AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered an Airblown inflatable projector screen for use with an HD1000 projector. The projector has only a few hours on the lamp, so it seems that at the high light mode it would produce a pretty nice and large (i.e.

149" diagonal) picture after dark, no?

Does anyone remember what would be the throw distance for the 149-inch screen size? Thanks for checking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. Just found the Projector Central calculator that answered one of the questions (19'7" throw distance and an image brightness of 11-16 fL for a screen gain of 1.0-1.5). Will a movie be watchable assuming such a range(?) of the screen gain?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. I have been very busy. I could use others experience and knowledge rather than experimenting myself and sifting through hundreds of irrelevant internet retrievals.

I gave it some thought though. Please correct me if anything's wrong or could be done better, easier, etc.

Making a box for keeping bugs out of projector (yet allowing air flow) seems necessary to me, no?

For this a frame of plywood with bug net (window screen, mesh, or whatever they call it in stores) around, attached with the duct tape (or with staples), and a small plate of glass in the front for the projector light beam is planned. The top (or front) will be detachable for an easy access to the lens focusing things and placing/removing the projector. Two holes will be made in the back of the box plywood for power cord and HDMI cable (run from home where a DVD player and an A/V receiver are located). The excess clearance left in the holes after placing the cables will be "sealed" with cotton balls. The in-box-projector will be under a garden umbrella just in case of unexpected rain.

Probably a 50 ft run of HDMI cable for connecting projector with DVD player in the house should be OK (A/V receiver will be analog connected with DVD player, with speakers in the 2.1 configuration). Will appreciate suggestion where to buy HDMI cable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This thread has 142 views, so I think I'd better share what I learned so far (I'm an old chemist and multilingual so please let me know if something is not so clear in my writing about projectors).

1. A box would protect the external surface of lenses from bugs getting attached to it, although I have no idea how serious this problem can become in states of moderate climate; my guess is that in states like Florida cleaning of lenses from time to time will be necessary, no (please chime in)? On the other hand, the optical paths of projectors are either airtight (sealed off) or have a good filter in it, capable of catching even small particles.

2. An alternative solution to a bug preventing box would be projecting movies (TV broadcast, etc.) from the house to the back-yard screen through a window or sliding door with glass. I've tried yesterday throwing the projector picture through a double glass pane patio door (with an 1" gap between the panes) at different angles (projector height) with no visible optical degradation of picture whatsoever. I even didn't have time to clean the glass of the door on either side! This led me to belive that I should also keep the DVD player and A/V receiver in the house. Thus, I'll only run the front speaker and subwoofer wires to the yard and no longer need the 50 ft HDMI cable. All my electronic equipment will be protected from bugs and rain.

3. I'm still waiting for the inflatable screen. I've quickly made and used a screen of a drapery lining (blackout, a gray/white fabric with a polymer backing) for testing yesterday whether the projector could produce a sufficiently bright picture. The picture's quality was absolutely amazing (sharp, vivid colors, good contrast) at low light mode, and I'm quite certain that even much larger screen (than 149") could be satisfactorily used. Thanks for viewing.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've shown movies in our backyard with the Gemmy screen. I've never had any problems with bugs, in fact it hadn't dawned on me that that could be a problem until you brought it up. If you're looking for more info on backyard theaters, there's a forum on this site as well as a whole web site geared to backyard theaters:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...prune=30&f=159

http://backyardtheater.com/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. The bug issue has been on my mind somewhat intuitively. A workshop that I've got in the back of my house has a pair of 200 W floodlight bulbs. While the front surface of the bulbs had only a few smudges (a residue apparently left after bugs touched it that has not evaporated yet(?)), the side surface under the metallic cover of the lamp had a lot of bugs, like moths and mosquitoes, baked and attached to it (I live in central Ohio). I'm glad to find out that the bug issue it can be ignored for projectors.

By the way, what do you do, Folks, to protect yourselves from the mosquitoes? I spray a lemon juice on the lawn (which should protect for at least 2 hours after spraying) and light up several citronella candles placed around the area. The latter works really good on my backyard even without the lawn treatment (the bugs are nowhere to be seen when candles are lighted).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Before I moved from Texas... UFC and Boxing PPV and the occational big sports event were always outside... Ice chests full of ice cold beer and running grill hot, with pounds of meat... friends and family... the good ol days...

I never had a problem with bugs, with the projector... they loved the screen though... I considered making a little box too, I never did... but I was more concered with possible rain...

As for your idea of shooting it through the window... I'd go with that! I didnt have that option... I had street lamps too... and the lights mysteriously getting damaged around fight night got incresingly odd... anyhow what I was gonna do was go wireless...

I had a cheap old stereo for sound, that I could care less about... but wireless for the projector... was my real concern... you can even get wireless speakers too...

All the wires are like a magnet for drunks, kids, and stupid people... plus putting stuff away would be easier...

I'd go with the widow idea, even if you get the projector wireless... I know that you lose some of the clarity, but someone drop kicking the projector could get be even more ugly...

I even dug a pvc pipe with extention cord into the ground to minimize the cords too...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I think I'll use the pvc pipe idea for now, and then I'll consider going wireless. The current system will include the economical, yet powerful and sounding exceptionally good, Harman/Kardon AVR235. My yesterday testing indicates that an Onkyo's HITB soobwoofer will show its power (in reasonable range for the sake of neighbors) and a pair of Infinity Primus bookshelfs or Polk outdoor speakers should suffice at present. What minimum investment is necessary to go wirelless?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts