AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Mitsu HD1000U. A couple of questions for current users:


1. I will have ~100" screen in a light controlled room. Will this image be too bright in low power mode?


2. I'm seeing the HD1000U discounted about $100 below HD70 prices on vendor websites. Since we can't post specific info about prices, if you think you got a particularly good deal would you mind sending me a PM on a price for which I can shoot?


If prices were equal, I probably would choose the HD70. But $100+ difference in this price category is not inconsequential. Just biding time until 1080P comes down to better price points...
 

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB, Panasonic DP-UB9000, Marantz 7706, Outlaw 7000X , Klipsch RP speakers
Joined
·
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp5 /forum/post/0


I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Mitsu HD1000U. A couple of questions for current users:


1. I will have ~100" screen in a light controlled room. Will this image be too bright in low power mode?


2. I'm seeing the HD1000U discounted about $100 below HD70 prices on vendor websites. Since we can't post specific info about prices, if you think you got a particularly good deal would you mind sending me a PM on a price for which I can shoot?


If prices were equal, I probably would choose the HD70. But $100+ difference in this price category is not inconsequential. Just biding time until 1080P comes down to better price points...

I ordered by HD1000 after much debate between HD70 and HD1000. The only reasons I went for HD1000U,


- Glass lense

- 10bit color processing

- Price (not very significant)


I juts hope the projector lives up to its claims. I currently own an H31. I got a 7 day 4 lamp Hrs return policy from projectorpeople.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
I find the HD1000U pretty darn bright in my room, and that's on a 106" 1.3 gain Screen Innovations 16:9 screen. It definately lights up the room. Too bright? Not sure about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
If you find the image is too bright (low lamp, cinema gamma), you can always ad a very inexpensive ND filter and that will solve your problem. You can also use a gray screen with a lower gain. It's always better to have too much light than not enough... only one is cheap and easy to deal with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
I'll second that.


Also remember that the bulb will dim over time so its better to start out brighter.


I am using a 89" diagonal screen 1.0 gain with my HD1000 and its not too bright at all for my taste. I am using low lamp mode because its quieter and gives longer lamp life. But if it weren't for these two things I would use normal lamp mode. I watched my first couple of movies in normal lamp and didn't find it too bright just more dazzling.


If you are the kind of person who prefers the lowest black levels possible (often at the expense of shadow detail) then you can always go the ND filter route as suggested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,412 Posts
They say that lamp brightness reduces by 50% in the first 100 hours, so stick with it for a while and you really want to start off bright. I have a silver/gray screen for my HD1000u (with 90% light control) - haven't got my hands on it yet but will do a big review... in the big owners thread in about 2-3 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/0


They say that lamp brightness reduces by 50% in the first 100 hours, ...

Nightfly.... I think that's after the RATED life (2000-3000 hrs) not the first 100 hours. Half the rated lumens after only 1/20th the life would not make sense would it? I think the bulbs do decay fast and then start to level off, but I don't think it's that dramatic... someone should find a study on this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,412 Posts
I can't say I've observed this myself (never had a 100 hour old and brand new model of the same unit side by side) but I'm quasi-quoting Guitarman, who's a pj professional. I don't think it continues to dip off that rapidly, but the 'break in' phase shows quite a dramatic drop in brightness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,789 Posts
I actually went the other way and did the optoma even though its ~100 more (and that 100 figure is accurate). I saw both at ces and was not impressed at all with the mits (im sure it was a configuration issue) but if they cant be bothered to properly setup their projector at ces I dont know if I want that company in my theater room. Optoma on the other hand did a much better presentation.


Pluses for the optoma (like the post above with positives for the mits)

slightly better blacks

extra year warranty (2 vs 1)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the pricing is interesting. I've received a number of PMs (thanks!) and the HD1000U comes in around $100 less than the HD70 at most retailers, even after the precipitous MSRP drop to $999 to match the HD70.


I wonder if wholesale pricing varies by $100 or if it is demand driven. I would guess gross margins are around 15%, given the relatively high online competition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/0


I can't say I've observed this myself (never had a 100 hour old and brand new model of the same unit side by side) but I'm quasi-quoting Guitarman, who's a pj professional. I don't think it continues to dip off that rapidly, but the 'break in' phase shows quite a dramatic drop in brightness.

I have just over 100 hours on my hd1000u. When the projector reached about 85 hours, there was a noticable reduction in brightness. This resulted in a significant improvement in black level. The picture is now much more impressive to me than it was out of the box. It is now rich and vibrant. I wish projectors could be reviewed after a break-in period of 100 hours or so. It would be interesting to see if review results would be different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp5 /forum/post/0


I think the pricing is interesting. I've received a number of PMs (thanks!) and the HD1000U comes in around $100 less than the HD70 at most retailers, even after the precipitous MSRP drop to $999 to match the HD70.


I wonder if wholesale pricing varies by $100 or if it is demand driven. I would guess gross margins are around 15%, given the relatively high online competition.

would you mind PM'ing me those store names? i'm in almost the same situation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 /forum/post/0


I have just over 100 hours on my hd1000u. When the projector reached about 85 hours, there was a noticable reduction in brightness. This resulted in a significant improvement in black level. The picture is now much more impressive to me than it was out of the box. It is now rich and vibrant. I wish projectors could be reviewed after a break-in period of 100 hours or so. It would be interesting to see if review results would be different.

I had the same experience. And I would also estimate the reduction in brightness to be fairly close to 50% - this is not as drastic as it sounds. A 50% dip in brightness will only be noticeable in a bright room where the PJ is competing with environmental light. In a light controlled room, the brightness reduction will simply make the contrast better.


I had my regular poker friends over to my house for our bi-monthly "session" recently. A couple of them had just spent pretty pennies on nice new plasma or LCD TVs. The look on their faces when I told them how much I had paid for my HD1000 was the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Projector People, an advertiser here at AVS sent me a nice quote on the Mits HD1000U.


Definitely $100 less than the Optoma and free shipping thrown in.


I'm pretty much tempted here people, the IRS says I'll be getting my refund within the next week. mmmmm... HD is coming my way...
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top