AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the upcoming TI HD II chip will be less expensive to produce than the HD1 and will have improved black levels. Will this chip be superior in all aspects to the current model? I have hopes that a projector that improves upon the HD1 projectors will actually be less expensive and made available within a year or so. There seems to be a general consensus of features and price point that people want in a DLP pj. After all, when I purchased my Power Mac G4 at $3,300 I knew very well what features it really needed, but it just wasn't being made at the time. Now, today's imac, with features that are reasonably future proof and should accomodate the needs of most users for a long time blows away my 1999 top of the line G4, at 2/3 the price. So why not a similar advance in projectors? Any comments or info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Martin,

This issue is currently being debated in the thread 'Buy now or wait!?!' As yet, it is unclear what the advantages of the newer HD2 chip will be and so we are at the point of 'crystal ball gazing'. It is possible, but not certain, that HD2 pj's will have better projected black and may be cheaper. But Sam Runco has been quoted as saying that the jump from HD1 to HD2 will be much less significant in terms of picture improvements than the jump from 4:3 to 16:9 chips and subsequent colour wheel speed up increases to nearly eliminate rainbows. I currently own the HT300 HD1 pj and am over the moon with picture I'm getting. I guess the answer is, dive in now or wait and see.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Paul, good luck with the HT 300. I'd be more than happy to own one myself. My Toshiba 42H81 HDTV will have to do for a while. Have you seen the SGHT review? I have seen the Sharp 9000 under superb conditions and was impressed, so since the HT300 is probably even better, it must be a lot of fun to watch a DVD from. Steven Stones' review was not exactly a rave, even though he states that the HT300 is the best DLP he has seen yet. Guess DLP isn't quite his bag yet. Sharp is on the right track with the pricing of the 9000. I guess an under $8000 HT300 is too much to wish for at this time.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
helmut, what do you mean by "given free?

Maybe I'll be able to find out more at the Stereophile show here in NYC this month.

I hope Sharp, Marantz, Sim2 and other DLP makers have well set up demonstration rooms with calibrated pj's. I also hope they have the answers to the various problems that have come up with their pj's, so that we can all get on with having a great time, rather than debating service/reliability issues.

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Martin Butler

that would be great, because still today - as I know - the HD2 chip will given to suppliers for developing and testing, but not for producing pj.

Also I hope, you will see a well calibrated Marantz there. What I have seen today, I can only say, the Marantz is not worth of the money - but more in a other post tommorow (I have to check it again)

hb

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Helmut, I thought that was what you meant, but was just checking.

Personally I would want a long throw lense, and as far as I know Marantz doesn't't have one yet. I read somewhere that Texas Instruments was a bit disappointed at the pricing of DLP's. I guess they hoped DLP's would be less expensive and therefore would sell more. When a projector with all the features and quality of the Sharp 9000 is available under $5000 I bet the Home Theater business skyrockets.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Martin,

I have seen a better pj than the Sharp 9000 for less money, but will be this a only a personal meaning? Sometimes its ugly to say, because specs tell another speach.

To TI -> LCOS will the great competitor to DLP- > therefor it might be, that TI is still unhappy with the situation at the moment. But we will see

hb

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
"..But Sam Runco has been quoted as saying that the jump from HD1 to HD2 will be much less significant in terms of picture improvements than the jump from 4:3 to 16:9 chips and subsequent colour wheel speed up increases to nearly eliminate rainbows..."

Mr Runco stole that from me!! Hehe I've been saying that for months now, but then again I have not seen a HD2 like he probably has.

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Martin,

"Steven Stones' review was not exactly a rave"

It is highly likely that SGHT reviewed an earlier version of the HT300. I believe SS compared the HT300 to the Sharp Z9000 and found the Sim2 half as bright. This matches peoples original experiences of the HT300 compared to the Sharp. Early US models were known to be particularly dim. Early adopters have since recieved a free hardware upgrade. This combined with the latest software download have increased the light output by over 20%, improved grey scale tracking, shadow detail and colour saturation and moved the contrast raitio to close on 900:1. I think you owe it to yourself to at least have a demo of this excellent pj if only to see what these new pj's are really capable of.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Quote:
The MX20 is the DDR chip. The HD2 chip is 16:9 aspect ratio
Still, the degree of improved black level over previous 4x3 chips with the new high-angle tilt 4x3 DDR chip should be comparable to the improvement we'll see with the new HD2 chip over the HD1.

Reports so far seem to indicate a rather significant increase in black-level and image saturation with the new DDR chip over conventional chips.

That's a sign to me that the HD2 might offer more than a marginal improvement in picture quality over the HD1.

-dave

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Hewlett Packard XB31 using a new 4:3 TI chip with the 12 degree mirrors the HD2 will have is reporting a near doubling of both contrast and brightness over HD1. That's pretty darn significant IMO.

HD1 was a 4:3 chip masked to reconfigure it to 16:9. Apparently, HD2 is a true 16:9 chip.

Hard to imagine a Seleco, Sharp or Marantz with this kind of performance increase. I'd expect to see these next generation DLPs displayed at CES.

These are exciting times in digital projection! :)

Dan

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi David, Dan, you both make such interesting points, now I am even happier to wait and see. Even though I don't expect to get a pj until next year anyway, it doesn't mean I'm not interested in the HD1 projectors. They may be my first access to DLP when they are discontinued models and have lower prices. Paul, I will certainly look for a demo at the Sterephile show here later this month.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
It won't affect rainbow issues as that's a color-wheel issue. I can still see occasional rainbows with the Sharp 9000 but it doesn't bother me.

As far as eye-strain...it might help in that I've noticed that projected images that are brighter with higher-contrast/black tend to be easier to look at as your mind has to do less "processing" to believe what it's seeing. I saw ET in 70 mm at the Uptown here in Wash DC and I almost got a headache from the washed-out low-contrast picture....it kept constantally distracting me.

Hopefully they'll figure out a few new tricks as far as color wheels go to help things on that end as well (regarding eye strain).

-dave

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ DanHouck

as I know, based on the specs, the XB31 will use the 12° Ti-Chip with new surface. The new surface will give - by specs of TI - a contrast-ratio of 1800:1; but a rumor was telling, that this chip will have qualityproblems, so that another company - very wellknown for its marketing - will not use this chip today.

hb

·
Registered
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaViD Boulet
It won't affect rainbow issues as that's a color-wheel issue. I can still see occasional rainbows with the Sharp 9000 but it doesn't bother me.
Good for you that it doesn't bothers you. Too bad for me that it still bothers me:(

I find it pretty strange that the DLP manufacters are not looking for a solution on this matter! Do they consider this issue solved! For me it is defenitively not solved, so I hope the new projectors will have a faster colour-wheel. Do anyone know somthing about this?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
D boy, David, Flavio, I too have some concerns about this. I hope it's not like the chroma bug problem where many people don't notice, so manufacturers try to ignore the problem until it blows up in their face. Someone must have some info regarding efforts to getting rid of the rainbows.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.