AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not an auspicious start for service on the HD100. I called Sony customer service to ask how to access the service menu to adjust the raster (the image is off-center on my set). The customer service rep obviously had no idea what I was talking about, and referred me to the Sony service center (1-900-555-7669). They guy at the service center knew what raster is but he didn't know, and couldn't find out, how to access the service menu, ostensibly because the product is so new. He said it would take a long time to get an answer out of the engineering department. In fact his comments suggested that Sony treats information about accessing the service menu - even if the product were older - as if it were a state secret. He also suggested I ask the dealer if I wanted a quick answer. Given the technical incompetence of the dealer, this is another way of suggesting that I give up and return the product.

The guy at the service center didn't seem to be aware of the fan noise issue but he didn't seem surprised by it either.

Has anyone had any better luck with this process?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you tried to call one of Sony's 1-800 number (I don't have it with me right now), and order the service manual from them? I ordered my 36xbr400 TV's manual that way.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
D.Cooke,

Actually a manufacturer's unwillingness to give out the codes to get into their service menus is extremely common. The reason is simple to understand. They have no idea what level of technical proficiency a given caller has, and the ease with which the average joe could royally screw up a given deviceis very high. Actually, I don't recall EVER getting a code from a manufacturer, short of getting the service manual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. Li, good suggestion, I'll try it, though if the service center didn't have one yet I'm wondering how long this will take.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary, good question, I'm using a Loewe Aconda with the VGA input and yes, it has a VGA geometry setting that I've adjusted to better center the image from the HD100. Since the native VGA output from the HD100 is shifted so far to the right, I have to maximize the leftward shift on the Loewe geometry setting, and even then the image is not completely centered, although the screen is filled. So it's a good enough solution pending information on raster adjustment for the HD100.

I don't know if most STBs have this adjustment - perhaps not since most do not have VGA out - but I had the RCA for a while and it did have the adjustment accessible through its service menu.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.