AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get rid of the letterboxes top and bottom while playing a dvd. Was looking for an anamorphic setting but I couldn't find it. I am sure it is a noob question but a question none the less.

BTW...I FREAKING LOVE my HD1000. Projectorpeople.com rule!

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindbartimaeus /forum/post/0

How do I get rid of the letterboxes top and bottom while playing a dvd. Was looking for an anamorphic setting but I couldn't find it. I am sure it is a noob question but a question none the less.

BTW...I FREAKING LOVE my HD1000. Projectorpeople.com rule!

If the DVD is wider than 16:9 you will have black bars at the top and bottom.

-Mike

·
Registered
449 Posts
It is also important to make sure the DVD player output is set correctly to a widescreen output. Like others have said, though, if the DVD movie is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio there's no escaping black bars on top and bottom, and even with 1.85:1 movies there will be a small sliver of of black remaining, unless overscan is set below 100%.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Go to the Signal menu and use the Vertical Position to move the picture up to the top of your screen. At least then you will only see the bottom black bar instead of the top and bottom. You can try using overscan to reduce that, but you lose some picture on the sides when you do that.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 /forum/post/0

Great, thanks Tim. It stinks, but it's not a deal breaker I guess.

You wouldn't really want to vertically stretch a 2.35:1 ratio movie to fit a 16:9 (1.78:1) ratio screen because then everything would be distorted. The people would all be tall and skinny. I suppose some short chubby actors (Danny Devito maybe) might prefer you see them like that though.

The powers that be that came up with the HDTV aspect ratio of 16:9/1.78:1 figured it was the best compromise given that normal TV was 4:3/1.33:1 and most movies were either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
You wouldn't really want to vertically stretch a 2.35:1 ratio movie to fit a 16:9 (1.78:1) ratio screen because then everything would be distorted.

actually I would.... then get an anamorphic lens

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.