AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally got my room competely set up and the projector mounted the screen made and now i'm divinng into the callibration but a few things that i think are related have come up...

Zoom 1 and zoom 2 do not appear in the aspect menu and are not accessible

The color and tint adjustments are also greyed out and not accessible

Using the avia disc and the contrast test pattern, the moving white lines were not visible at all no matter how low the contrast was set...

so....whadya think?

here's the only equipment i'm using

oppo 981 (running the original firmware, update didn't seem relevant to my problems)

25 ft blujeans hdmi cable

hd1000(low lamp, cinema, warm, aspect auto)

80 inch black out screen

thanks for any thoughts you may have

·
Registered
360 Posts
The zoom aspect rations are available on mine and I am feeding it 720p over HDMI. There must be some other setting that disables them when its on.

Also, the color will only be available when using HDMI if you set your player to use the YCbCr color space instead of RGB.

That's strange that you can't see the moving bars at all. Try setting brilliant color to 0 and see if that helps. I have BC set to 4 though and I can see the bars just fine.

Check your DVD player and make sure it isn't set to "Dynamic" or "Vivid" or something like that.

Have you tried the contrast test on the one of THX optomizer discs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments

I decided to update the oppo firmware, and just before doing that i realized the color adjustment was available all of a sudden... so i went ahead with the update and everything went fine.

I finished the calibration (i made virtually no adjustments literally +1 or -1 in each category) and went back to contrast and realized i could see the moving bars all of a sudden, and they aren't crushed til about 27 out of 30...

and bmaugans you were right i switched the output of the oppo to 480p and zoom was available, thanks for the help, i guess if want to watch older dvds i 'll have to change the oppo back to 480p so i can access zoom on the hd100, but I will very rarely have to do this so it doesn't really bother me, and thanks for clearing that up.

i'm not very sure about the contrast calibration i did.... as i'm not very good at figuring out what twice as white looks like on the avia disc.

Is it easier on the getgray disc or DVE?

what calibrations can i move on to from here?

thanks again for those helpeful responses

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about trying to set the contrast until you've got close to 100 hours or so on the unit. The white crush really tames itself at this point and whites are handled extremely well. Clouds that were once big white blobs when I first got the projector are now simply gorgeous, showing tons of detail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.