AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased, but have not yet installed a Sony HD100.

My wife and I decided last nite to cancel our DirectTV subscription and keep our Cox Cable Service, after sampling the Direct TV satellite system for the last 4 months. We are just not impressed with either the quality of the programming, the cost of the DirectTV subscription, or the complexity and amount of time it takes to navigate the system. So we are going to call them up today and pull the plug.

My question is this: is there a way for me to use the HD100 to only receive local over the air High Definition transmissions without having to subscribe to Direct TV? If the HD100 can be used for OTA reception only, are there a lot of work arounds that would make it advantageous for me to return the HD100 and get a HD receiver without the built in Satellite receiver?

We need advice asap, as the time period to return the HD100 for full refund is beginning to run out on us.

Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dennis,

Just plug it in and hook it up to an cable and an antenna. I have used the HD100 for three weeks without a dish.

John

·
Registered
203 Posts
One problem you might have if you use the DTC-100 for OTA without having a DirecTV subscription is that software upgrades for the box are downloaded to it via the satellite feed. Without satellite you wouldn't be able to take advantage of bug fixes or software improvements. If the box works fine for you as is then you should be OK, however.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We appreciate all the quality advice and feedback from Forum members to our post.

I am going to hook up the HD100 today with an OTA antena and see what kind of results we get. I am wondering if I need a special "digital" antenna to pick up HDTV, or will any UHF/VHF antenna do the trick?

I will also hook the HD100 up to the Dish and see if that makes any difference for us in our decision to keep our Direct TV subscription, but frankly I doubt it will. The programming, relative cost, video/audio quality and ease of use issues are too large for us. There may be some merit in our keeping at least the basic programmng but I am not even sure about that.

We are currently paying approx. $55 per month to Direct TV for which we recieve a package that includes their expanded basic channels, plus 3-4 Showtime Premium movie channels, plus a group of sports channels. The sports package is a joke. Mostly all commentary talk. Some Hockey (which I don't watch). Lots of channels for advertisement of Direct TV programming. No local channels (those are extra!!) No NBA basketball. No NCAA Tournament programing.

So guess why we watch Cox Cable? For half the money we get all of the mainstream sports programs, including all our local channels.

Then there are the movie channels and the quality of the audio/video on Satelite. The 1040i OTA transmissions I have seen on HDTV's, including my own model (Sharp 64HLP4000 - similar to Pioneer 700) look very good to me. I expected the Satellite to at least give me DVD quality. It doesent. Maybe I am just an analogue video guy....I don't know. But when I watch satelite transmissions of movies and sporting events, edge details are softened and seem a little fuzzy and out of focus. Surface textural details appear flattened and smeared. Even with all the "snow" I prefer watching these programs on cable because details like the golf ball and the hole in the putting green and the baseball the pitcher is throwing are a lot easier to see. In analogue movie transmissions I can clearly make out the detail of the stuble of the beard on an actors face. With 480i satellite transmissions the actor's beard often looks more like some kind of smeared discoloration on his face. If you are wondering about my set-up, both the TV and the Satellite Dish were professionally installed and adjusted (and readjusted several times because our dissappointment with the video quality). These issues hardly, if ever, crop up for us when we watch and listen to DVD's thru our system.

I havent even gotten to the wife acceptance factor (WAF) yet! With a 1000 channels, most of which don't have anything on them most of the time, navigating around the satelite system is so complex and time consuming, my wife isn't even remotely interested in using the system. Using the Cox Cable system is a straight forward snap for her. I understand I could, with some effort, program the Satelite receiver to group those channels we want and block out the ones we don't want, but given the other previously mentioned issues we have, it doesent seem like a prudent use of my time.

If you are getting the impression that I am deeply disappointed with Satellite TV, you are correct. My elliptical dish and Mits HR5 receiver with wiring, other parts and pro installation cost nearly $1000. Was it worth it? No. Would I do it again, even at a fraction of the cost? Absolutely not. For me, the Dish doesent cut it. And, for $55/month we can rent and purchase DVD's that will provide both my wife and I with a lot more enjoyment and effective use of our home theatre system than will ever get from Direct TV.

At this point, I would be happy to just to receive a few OTA High Definition programs so we can start to enjoy the full potential of our Home Theatre System in a way that makes sense.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
DB, first you have to either get the Oval dish so you can receive 101, 119 and 119 will give you two HD channels that I would think is a must have or point your round dish to 119. Your antenna should be fine depending on your area for local HD and SD. Once you see you local in digital you will not want to pay for cable for your locals.

My advice keep DirectV and just pay 12.00 HBO in HD and channel 199 demo and pay per view. Watch all local channel free with your antenna. Beleive my you Wife will get use to the Sony menus very fast, mine loves the Sony menu over the RCA>

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 03-25-2001).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know this is an old thread but could someone tell me how to get only the HD HBO and channel 199 (now HDNet?) for $12/mo. ?

I am thinking of getting the Zenith DTV1080 but don't want or need a full subscription to DirecTV.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You're right, the choices on DirecTV can be overwhelming and most of us don't need them all. The HD100 allows you to customize the program guide to get rid of stuff you don't subscribe to or just don't want to see. It is very easy to do!

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Just ask for "HBO a-la-carte" and you get HDNet also; I have added the "Family Pack" also.

The HD-100 is very good at integrating the different sources; for example, I use all 3 inputs on mine for:

1) Analog cable

2) HDTV OTA (I use a Silver Sensor+VHF only combined on the SAME FEED)

3) Satellite (DTV)

I spend about $60/month (cable=$40, satellite=$20) for the combined services (and watch a lot of HD)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.