AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in the Dallas area have lip sync problem watching ABC/WFAA with their HD100? Also anyone know what happened to KDFW-DT/FOX? I can't get any signal from them for the past week.

Thanks,

Ming

·
Registered
437 Posts
I live in Connecticut and have an E* HD 6000 HDTV receiver with OTA module. ABC is notorious for lip sync problems. Some programs worse than others. ABC is the only network broadcasting in 720p. Whether this has anything to do with it, I don't know. I watched Armageddon last night on our local ABC affiliate and the lip sync problem was there but in different degrees all night long. At a point near the end of the movie I was loosing the audio entirely. When it was there however, it was in 5.1 DD and very good. I have a friend with the RCA 100 HDTV receiver and he sees the same audio problem.

Don

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ming

I have had a problem with lip sync on WFAA channel 8.1 on my HD100 since I got it. Last night Armageddon was really bad. I am getting mid to high 80's signal strength on channel 9 using both a radio shack antenna for VHF and a Channelmaster 3021 for UHF - had no break up or other OTA problems of any significance. Except for the lip sync problem, I get great OTA reception.

I posted this in one of the other HD100 lip sync threads as well. I have also reported this to Sony, but maybe we need to call or email WFAA. The problem starts and gets worse until a dropout resyncs it or a commercial starts. Changing channels and jumping back also fixes. I have been receiving KDFW (35 mapped to 4.1 - signal strength 98 - 100) with no problems. I live around Preston and Frankford, just south of Plano.

Just out of curiosity, do you recieve any station call letters or PSIP info on any other channels than KDAF - 32.1? I get almost all of these on my DTC 100, but only KDAF on the Sony.

warren

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am getting video breakups every few minutes but the signal strength is pretty constant around 75-80. The breakup usually occurs after the lip sync becomes bad, then it'll go back to normal.

I lost the FOX station after I re-mapped the digital channels. After the remap, it went to 35.1 and I was getting signal strength of 95. But last week, I can't get any signal at all. Could that be a multi-path issue? I'll try to adjust the antenna tonight. I got a Radio Shack UHF/VHF 190.

About the PSIP, I am also only getting that for KDAF.

Ming

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rescanned the stations Tuesday and got KDFW back on 4.1 with signal strength of 86. However, I lost the station signal again on Wednesday.

Ming

·
Registered
203 Posts
Warren53,

I am also in Dallas and I am considering purchasing a STB.

I believe that at least one of the HDTV channels in Dallas is broadcast on a VHF channel while others are on UHF and before purchasing an STB I would like to learn whether one antenna will be sufficient or whether I will need two.

My understanding was that the HD-100 could only handle one 8VSB input. How are you configuring your two antennas with your HD-100? Are you using both antennas for HDTV and switching them? Or are you using only one for HDTV?

I would also love to hear the experiences of others in Dallas, or in other cities where HDTV signals are broadcast on both VHF and UHF.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WFAA/ABC is VHF. I have a Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna. If you split the signal from the antenna, you can connect one to the digital TV input and the other to the analog TV input.

Ming

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The only way you are going to fix the problem is to contact the station and work with them to fix the HD audio sync. It can be fix because our ABC in Sac audio is perfect. The station may not hear and see the sync problem using their broadcasting equipment. The need feed back from a consumer STB. I would call the station and ask to speak to an Engineer and offer to be available on the next HD broadcast so they can make changes to the audio and you can give immediately feed back. Or offer to lead an STB to the station so the problem can be addressed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live in Dallas just east of Preston & Genstar and have an RCA DTC100 STB using a roof mounted Radio Shack (don't remember model # but it is a combo VHF/UHF, on sale for about $50). The HD reception is great but it is worthless for analog (terrible ghosting). I haven't done any remapping (don't even know if it possible with the DTS) nor attempted to use the off-air program guide. I have experienced the loss of audio sync. After reading another thread it appears the problem lies in the encoding done at the broadcast end. It would be nice if the stations could get their acts together. Next time I experience this I'm going to call the station and see what they say.

Neil

·
Registered
66 Posts
Neil

I live on Genstar, nice to see someone close getting good DTV signals - both of my antennas are in my attic. I have adjusted my antennas to get rid of most ghosting on the analog stations, but there is still a faint ghost from multipath on some - thinking about stacking antennas to see if this helps. I am currently using a radio shack for the VHF - the UHF gain was too low with the antenna in the attic, so I put up a channelmaster 3021 for UHF and used a VHF/UHF joiner. I have just ordered another VHF only antenna with more gain in the lo band to see if this helps on channels 2,4, and 5. My DTV reception is between 85 and 100 on almost all stations and even pick up 14 with no signal strength problems. The worst lip sync problems I have are WFAA, channel 9 and the signal strength for it is 90+. If you turn on the guide on the DTC-100 it will remap the stations.

warren

·
Registered
203 Posts
For Digital broadcasts only, has anyone had the problem that they need a VHF antenna to receive NBC, CBS and FOX but a separate UHF antenna to receive ABC? Or has everyone's experience been that a single combined VHF/UHF antenna is sufficient to receive all four stations' digital brodcasts?

[This message has been edited by lhl12 (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm using an attic mounted VHF/UHF Radio Shack antennae rated for 80-120 miles (Frisco is a long way from Cedar Hill). The only digital or analog station I'm not getting is KERA-PBS digital (which is on 14 if I'm not mistaken). The rest all come in fine. I'm just east of Preston too, but way, way north.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am at Parker and Coit (35 miles from Cedar Hill) and can get all digital channels except PBS-DT (channel 14). Although Fox (channel 35) has been coming in and out lately (does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?). I have an attic mounted VHF/UHF Radio Shack antenna model VU-190. UHF analog channels (CBS, PBS, UPN, WB, etc) are pretty clear with minimal ghosting. VHF analog channels (FOX, NBC, ABC) are not as clear. But I usually watch the digital channels for those anyway.

