AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have problems with Music Choice? I hear a glitch in the audio that I don't get with regular channels. It's not a dropout (no sound) but more like a chunk of data got lost. It sounds a little piece of tape was cut out of a cassette and spliced back together. I can't figure out a pattern here - sometimes it's fine and at other times it screws up every few seconds. The problem exists on both the optical and analog outputs. My Hughes el cheapo box works fine, but it's not hooked up to the whole house system. Plus I really like the song title info on the front panel of the Sony.

I've called Sony's support line. The only solution they had was to reboot the box. That didn't work.

Any ideas??

thanks

Pete

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have recently come to notice this problem as well with my HD 100. You describe it really well too... it sounds like something's just plain missing every once and a while, and fairly frequently.

I also do not have this problem with my Hughes E45.

BTW... how do you "reboot the box" (or are you just plain unplugging it)?

Dave

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does it happen when the title/song info is being updated on the screen(this happens throughout each selection many times) ? This may be the same problem we are having with the video dropouts on the hour and half hour--the guide is being updated. I think that there may be a memory conflict/problem with the HD 100--it can't process certain information at the same time because there is not enough memory in the unit or some type of conflict. It's almost like when you are linking to a site which has a lot of graphics-everything slows down AND then catches up. I'll check my box tonight for the music channels.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have seen (heard) this also. Sometimes I can listen for hours with no problems, other times it happens every few seconds.

Roger

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have noticed problem also. I am thinking it is related to the lip sync and video dropout issue (ie MPEG decoder).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The only thing that I have noticed so far is that on my old box the song, artist and CD info would remain displayed. This now drops out (like the other drop-outs) with the HD100. I have not listened intently enough to notice an audio glitch. However it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave

The tech guy said the satellite feed and power needs to be be disconnected for 45 seconds to force a reboot. He also said it wouldn't work if I disconnected the power cord from the back of the box instead of unplugging it from the wall. Maybe the power cord dribbles electrons into the thingamigger. At least he didn't make me unhook the sat cable from the dish!

RZ

The problem is totally unpredictable. Like Roger says, sometimes it's ok for hours. Other times the glitch hits every few seconds. I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with the scrolling song-artist-title information on the front panel display since the normal DirecTV channels work OK and DON'T scroll the display.

I haven't noticed a lip sync problem on DirecTV channels - are those channels affected or just HD? I've only watched about fifteen minutes of analog OTA since I got the box; no problems there other than crappy analog NTSC. We still don't have digital OTA here in the desert, so I'm clueless on that!

I have video dropouts on my Hughes box too. I think remember an old post about dropouts on the DTC100 that someone tracked down to the multiswitch getting confused with multiple boxes hooked to it. Or did I just dream that up??

thanks for the feedback

Pete

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petew:
Dave

The tech guy said the satellite feed and power needs to be be disconnected for 45 seconds to force a reboot. He also said it wouldn't work if I disconnected the power cord from the back of the box instead of unplugging it from the wall. Maybe the power cord dribbles electrons into the thingamigger.
OK, I can understand disconnecting the sat feed... but just try to convince me that it makes a difference which end of the power cord you unplug!

Maybe the Sony techs need to refocus here... they must be working so hard on our problems that they're getting a little punchy.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.