AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the Sony HD100 to replace my Mits HD400 which was way too dark on my Panasonic Tau. It's like stepping back to the Stone age as far as the guide is concerned compared to the Mits/Hughes guide but thats not my real problem.

1. I can't get KCET (PBS) reliably. They are multicasting, and selecting any of the subchannels causes it to keep switching randomly between the subchannels with green blotch breakups. Strength is a solid 95, and was fine with the Mits, and DTC-100.

2. PSIP is unreliable. On each scan, some stations are on their actual channels, and some on their mapped channels. Each scan gets a different combination.

3. None of the digital stations have Station IDs, they all say DIGT. The manual says they should be set automatically and can't be set manually like the cable stations.

4. No guide info for any of the local channels. The Mits/Hughes had station IDs and guide info for all my local Digital, OTA and Cable analog channels. That plus the fact that the preview window only shows Sat channels, for locals you are both blind and clueless. Biggest beef: not being able to look ahead in the guide while still switched to current channel.

The PQ and variable mode are great, but items 1 & 2 are going to make it real hard to keep the Sony. I'm a big PBS watcher!.

Tony

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Tony, I have had my HD100 for a couple of weeks now and had the same problem with KCET when I first set it up. This is what I did, try this... type in 59.1 and then go to the menu, non-sat, and then add channels. The Sony should then do another search and should then pick it up back on 59. You are most likely getting what your talking about on the 28 BW right? This worked for me give it a shot. The menu takes some getting used to. I am over all pretty happy with the Sony, but I keep getting quite a bit of video dropouts. The place I bought it from is exchanging it for me so hopefully this will fix that problem. I also have a loud fan like many others. Good luck with you HD100 and I hope my idea restores KCET (PBS) for you....

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Hey guys this shows you how incredibly quirky a local affiliates signal may be and how it affects each STB differently. Here in N.Y. I did have a Mits STB along with a Sony STB, an RCA DTC100 and my built-in Zenith tuner. For a few days one of our HD cable stations was testing its multicasting. Their normal HD channel was broken up into 4 or 5 subchannels. The Mits was unable to properly display any of these, nor was my RCA DTC 100, but the Sony and Zenith tuner had no trouble at all.

Go figure, HD is very strange.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Tony (or anyone else with a HD100 in LA),

Have you seen any lip syncing issues? I was watching the USC game yesterday and literally the ball would go through the hoop and a second or so later you would hear the swoosh.

--Rick

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've called Sony and got it kicked up to a second level tech. I'll call back later to talk to him as there's a 47 minute wait on hold right now. I'll post the results later. The 3 issues I've logged are:

1. Jumping between subchannels

2. Channel mapping different on each scan

3. No Station IDs

I'll make him aware that there are others with the exact same problem, so it clearly isn't a problem with this particular unit.

Frankly, the more I play around with this thing the more it seems obvious it had minimal field & useability testing for OTA digital & local cable. It seems to have been designed on the assumption that it would be used primarily for Satellite viewing and everything else is an afterthought. The Mits did a much better job of integrating all this stuff.

Tony

·
Registered
761 Posts
When I first configured my DST3000 a month ago, PBS was shown on 28-1, -2, -3. Now all I only get PBS DT on 59-1, but I have not seen any HD on PBS for almost a month. Are they going through some transition phase perhaps?

Terry

[This message has been edited by turbobuick86 (edited 03-24-2001).]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Tony, it didn't work huh? That blows, when I first did my set up I was getting it also on 28. When I did add channel it went on 59. Maybe I got lucky? You say you are getting some video drops also? Are you still not getting KCET on 59? I wonder my mine all of a sudden locked on? This is strange...?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, can't get KCET on 59.x no matter how many scans I do, or try to manually enter it. On the last scan, I got KTTV back onto 11.1 from 65.1, but now KTLA went from 5.1 to 36.2 sheesh!, and the subchannels are reversed on 22, not that I watch it. KNBC, KCBS and KABC are all in the right place and don't keep moving around. I'll bet this thing is expecting PSIP to conform to an particular interpretation of the spec. and some stations aren't quite following it.

A search of the forum shows similar things happening in New York, Dallas and Atlanta, so I don't know where they beta tested this thing. I still haven't got through to the tech, apparently they are swamped with calls on this unit. I'll try again tomorrow.

Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I have nothing to compare it with, I like the HD100. OTA sensitivity is amazing. Receiving low power channels from 120 miles away in the Bay area (KQED)with rooftop yagi/CM amp/rotor. Guide says only "digt" for networks. HBOH(509 Directv) has info listed. Has anyone figured out how to subtract a sub channel from the menu?

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Chick:
2. PSIP is unreliable. On each scan, some stations are on their actual channels, and some on their mapped channels. Each scan gets a different combination.