Ming

·
Registered
313 Posts
WFAA-DT Here

This is from Sony:

Im still working on compatability issues with the Sony Settop box. Our latest issue that i have been investigating is the audio / video lip sync issue. I have analized your transmitions and it appears that WFAA is not sending B frames. B frames are bi-directional frames used to predict motion in advance. We use them (wrightly or not) to Syncronise the audio to the Video.

If the audio is ahead as what happens we repeat the B frames to slow the audio. If the audio is behind we use them twice. I believe the last time we talked you had said that you had a Harris/Lucent video encoder is this correct?

============================================================ =============

We hope to change the settings in the Lucent encoder soon. Have to get some help from Lucent as it is not very apparent in their software on how to make this change. The expert has not been available when we called.

For those of you with lipsync issues I would like to know your decoder and is it our upconverted or just ABC HD Movies that are off. We watch with a Sony WEGA 34" early Sony decoder or the RCA DTC-100. I have put the ABC clap board on the air and felt it pretty close using the early Sony decoder.

JStigler

·
Registered
66 Posts
lhl12

You should be able to pick up all the digital channels with a good combination UHF/VHF antenna. I even got good reception on 9 with just the Channelmaster 3021 which is just UHF. I went the route of separate UHF and VHF antennas to try to get better analog reception as well as better DTV reception due to better gain on the separate antennas. The specs for the CM 3021 show a UHF gain of about 10.2 dBwhile most of the combination antennas have a UHF gain of 7.x dB or so, depending on the antenna. The 3021 also has good front to back rejection and separate antennas are not quite as long as a combo due to their design, allowing me to fit them better in the attic. I would rather have better antenna gain and not have to use a preamp due to extra noise. Where I live I get good enough signal not to need a preamp.

You are right on the HD-100 having only one DTV antenna input (as well as only one cable/analog input). I ran some extra RJ6 so I have two runs to the HD-100 and just feed both the analog and DTV inputs off of the splitter I have in the attic. I would also recommend buying good splitters with at least 1ghz bandwidth, monster and others make 2ghz splitters as well, I have been using these with good results. If you are running new cable, RJ6 has less loss than RJ59. Besides Radio Shack, Frys has antennas and I ordered mine from http://www.starkelectronic.com Besides a few of the lip sync problems or low signal from KERA, the OTA in Dallas is pretty good - much better picture than the analog broadcasts, and in Dolby Digital for most.

Also great to hear about the diagnosis and progress on WFAA.

Hope this helps.

warren

[This message has been edited by Warren53 (edited 05-04-2001).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
JStigler

I am using the HD100 and have seen the lip sync problem on both movies, like Armageddon as well as normal (I think upconverted) shows like Who wants to be a Millionaire. Have not been in town much this week, but will watch more closely when I get home and let you know.

Another question, I thought I got WFAA call letters on my DTC 100 guide and a Panny I saw in a local store (have not checked it lately), but do not get any info on the HD100 guide - any ideas on this - I have reported it to Sony, but all they say is that they are working on it.

Thanks

Warren

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JStigler,

I have HD100 and am having lib sync problems with both the HD movies and the upconverted shows like news broadcasts. This happens for both subchannels (8.1 and 8.2).

Ming

·
Registered
313 Posts
PSIP info DFW

Since I have not see the Sony HD-100 I can't speak for it's pgm guide. On the RCA DTC-100 you can see call letters on all but ch 18. I put some pgm guide info in the PSIP stream on WFAA-DT some nights. Until Harris updates their PSIP pgm we and other out of the area stations are not getting the info from psip.com It just doesn't work. I have been trying to get this going for some time. If you want the stations to be in the proper order on your system you have to run the Guide in ON. If the station doesn't send PSIP info then you lose the association to the analog channel and you think they are off the air (DT that is). This is also why in some markets on PBS that the channel goes to ch80 on PBS HD. That is the PSIP channel out of PBS national feed that the local just passes through. There should be a black box soon that will allow us to change this info within the 19Mb stream with out uncompressing it. I am sure you have seen this talked about in other markets.

Well enough for now. Hang in there and always give us feedback.

[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
JStigler:

While I am unfortunately still on the sideline in the Digital TV game, I want to thank you for your valuable feedback. I DO think WFAA has their act together. Keep up the good work and the feedback on this forum, the viewers DO appreciate it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Warren,

Thanks for the info on remapping, it worked fine. I would like to remove all analog stations from the guide but I haven't found a method to accomplish this since a few of the stations, for example, NBC appears on 5 and 5-1, if deleted from the guide take both analog and digital stations away on the DTC100.

I don't get the signal strengths you do, even with roof top mounting. 14 doesn't come in at all and the rest range from 76 on ABC to 94 on UPN. Other than atmospheric interference decreasing signal strength below the minimum threshold for locking in on a given channel, the levels are sufficient since once locked in the picture should be as good as it gets.

Since I watch the local off-air stations on Direct TV, the analog ghosting is not a problem.

To change the subject, I'm glad to see JStigler responding to the audio sync problems on WFAA. After hearing war stories of other areas dealing with the problem and the stations' lack of concern, it's nice to know that WFAA cares and is working on the situation.

Neil

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.