AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a looked at a number of different movies on my HD1000 switching back and forth between Cinema and Video gamma.

I prefer Video gamma. It seems to give the picture a more 3D look because there is more contrast between the light and dark areas. I don't appear to be losing any shadow detail.

I am just curious as to what others prefer. Which one do ya'll like better and why?

·
Registered
287 Posts
well, a lot of it has to do with how you calibrate the rest of the settings. if you change the gamma, you should re-calibrate it. if you simply switch b/w video and cinema, and your settings are more video-gamma-friendly, then of course video gamma will look better.

i have an HD70 (very similar to your HD1000, made in the same manufacturing plants) and i like Video gamma more than cinema (or Film in my case), but to each his own. but i think the consensus is that video gamma is better.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really?? Sports gamma?

For me sports is WAY too bright. It crushes all the whites significantly. At least when watching DVD movies, which is all that I use my pj for currently.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
There is no standard for naming gamma curves - it is best not to assume the same name is the same curve across PJ. Gamma curves are about making tradeoffs between shadow and highlite details and midrange greys to suit your environment.

On Mitsu (at least HC3000 - I presume HD1000 same) Cinema is the reference 2.22 curve without any deviation. Video is a lighter gamma with the mid-grays boosted, and Sports is an even lighter gamma curve with the near blacks darkened. You could also say it crushes whites - as a lighter gamma means more shadow detail tradeoff for less highlite detail (by detail I mean what the measured brightness step between brightness levels is). If you don't like any of the presets it has a custom gamma editor.

On Optoma PC curve is the best at following a curve though a bit lighter at 2.08. Graphics is more like Sports on the Mitsu, Video is a lighter curve than on the Mitsu - but fits the curve better without deviation. Film is the closest to the 2.2 gamma- but is not flat preferring to pop the whites.

On Infocus you have CRT which tracks the darker gamma curve of a CRT, film which tracks the 2.22 mastering, Video being a lighter gamma with near blacks boosted, while PC is not at all a reference being a lighter gamma - with near whites boosted and near blacks darkened, and finally you have 'BrightRoom' which is just a lighter version of 'Video'

On Sanyo there is not even named curve choices - just a slider that chooses power curves from 1.8 to 2.5 - but this control interacts with the grayscale control.

The use of white peaking, brilliant color, dynamic iris and dynamic lamps will change the gamma curve.

The best gamma is one that follows a curve without deviation as well as has no grayscale impact, the best curve is one that fits your environment. Lighter gammas for lighter rooms, darker gammas for darker rooms. 2.22 is what it is mastered at - and the best way to get perfect digital data on your screen. Deviations from the curve are just as bad as Graphic EQs on audio - but if using one in the shape of a smiling face makes you happy

The best way to choose a gamma is to look at grayscale steps or ramps. For viewing materials look at dusk or dawn scenes - like the opening battle of Gladiator which is intercut with daylight flashbacks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me Video gamma doesn't look any brighter overall than Cinema on the HD1000. Video seems to make the lighter parts a bit lighter and the darker parts a bit darker. The Cinema setting seems flatter in comparison - if that makes any sense.

I assumed Cinema would be the reference (as krasmuzik confirmed) so I found it odd that video would look better.

I also have the Optoma H27. On the H27 each gamma setting seems to just make the image brighter overall. So I was even more confused by what I was seeing with the HD1000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.