AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After just 1250 hrs my HD1000 is starting to make some terrible noise from the color wheel. I called Misubishi service and I have to send the projector in, no big deal under warranty, the tech on the phone told me that the colorwheels normally go out around 3000-3500hrs. I was wondering if any one else has had any problems, and after how many hrs., And how was Mitsubishi service? Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
3000 hours?!?! So they are saying that after 3000 hours, you have to replace the bulb and the color wheel? I hope that tech wasn't speaking based on experience.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not sure this helps, but my Infocus X1 colourwheel went at 2900 hours and it's replacement went at 3400 hours. Somehow, the 4000hr rated bulb outlasted both colour wheels!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had had an X1 also but its colorwheel didn't get to annoying until about 5000hrs. The mits color wheel is running at a nice 60 decibels at about 1 foot away. Waiting on the RMA from mits, hopefully get it soon. And yes the tech did tell me they go out at 3000-3500 hrs. good thing I bought the extended warranty for next time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had mine fixed at 890 hrs, 5 months. Now nearly 1 year, 2100 hrs total (7 months, 1200 hours on new wheel) , whine is back. I always wondered if the "quick rollout" of the HC1500 was due to this design flaw in the HD1000.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be a design flaw, maybe if the quick roll out of the 1500 was do to some of the problems with the 1000, hopefully they will address them in the repairs. I really do like the 1000 though (upgrade from an X1 with 6000hrs on it). Got the RMA today will be shipping it out tomorrow(or after the superbowl). Supposed to be a turnaround of 72hrs once they get it, we will see, hopefully get it back soon got to go back to a standby 27" tube for now (ugh) sure will miss the 97".

·
Registered
363 Posts
Color wheel is on backorder, I was told they would have some in the next couple of weeks, that was about a week ago. I wouldnt count too much on a quick turnaround for this warranty repair.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Great, i've had mine for 13 months and have 400 hours on it. From the time frame you guys have listed, I can just see mine going out right after my 2 year warranty has expired. Has anyone considered starting a poll to see how many people have been effected by this and at what point (number of hours) it happened?

·
Registered
363 Posts
It is a ONE year warranty, unless you bought some sort of add on.

From what I have read I believe the color wheel on any projector is simply a mechanical part that will wear out over time. In my personal opinion the HD1000U seem to get more complaints than most on this board, but there were also probably more of these sold than any others. I also think that the problem is more widespread than we know as a great percentage probably don't notice or don't care about the noise as the picture still looks fine....

I spoke, via email to the head of the warranty dept. who denies any "design flaw" with the HD1000U.

Mine is scheduled to arrive at repair facility on 2/1/2008, I will keep everyone updated, please everyone else do the same, lets track the turnaround time.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I too had the same color wheel problem after 1368 hours and 7.5 months after I bought it. I called Mits, was told color wheels were backordered until April, 2008. Not a satisfactory answer so I decided to call Projector People where I bought the unit (based on a suggestion from a post by "Loony" on this forum, thank you Loony.)

Spoke with Sharisse in returns dept. She emailed me a form to fill out and then ask me to ship the unit to PP in Tampa. She told me that she would get me a refurbished unit from Mits and would send the refurbished unit to me as soon as my defective unit arrived at PP and they could verify the bad color wheel (she went ahead and called Mits immediately to get the refurbished unit sent to PP so it would be there when mine arrived, how many companies would do this?).

Well I UPS'ed it to her last Tuesday, 1/22 and they received it Thursday, 2 days later, 1/24. She emailed me the day it came in, Thursday, 1/24 to tell me it was definitely a bad color wheel and that my refurbished unit would go out today, Thursday, 1/24 and I would receive it Monday, 1/28. Sure enough I received my refurbished unit on Monday, 1/28, just 6 days after I mailed mine to PP, can't beat that for service and turnaround time and Sharisse was an absolute pleasure to work with and kept me abreast of everything going on daily.

I strongly recommend Projector People for anyone who is looking to buy a projector. By the way my unit had 1368 hours on it when I sent it to PP, the refurbished unit that Sharisse sent me had 69 hours on it. Happy to report that my refurbished unit is quiet "as a mouse" to quote Sharisse.

For those of you with this widespread problem and who it bought it from PP I would definitely give Sharisse a call. I hope this helps some of you get your problem taking care of quickly.

Golffnutt

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceMan /forum/post/12965591

It is a ONE year warranty, unless you bought some sort of add on.

From what I have read I believe the color wheel on any projector is simply a mechanical part that will wear out over time. .

Well I put it on my Amex so it extends the warranty one more year so I'm covered for another 10 months. However, at the rate I'm going I don't think I'll get to barely 800 hours by the time my warranty is up, and it seems people are reporting this around ~1200 hours. I might just have to start watching this more

As to your comment that this is a mechanical part, you are correct, but I don't think your assumption is. I've had four dlp projectors before this one, and have used many at work, all with thousands of hours on them and no sign of failed bearings. I admit one work machine was barely noticeable at 8000hrs, but not to the extent we are talking about here. Besides the reports of the Infocus unit, I just haven't seen a lot of reports from users with failed color wheels.

I also haven't seen much chatter about failed color wheels on the big DLP RPTV's either. Those suckers are run for 8 or more hours per day and have upwards of 10,000 hours on them, but besides a few scattered reports of color wheel replacement, mostly all I hear from the owners are that they have replaced the bulbs a couple of times. It really seems like the Mits color wheel is not up to spec. Just the fact it is on backorder at the same time users are approaching the 1200 hour mark makes me question Mit's claim that there is nothing wrong with the design.

NickB

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Golfnutt,

Thanks for that incite. I did buy my from PP and I will be giving them a call today, hopefully I get the same great service you did.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wembley2000 /forum/post/12977421

Golfnutt,

Thanks for that incite. I did buy my from PP and I will be giving them a call today, hopefully I get the same great service you did.

Wembley2000, you are welcome, glad my post will help you and hopefully others out. I am sure PP will take care of you. Let us know how everything turns out. Have a great day.

Golffnutt

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Called PP tonight but it was to late, I must say they have a very friendly customer servise department. I was to late to get to talk with Sharisse , but i will be calling tomorrow. I am most impressed with the customer service so far(and I just talked to them over the phone).

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wembley2000 /forum/post/12982147

Called PP tonight but it was to late, I must say they have a very friendly customer servise department. I was to late to get to talk with Sharisse , but i will be calling tomorrow. I am most impressed with the customer service so far(and I just talked to them over the phone).

I think you will find them "TOPS" when it comes to customer service and based on how they handled my problem I am confident they will give you the same level of satisfaction. Good luck and keep us posted.

Golffnutt

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeap bought my hc1500 from PP and had a squecky color wheel, sent it back and had another new one in 3 days. They paid shipping. Great Cust Serv.!

This was on a new one.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts