AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say that I like the Sony but may end up returning for some of the reasons in Gary Merson's article. I have a Runco DLP and want to use the VGA passthrough and 480i material looks better using component at 480i...it's inconvenient to switch back and forth, particularly, since I have my DVD connected to the projector's processor via the component. This may also be because the Runco does a nice job of upconverting 480i source to 720P when not using the passthrough.

I find it recieves signals with much better reliability than the RCA (I'm on the Peninsula in the Bay Area). The odd thing is that for ABC (24.x here) the signal strength meter shows 82 but it is constantly searching for a signal. I can pull in other stations that are in the 60's and 70's for signal strength. Ideas?

------------------

dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the response. I am about 25 miles south of Mt. Sutro in SF, where I believe most, if not all of the network HDTV signals originate. All the network signals show up in the 80-85 range for signal strength, including the ABC/KGO signal. I am using a mid-sized Radio Shack antenna (I think it is the VU 160) in my attic, where I was hoping it would remain. Not sure what you are asking when you say frequencies....

Is there any relatively easy way to test your diagnosis? There is a KGO radio tower to my east. I would be surprised if they have HDTV signals coming from there but I suppose I could point my antenna in that direction to see what happens. Thanks again.

------------------

dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dave,

I think Engine-Ear is correct about multipath. You can check the direction to the stations by entering your address on www.antennaweb.org.

24 is on Sutro, so multipath is a likely culprit. I live in San Jose and I have an HD100 connected through a ChannelMaster distribution amplifier to a mid-sized RadioShack antenna mounted about 8ft above my roof. Signal strength on 24 (mapped to 7.1) is 97.

Prior to raising the antenna by 5ft I was experiencing dropouts in windy conditions on all channels and even now I get fluctuations on 57 (mapped to 4.1) from 86 to 100, although the other channels (19, 24, 29, 30, 52 & 56) are rock solid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.