3. None of the digital stations have Station IDs, they all say DIGT.
Both of these problems happen on the Sony with the New York City stations also. We have not experienced the subchannel problem because nobody is broadcasting subchannels in NYC yet.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boom Boom, I tried manually entering 59.1, 59.2 etc. but it just tells me "channel unavailable", I also tried 80.1. It seems to only find KCET on 28.2,3 & 4. I think I'll need to call Sony on this one. Do you see any of the station IDs in the guide, or do yours say DIGT also?. I'm getting video dropouts on KNBC, but I think I was getting those on the Mits also.

Tony

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Tony, I have the lip sinc problems with mine. Man it's really bad. I'm 8 miles from the towers!!!! I had the DST 3000 and I got all the local stations perfectly 100% on the strength. With the Sony, I have to move the antenna around and all kinds of crap just to get a coupe at around 80-87%? Think mine is just bad or something?

Randy

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in L.A. and I'm having the exact same problem with PBS as you have described. It locks on for a a few seconds then unlocks, then locks on, then mixes the signal from the other sub channels together. I don't know what happens to these sub-channels when PBS is actually broadcasting an HDTV signal, has anybody seens how this works out? Here is a copy of the email I sent to KCET:

I'm trying to pickup your digital signal. I see your 3 sub-channels, but when I tune to any one of them I'm only able to receive it intermittently. My theory is that you've taken the one signal (larger bandwidth for HDTV) and split it into 3, thus creating 3 weaker signal that are harder to pickup on my Sony SAT HD-100 set-top-box. I theorize that when you broadcast a true HDTV signal (1080i) (bringing the 3 back together again) it will come in stronger & I'll be able to receive it. I haven't been able to test this theory yet because you haven't broadcasted an HDTV signal since I got my new decoder. I thought I was going to get my chance tonight with "Rainier: The Mountain" but I see you are not broadcasting it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I just got off the phone with the 2nd level tech. The conversation didn't start out very well, I explained that I had problems specifically with the over-the-air digital channels. He muttered for a while about it being very strange, and asked if I'd already been in contact with DirecTV about it. I said, no, the satellite is fine, it's the OTA channels, so he asked who my provider was for those. I explained the concept of transmission directly from the stations transmitter to my antenna. He again muttered about it being very strange and asked what model TV I have, and could it be a problem with that. He then put me on hold to go talk to someone else.

The upshot is that Sony knows about the problem, its a software issue with PSIP, but they don't have any resolution for it. They'll be contacting me when they do. It doesn't sound like it's due any time soon.

In the meantime, I suspect I'll be taking the Sony back and reverting to the Mits since I can't watch KCET-DT at all right now. I may try it again at a future date when I see reports here that they have these problems solved. So now, its back to Mits tech support to continue trying to resolve the dark picture issues.

Its really frustrating!. If I, as a technically savvy person, have gone through all this grief with 3 different STBs each of which is not quite ready for primetime, what chance does Joe 6P have?. I really feel like we are paying hundreds of dollars each to be beta testers.

Tony

·
Registered
Sony A90J | ATV 4th Gen | Sonos Arc, One SL, Sub | Oppo UDP203
173 Posts
After trying a variety of combinations to try to bring in 59.1, I was finally successful. There doesn't seem to be any specific routine to make the tuner recognize the channel. I just tried several times to "add/skip stations" and eventually 59.1 showed up.

You should know that I've tried this off and on since yesterday when I first read this thread. So stay with it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This problem is silly,

I have tried the rca, mits, panny and now the sony. At this point I think they all of their quirks and I didn't really want a unified program guide I'd go back to the RCA. At this point, I think the best APG box is the Panny, and I may go back to that.

Not being able to tune in PBS, that kinda sucks but I can live without it. (There is always channel 80 on DirecTV). What really bugs me are the lip sync issues, no program data on digital channels, and the lack of 4:3 format options. No grey bars. It really stinks that it automatically assumes that you have a 16:9 set when you use 1080i component.

To me, this means that I cannot calibrate my set the AVIA using the 1080i signal unless I move cables around and use 1080i VGA.

Tony, I am feeling for Joe 6P. This is a major pain in the ass.

--Rick

·
Registered
31 Posts
NONE of the LA DTV transmitting stations are sending "ANY" program guide or station ID information, Trust me!! I work for two of them !!!!!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ruben,

You are correct about the schedule info, althought KTLA experiments with it every now and again, but they are all sending Station IDs. I got those on the old DTC-100 with off-air guides enabled and the Hughes/Mits HD5. The only one that can't get them is the Sony.

The Hughes based boxes will also get local guide info from the satellite. You tell it your zip code, and cable company name and you get full program guides for all locals, digital and analog including the more obscure UHF channels. I find this incredibly useful, and really missed it with the Sony.

Tony

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.