQ is already improved, the firmware shouldn't make it any worse.

Meanwhile, there's people with A2/A1/XA1's who want to know now if there's enough of a difference for them to want to upgrade. They might die of anticipation if you make them wait a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiginNJ /forum/post/0

Interesting. So far a significant majority reports improved PQ, but 28% (so far) feel the PQ isn't noticably better or is worse than the earlier Toshiba models. I wonder why.

There still aren't many responses, so any vote is going to have a significant impact.

However, there is a thread about judder problems with more than one person experiencing a problem that they say was not there with the A1. That has me thinking twice about ordering this until I hear more...

·
Registered
39 Posts
It will be suspect anyway because you're asking people who bought a $1000 player to compare to the $500 player they're replacing. I'm sure it's easy for the buyer to look at the PQ and see intangibles that make it better.

I'd like to see the results of a blind test.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr /forum/post/0

I thought the most significant difference on this player was its SD-DVD scaling. For HD-DVD's it should just be a noticable increase. But for SD-DVD, it's supposed to be a night-and-day increase.

I haven't really seen anybody say that yet (I definitely could've missed it). Don't get me wrong - I've seen plenty of glowing reports on it's video processing/upscaling abilities with SD material. I just haven't seen any direct comparisons between the upscaling on, say, the A1 and the XA2. I don't doubt the XA2 is better (it would pretty much have to be) - it's just the degree to which it is better...

And I haven't seen any real comparison on HD-DVD performance to say it's even noticeably better. One user thought it looked worse than the A1 (although, I believe that was just an initial observation without playing with any settings, if I recall).

Still, I would have ordered one based on what I've read so far and hope I saw an improvement if it weren't for the judder and, to a lesser degree, power off issues that are being reported. Right now, sticking with my A1 seems safer than spending $800-$900 on the XA2.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm interested in finding out it the XA2's performance is any better on a 720P set or if this player is only worth the price increase if you have a 1080P set.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Going from an HD-A1 to a HD-XA2 and doing a side to side comparison I would have to say the PQ is much better on the XA2 to my eyes. (1080i vs 1080p)

I have a Sony 1080p set that accepts 1080p/60 and with the A1 and XA2 outputting 1080i there wasn't any noticeable difference. The tv would deinterlace the signal and output 1080p. With the XA2 set to output 1080p there was a

difference,(not night and day) but the overall PQ seemed sharper.

Could this mean that the XA2 is just better at processing a video signal compared to my tv? Very possible, and it probably is.(just speculating)

So, for me, having a set that accepts 1080p/60 makes the XA2 a worth wile investment. Now if my set only accepted 1080p/24.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 /forum/post/0

Going from an HD-A1 to a HD-XA2 and doing a side to side comparison I would have to say the PQ is much better on the XA2 to my eyes. (1080i vs 1080p) ....

Thank you for elaborating on your vote; it really does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws_kahuna /forum/post/0

I'm interested in finding out it the XA2's performance is any better on a 720P set or if this player is only worth the price increase if you have a 1080P set.

Hard to know for sure from the survey -- it doesn't distinguish 1080i v. 720p, but the votes from those people also report improvements. I do remember seeing, though, a couple of 720p people who weren't impressed when they got their player; I think their problem may have been that their expensive projector was already doing a pretty good up-converting to that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr /forum/post/0

...But for SD-DVD, it's supposed to be a night-and-day increase.

I've seen a number of raves about the SD up-conversion, and the Reon processor "should" make it better than the other players. On the other hand, I like my A2's upconversion a little more than my Oppo, so I'm not sure how much better the XA2 could really be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech /forum/post/0

It seems unlikely you will get a sample for this survey large enough to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Patience, young Jedi.
We already have about twenty votes, and that's about ten times more than I was able to guess from reading hundreds of postings in multiple threads. I'm already getting a sense that there is a perceptable difference for most people. (Thank you, all you XA2 owner-voters.)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Can anyone explain why there should be any difference in 1080i output (not 1080p, but 1080i) between the A2 and the XA2 for HD-DVDs (I don't care about DVDs) ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think most people have a psychological feeling that PQ is better. You will not notice any gains unless you have a huge screen. If you do notice a difference on an average sized display, then you have some great eyes

·
Registered
29,927 Posts
HD DVD picture quality is identical to my eyes between the HD-A1 and the HD-XA2.

The XA2 will play problem discs that freeze up the A1, but it also has an intermittent video judder problem not present on the A1 (hopefully addressable by firmware).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.