AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to come up with a list of the remaining problems the HD100 has. Has anyone not experienced a fix for the timed drops or the lip-sync problems?

Here's what I have so far.

Fan Noise - Bothers some, doesn't others. Obviously not a downloadable fix. Also, probably something Sony won't fix on anything other that a per-case basis.

Channel Information (PSIP?) - Displays DIGT instead of station name. (like NBC4 or WJLA)

Mapping of subchannels (PSIP?) - Any thing above an x.2 (x.3,x.4) didn't seem to map correctly. I don't have this in my area, so I don't know if it's fixed or not.

APG - Doesn't seem to have any program information for OTA HD channels. Some claim this info comes from DTV on other STB's.

If anyone has more, please add them to the list.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

[This message has been edited by dmbatch (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dave B

I think your list is complete from my perspective. I have had no dropouts or OTA lip sync problems since the patches and stations added B frames here. While the fan is annoying (not enough air flow where mine is located to take out fan), I would like the PSIP fixed ASAP.

I would add that I would like to see Sony also change a few things via an download upgrade if possible.

1. Add aspect ratio control from remote (Letbox or Pan/Scan)

2. Integrate the guides better - all the OTA is before the Directv info and I think they should integrate these so I can see 8 on DTV, 8 on OTA NTSC, and 8.1 on ATSC OTA all together - like the Mits/Toshiba/Hughes guide. The info is in the guide, they should be able to place in another order.

3. Show the preview window on the OTA and HD channels while in the guide (without using index and surf). I think this would be nice.

I do not think the Sony supports the Directv APG like the Mits/Hughes/Toshiba - it would be nice if they add that as an user selectable option instead of using PSIP.

Warren

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Dave,

I really haven't had any bothersom problems since the supposedly patches.

- I never considered the Fan to be a problem. Note

though that I have a Reef tank in the same room

with a certain amount of water movement noise.

- I would very much like to have the PSIP info. I watch

programs on the digital channels now more than any

thing and I would like to see what is on.

- No lip sync problems at all anymore since WUSA got

straightend out.

- I do have intermittent problems with the telephones in

my house. Sometimes the line that the box is hooked to

goes dead. If I unhook the phone line from the Sony and

plug it back in again, the dial tone comes back. Anybody

else had this happen?

Thats it Dave.

- Not so much Sony but I am very disappointed in the

amount of HD content from Directv and the fact that

I have to access another satellite just to get one HD

Movie (HBO). Not worth it. I'll stick to DVD.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the Toshiba DST3000 and get no info at all including station call letters for all my OTA DTV stations (which consist of CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, and a few others here in LA) I don't know anyone who has a box that gives you program info or station call letters...just 2-1, 4-1, etc

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dave B.

I live in the Dayton, Ohio area and receive OTA stations from Cincinnati with a signal strength of +90 and all three stations I receive are out of sync on the audio / video! Sony blames the broadcast stations but the bottom line is their unit cannot sync these signals. I've read where most people do not have this problem after the application of the three Sony patches, which I have on my unit but has not solved my problem. All three stations (Fox, CBS and NBC) exhibit this problem. Each station will continue to get farther out of sync until the picture blanks out and re-syncs. Anyways that's my two cents. I'm calling Sony agin this Friday and demanding a fix or my money back as I purchased this unit because of it's OTA capabilities which I cannot use. Does anyone in this market have these same issues?

John

·
Registered
100 Posts
In addition to the problems mentioned in the first post, I still have:

•Occasional to regular 2 second video-only dropouts on HBO HD. This seems to be a ME ONLY issue.

•"Skipping" on the music channels... always sounds like beats from the songs are missing. This has been confirmed with someone else on the forum.

I don't really have what I consider a loud fan, and I have no regular lip-sync issues.

Dave (too many Dave's on this forum with an HD-100).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Since buying my HD-100 in march, I have never received HD OTA on Houston CBS even one time despite many calls to the local CBS affiliate and Sony. Never been called back either! No explanation.

The local NBC station has continuous lip-sync problems still.

Hd-100 = krapolaa! Sony = customer nightmare! Zenith?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davebach:
In addition to the problems mentioned in the first post, I still have:

•Occasional to regular 2 second video-only dropouts on HBO HD. This seems to be a ME ONLY issue.
Not just you. I have seen, rarely, 2 second video dropouts on HBO. Art

·
Registered
690 Posts
Got my SONY STB in March and had the A/V sync problem until mid April here in LA. SONY said it was the broadcasters. CBS was screwed up for about two weeks and all came back fine. Seems like it cleared up about 2 months ago and no problems since. Would have to agree it is the broadcasters.

You can check on the patches by doing this on the remote:

Hit "Exit" twice. Then type "7" four times, then "3". Hit Exit once and you should get the patch screen. The remote signals do not always "go" so try this a couple times if it doesn't work the first time. Supposedly there is a fourth patch, I only have three....

·
Registered
731 Posts
===========================================================

•"Skipping" on the music channels... always sounds like beats from the songs are missing. This has been confirmed with someone else on the forum.

===========================================================

The fan and the above quoted problem are the two remaining issues for me.

I see the drop-outs on HBO from time to time also, but I've seen others on this forum with other brands of boxes report the same thing.

Oh, and when I do get local stations, I'd like to see the PSIP info (later this month where I live).

Roger

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just saw a post concerning the VGA output of the HD100. It seems to shift the picture to the right. Doesn't happen on the component outs. I'll add this to the list.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still having all remaining problems with the Sony STB (drop-outs have cleared up).

Here in Philly, in particular, still experience lip sync problems with CBS and occasionally Fox.

I have three patches on the STB.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't know if this is a new bug or an old one, but I just lost FOX in NY because I did an ADD/SKIP STATIONS on my HD 100. There has always been that 5.1 <--> 44.1 issue here in NY. Usually, I'll just lock into the channel that seems to be working, but for the first time ADD/SKIP STATIONS deleted 5.1 on me. I'm not getting anything on 44.1 and I can't add 5.1.

I think I'm going to start referring to my HD100 as the HD100 beta until these Sony idiots get it right.

Dave

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Dave, it's funny you mention the issue with Fox. I found what seems to be a fix in my case. I do a total rescan (as opposed to the "add/skip" option. When I do the TOTAL rescan, it seems to put Fox back in the 5.1 position, but when I do an add/skip it throws it into it's "real" 44.1 channel without remapping it. I guess this is another Sony "exclusive". Fortunately the Sony seems to very quick when doing these rescans.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I am the one who posted the issue of the VGA shifting to the right. I just got off the phone with Sony and they confirmed that it is a known bug, with no fix nor estimate of when it will be addressed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.