AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You don't see as many post anymore about the HD-100. Because they stopped shipping them? No new upset customers. However, here is where I am ending up. Since finding out what was causing the drop outs and watching how I surf between Directv and OTA Digital, I really have not had any problems. It looks like CBS can fix the audio/video delays and may get Sony off the hook. Directv should be able to down load a permanant fix on the drop out and Guide issues. Like some others have said, the HD-100 was/is just going through growing pains. Now, I am glad I didn't send the box back like some others did. All in all it is a great box with features the others just don't give you. Lastly, but the most important to me is the picture quality, it is excellent. Oh yeh, my fan is not loud. Don't know why. My wife who is very critical about unwanted sounds (she can hear me talking about her 1/4 mile away)says she does not notice the fan at all. However we are not in that room much when not watching a program.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think its because the problems are now well known so anyone doing a search on HD-100 will come across them. Also, some would only be obvious to someone who previously had another STB, first time owners wouldn't know any better. Still on my list, in no particular order are:

1. Flips between subchannels on multicasting stations

2. No PSIP station IDs, just says DIGT

3. Channel mapping changes on each scan, sometimes stations are on their mapped channels, sometimes on their physical channels

4. No guide data for local digital or analog stations. The Hughes and Panasonic boxes have this, downloaded from the satellite.

5. Media window/Guide only works on SD DirecTV channels

6. Half-hour dropout

7. Lip sync issues

8. Occasional firmware crashes requiring hard reset

9. Fan

I live with these because the picture quality is superior to my Hughes/Mitsubishi which has far fewer bugs and a much better GUI.

Tony

·
Registered
739 Posts
Nice concise list. I would like to add two more.

1. Flips between subchannels on multicasting stations

2. No PSIP station IDs, just says DIGT

3. Channel mapping changes on each scan, sometimes stations are on their mapped channels, sometimes on their physical channels

4. No guide data for local digital or analog stations. The Hughes and Panasonic boxes have this, downloaded from the satellite.

5. Media window/Guide only works on SD DirecTV channels

6. Half-hour dropout

7. Lip sync issues

8. Occasional firmware crashes requiring hard reset

9. Fan

10. Intermittent drop-out of one local that "signal" level is always above 80.

11. When auto programming Directv, some PPV channels are disabled if nothing on at the moment.

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GregQuinn:
Haven't had the 30 minute dropouts since I was shown the light in this forum and now do a quick flip between 509/511 before viewing/recording.
Agreed, but I still consider that a work-around for a bug, not a bug fix.

Tony

·
Registered
100 Posts
As long as we're making a list, don't forget this one:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013428.html

The digital hits that are almost every few seconds sometimes on the music choice channels. It's like listening to a CD that's a few bits short of a byte.

Dave

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can anybody confirm if the reason Sony has stopped shipping the HD100 is because they are taking some action to fix the bugs?

Anxiously awaiting some fixes!

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does this happen to anyone?

When viewing the Guide and advancing about 1.5 to 2 hours, the Guide needs to "connect to satellite" and the delay ranges from 3-5 seconds. I find this very annoying and don't recall non-HD100 models having this issue. I have the "total hbo" package - you would think the player's memory should accomodate up to 3-4 hours worth of programming on the guide.

Thanks,

Philip

·
Registered
739 Posts
Philip,

I notice it also. When that point is reached, my "menu" goes blank an I am left with only the "background" boxes of the menu. Eventually they fill up again. I notice however that if you "wait" a few seconds for each scan before doing another, the boxes don't "empty".

I also notice that when you are in variable mode watching a 1080i channel (say 509) and then activate the guide, the picture is not shown in the top left corner and only 480i channels will appear. However, if you select to view in mode 1080i, the guide works fine and the picture in the top left corner will change as you move amongst other channels. I think SONY has some issues with the variable mode switching functions that need to be addressed as well.

But on the other hand, I believe I am asking the HD-100 to really do some things it may not be capable of, ever. As you may see when you switch from a 480i to a 1080i channel in variable mode, the HD-100 switches the entire screen from one to the other. I would imagine it would be difficult (probably impossible) to switch the upper left picture to one mode or the other without doing the entire screen. (what did he say? :)).

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand and agree with your analysis Bill. That idea had been floating around in the working side of my brain as well. I have notice a number of quirks with the 480 vs 1080 box functions. I have got to call Sony again today. I haven't check with them in a couple of weeks. Maybe they will tell me they are shipping a new box to me with all of the problems fixed, and to ship the old box back to them. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, I'm with you on the 48'. Ole Howdy and Captain Video. Thing is, I don't remember the picture or audio dropping. You either had a show or you didn't.

Jim

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well Jimmy, how does it feel to be a "beta tester"? :) I have had three "talks" with SONY since I got the HD-100 and basically sense they do something sooner or later. I have said before that there is not that much "content" anyway. I am feeling like I did when I got my first TV experience in '48 with an RCA 10" round CRT and in '60 with a 21" RCA color "table model" (yeah right!). Sooner or Later!

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jimmy,

Of course, what else? I remember watching a Louis-Conn fight for the first time. 50 miles up the Hudson from NYC and watching "Lucky Pup". "Forgotten memories remembered!"

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
130 Posts
as far as the HD-100 goes, I just got a new one, and have to say either you guys can hear the grass grow or they have fixed the fans.

My HD-100 is almost silent. Though I do have one question, at what times are the other HD stations in NYC broadcasting? I can only get CBS from 8pm on, I never find any other channels at night.

Though I must say, the picture quality from cbs is flipping incredible.

Ben

·
Registered
28 Posts
holysin,

Can you tell us whats the mfg date on the bottom of your

hd-100 because unless your hd-100 is in a show room floor theres is no way the fan wont be heard. and if you have a date of march and earlier theres a good chance that you have a newer rev box and in that case i can take mine back.

for that very thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, mine is March and the fan is NOISY. I was in Tweeter yesterday and they just got in a shipment and had them in the box as well as on display, so much for Sony not shipping any more. I think we are not hearing as much due to the fact most of the bugs are known and Sony is working and tells us there will be a fix. The question is, how long will we wait. What it does, it does well, in my opinion, after they get some of the bugs fixed, it should be a good box, so I have decided to live with it for a while.

Warren

·
Registered
739 Posts
The Magnolia HiFi store in Bellevue,WA has back orders for 60 HD-100 with no committed delivery until 12/01. (Of course they just say that!) I just now checked the Crutchfield site and they don't have stock???

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey there, just flipped over the box (damn these things run hot even if they are turned *OFF*) the build date is March '01 so it looks like I might have a new version?

·
Registered
961 Posts
The last I checked, Good Guys said they had several hundred in their California warehouse. Art

Quote:
Originally posted by Babula:
The Magnolia HiFi store in Bellevue,WA has back orders for 60 HD-100 with no committed delivery until 12/01. (Of course they just say that!) I just now checked the Crutchfield site and they don't have stock???

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Mine is March also (I've had it about a month), and the fan is plenty noisy. I'm seriously considering removing it (see related thread from spliffstar). Until there's a "permanent" Sony fix, I've seen improvements in the dropouts (jump fix) and lip-sync problems (encoder settings). All that would leave is the fan (unless it wasn't there, of course)!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.