AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony HD100 has the following problem with the WHYY 12.3 signal in Philadelphia. It seems to have trouble locking onto the signal.

The message comes up "Searching for signal" It then brings up the picture The picture then breaks up, pixelates and then "Searching for signal" starts all over again. It is a continuous cycle in about 10 second intervals

Another HD100 was tried, same thing. I moved the units to a different location and antenna 6 miles away, same thing. The RCA DTC100 works with no problem with the same antenna.

Sony says it is the stations broadcast signal. WHYY says it is the HD100. At this point I have a feeling that some thing is amiss with the WHYY 12.3 signal as 12.1 is OK and the other Philadelphia digital staions come in fine. A Sony upper tech person told me that Sony is aware that some broadcasters are deveating from the standard and is asking them to make corrections.

Is any one else having this experience?

------------------

Ginz

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Have you checked the meter to see what the signal strength is on that channel? That might give an indication of where the problem is.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Signal strength is around 89. At this point I think that some thing is amiss in the WHYY 12.3 data stream. All the other stations come in A-OK including WHYY 12.1. I think that the receiver has trouble with the information it sees.

------------------

Ginz

·
Registered
830 Posts
Did you have any problem with the WHYY signal a prior to their switch to the new digital broadcast center (about a week ago)? They used to pass the PBS HD feed untouched (including its channel 80 PSIP info). If you had the problem prior to the switch, I'd look at multipath. If the problem started after the switch, Sony's comment about a configuration problem with the HYY signal may be worth investigating.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have the Panasonic TU-HDS20 and I get 12.3 fine I think it is that Sony of yours. I am a Sony fan but they suck when it comes to HD anything, they don't believe in 720p or 6.1/7.1 ch surround. No wonder THX will not touch them. I suggest you get the Panasonic or wait for the new Zenith.

[This message has been edited by DarthJedi (edited 04-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DarthJedi (edited 04-19-2001).]

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is a known problem with the HD100 and multicasting. Where you have multiple subchannels that also use PSIP remapping, it has trouble locking on. It happened with our local PBS station in L.A. also when they were multicasting. Whichever subchannel you tuned to, it would break up after 5 seconds and say "Searching for Digital signal" then flip to the next one up, then 5 seconds later flip back down and repeat this continually. If you search the forum around the time the HD100 came out, you'll see lots of people reporting this problem from around the country.

I reported it to SONY who said (after I got far enough up the chain) they know about the problem and are working on a fix. I know SONY is saying it's the stations that need to change their use of PSIP , but none of the other STBs have a problem.

Tony

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Tony,

At Last! Some one who can give me an answer.

My local PBS station last week just switched over to multicasting. I am having exactly the problem you described on the subchannel 12.3 I was not sure if it was the station or the STB.

I have wasted a lot of time and effort adjusting my antenna, trying another HD-100 and calling Sony and the TV station for answers. I wish the guys at Sony would have told me the truth and said it is the stations fault.

The real question is when will a fix be available? I have an event number from Sony, Crutchfield has me on a replacement list. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Thank you for the information. I will now have time for other activities besides tracking down the source of the Sony HD-100 problem. Like watching TV.

Regards

Mark

------------------

Ginz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.