AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my DirecTV install, I hooked up the Sony HD100 satellite receiver to my Panasonic 34 inch widescreen via component cables. I set the "Output control" to the "1080i" on the HD100. HDTV broadcasts like HBO West fill up the entire 16:9 viewing area. However, all other channels display black bars on left/right side to preserve a 4:3 image. Why can't the Panasonic "Aspect Control" override the DSS signal and allow me to force it to the "Full" or "Justified" modes? I understand I'll lose some quality and experience some distortion, but at least, can I have that choice?

Thanks,

Philip

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
As far as I know, every direct view and rear projection set does not have aspect control when a 720p or 1080i signal is being received, regardless of the content. No STB will do this either, yet. This won't help you, but the next software upgrade for the Dish 6000 will allow aspect control for 720/1080 signals. Hopefully, other STBs will allow this in the future.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You need to set the HD100 to Variable mode (3). In this mode, 480i programs are passed through as 480i and everything else is upconverted to 1080i. When receiving a 480i signal, your Panasonic Tau will give you Aspect ratio control back.

Tony

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, cool. Thanks. I just thought I had to keep it at 1080i since the Panasonic supports 480p, not 480i. I'm still learning...

Also, I found a similar thread by searching the archives (imagine that) and tried another recommended approach: using the HD100's analog video mode for sdtv broadcasts (using s-video cable) and switching back to 1080i for hdtv content (component cable). However, I concluded that the subtle gains in color balance via s-video for sdtv (vs. the variable mode via component) are not going to be worth it for other viewers in my home to press the output button on the HD100 remote and then the video/tv button on the Panny remote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.