AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What good is the integrated guide for cable and OTA channels (as well as DirecTV) on the HD100 if it never shows any information? Am I the only one who this happens to? It is useful for DirecTV but I thought the integrated guide feature would be useful for the other inputs as well.

Is there some way to get GuidePlus+ info, etc. so that it will show what is on? If not, I can't believe they didn't include this feature. Thanks.

Will

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
On the Mits, I tell it my zip code and cable company name and I get full guide info for all local channels, OTA and cable. Cable only channels do not get guide info.
Tony, can you expand on this? I can't get my cable info to work right on my HD5, but don't know if it's a setup error or bad data in the DirecTV database or bug in the HD5. 30 minutes on the phone with DTV yesterday was useless, of couse.

By way of example, my local NBC station is broadcast channel 4, but redirected to channel 24 on my local cable system. My HD5 (even after selecting my local cable company and letting the guide download) just shows 'regular schedule' for 24 but shows cable channel 4 (and also OTA 4) as WRC (the station) and has schedule data. I've been thinking the problem is related to having the HD5 sort out my local analogs OTA (which I don't use but it finds on scan), my local digitals OTA, the locals over cable, and the locals over DTV (which I also don't use but sometime show up in the guide as DC4, etc.)

Have you got all these sources connected and correctly listed in the APG?

Thanks.

------------------

R. Aster, scanning the forums

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure if it will work with cable... but on the Sony HD 100, you can punch in, for example, 4.0 (four point zero) and yer taken to the OTA channel 4 if you have an antenna.

I never found this in the manual...

Dave

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
This is a good example of how hard it is to create a (high-tech) product that pleases everyone. I have no trouble with the cable picture in either "lo-def" or high-def coming out of my HD-100; I don't mind so much about the guide info (I don't surf much anyway). I actually tried out a Mits and returned it thouroughly unimpressed--go figure. While I've not yet hooked up the OTA DTV antenna, my understanding is (after monitoring the many posts on the subject) that the the broadcasters are violating certain aspects of the standard, and the newer boxes (like the Sony) aren't as "forgiving" as the old ones (like the RCA). My only complaint (so far) with the Sony is the fan--but it's better than having the chip burn up! I guess I'll know more this weekend when I try (another) antenna.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I think about it, I tried out the RCA DTC100 and I think I remember that it showed program information in the guide for the OTA digital channels. I wonder why the HD100 doesn't have this feature. Or maybe it does have it and it isn't working correctly. I thought the manual said that program listings would show up for all channels.

Will

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Aster:
Tony, can you expand on this? I can't get my cable info to work right on my HD5, but don't know if it's a setup error or bad data in the DirecTV database or bug in the HD5. 30 minutes on the phone with DTV yesterday was useless, of couse.

By way of example, my local NBC station is broadcast channel 4, but redirected to channel 24 on my local cable system. My HD5 (even after selecting my local cable company and letting the guide download) just shows 'regular schedule' for 24 but shows cable channel 4 (and also OTA 4) as WRC (the station) and has schedule data. I've been thinking the problem is related to having the HD5 sort out my local analogs OTA (which I don't use but it finds on scan), my local digitals OTA, the locals over cable, and the locals over DTV (which I also don't use but sometime show up in the guide as DC4, etc.)

Have you got all these sources connected and correctly listed in the APG?

Thanks.

In LA, the Mits redirects some of the cable channels itself, essentially undoing the cable companies remap. My local PBS channel is 28, carried by Adelphia cable on channel 8. On the Mits, the cable channel appears as 28, not 8.

I get guide info for the local cable and OTA digital stations, but not all the OTA analog stations. So, for my local NBC affiliate, it shows guide info for Digital 4.1, Cable 4 and Sat local LA4, but not 4 analog.

For the folks seeing bad cable quality thru the Sony, are you upconverting to 1080i or using variable mode to pass through as 480i?. In variable mode, my cable looked about the same as direct to the TV, but looked bad in 1080i, as it does on the other boxes that upconvert as well including my Mits.

Tony

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tony:

I am using Variable Mode to pass ALL signals from the HD-100 to the XBR. Picture quality of analog cable is seriously degraded. I thought the purpose of the Variable Mode was to sense the difference between a 480i and 1080i signal and make the switch automatically, which it does in a great fashion for DTV programming. But cable signals, in this mode, still look really bad.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Will,

The DTC does NOT give any info at all regarding local OTA digital channels. I actually had the Mits and could never get it to give any local channel info either. I punched in zip code, cable provider etc, nada. Like Stanton, I wasn't impressed. I think one feature of the Sony that needs to be incorporated in to ALL STBs is the rescan feature. This enables the box to scan ONLY for new OTA digital channels as opposed to redoing everything. I haven't seen that in any other box. I've been particularly frustrated lately with the DTC in my other setup. I have both OTA and cable HD input into the DTC and can never get 2 scans to come up with the same results. There always seems to be one channel or the other not scanned properly.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:

I actually had the Mits and could never get it to give any local channel info either. I punched in zip code, cable provider etc, nada
Ken,

That is wierd. I guess it must be very specific to which cable company you use. My guide is pretty complete. I could experiment and select a different cable company and see if that makes a difference here. You would have thought that the major New York companies would be included though.

Tony

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is one of several reasons I took the HD100 back and am sticking to my Mits HD5 until these things get sorted out on the Sony. I found the lack of Station IDs or Schedule Info, combined with the fact that the audio for the current program gets muted and the Media window is black except for Sat channels made it useless for local and cable. Support for non-Satellite channels really seemed tacked on as an afterthought, and is limited solely to tuning them in.

On the Mits, I tell it my zip code and cable company name and I get full guide info for all local channels, OTA and cable. Cable only channels do not get guide info.

I'm incredibly disappointed with the Sony product. In addition to the lack of guide and station IDs, it also can't lock onto stations multicasting on multiple subchannels, sometimes sees the mapped channel numbers, sometimes not and has video and audio dropout problems. I'm in L.A., a number 1 market city and these bugs show up here and in several other major cities. Either they field tested it and shipped it knowing about these bugs, or they didn't field test it at all. Neither of those scenarios is good.

Tony

·
Registered
425 Posts
I too am somewhat disappointed in the HD-100's handling of analog cable channels. But my beef is not related to a lack of program info but instead to the degraded picture quality I am experiencing when viewing cable channels as opposed to DTV channels through the HD-100. I don't know if this is a compatibility issue (my cable provider is ATT and I don't use a converter box)or a hook-up issue (feeding analog cable signals via the HD-100 through component inputs on the monitor). In any event, I am forced to switch video inputs on the monitor and rely on a direct cable connection to the monitor to get an acceptable picture. Is anyone else experiencing this problem???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.