AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on a HD1000U, and just wanted to see how you guys thought it compared on black levels, contrast and such.

I will be viewing mostly HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and will be sitting between 1.5-2x the screen distance.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
No comparison really. The 4805 is a good projector, just not in the same league.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Well, the 4805 is easily in the same league in image quality (color, black level, etc...), but not in resolution. That said, I made the switch and am very happy with the 1000. Particularly with good HD material, the 1000 is a nice upgrade.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 /forum/post/0

Well, the 4805 is easily in the same league in image quality (color, black level, etc...), but not in resolution. That said, I made the switch and am very happy with the 1000. Particularly with good HD material, the 1000 is a nice upgrade.

I didn't think so. Not in terms of shadow detail, sharpness, and black level.

Just my opinion. I know there are a lot of people here who own the 4805, but the 1000 is better in more than just resolution.

IMHO

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose /forum/post/0

I didn't think so. Not in terms of shadow detail, sharpness, and black level.

Just my opinion. I know there are a lot of people here who own the 4805, but the 1000 is better in more than just resolution.

IMHO

That's good to know.

And, I should have clarified that I own the 4805 and want to upgrade to the Mits. I'm happy with the contrast and black levels on it, so that's great if the HD1000U is even better!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack /forum/post/0

That's good to know.

And, I should have clarified that I own the 4805 and want to upgrade to the Mits. I'm happy with the contrast and black levels on it, so that's great if the HD1000U is even better!

Don't get me wrong, the difference is marginal, but there is a difference. I was just pointing out that it is simply not JUST a resolution upgrade.

Kyser

·
Registered
71 Posts
I recently upgraded from the 4805 to the HD1000U with a short stopover in IN72'ville

You won't be disappointed.

I knew the Mits was a keeper when the ("could-really-care-less-about-this-stuff") girlfriend walked into the room - stopped dead - and went "Wow!!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFatCLT /forum/post/0

I recently upgraded from the 4805 to the HD1000U with a short stopover in IN72'ville

I knew the Mits was a keeper when the girlfriend walked into the room - stopped dead - and went "Wow!!

That makes me very happy because I just bought one about an hour ago
Should be here by Friday. Moving my setup out to my larger room and trying for about 106 inches or so. Had about a 70 inch setup on the 4805. I can't wait!

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:

That makes me very happy because I just bought one about an hour ago
Should be here by Friday. Moving my setup out to my larger room and trying for about 106 inches or so. Had about a 70 inch setup on the 4805. I can't wait!

You will love it.....

I have mine on a 133" diagonal (which I also used with the IN72, 4805, and VT-45).

·
Registered
785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFatCLT /forum/post/0

I knew the Mits was a keeper when the ("could-really-care-less-about-this-stuff") girlfriend walked into the room - stopped dead - and went "Wow!!

How did the IN72 compare with the HD1000? I've been thinking about the IN72 and going that route for the next year or so while waiting for an affordable

DLP with lens shift comes out. You can get it brand new with the rebate for around $460!! I mean, that's just unreal. So I was thinking of going the super cheap route, if the IN72 was even close to the Mits

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a HD1000U, and just wanted to see how you guys thought it compared on black levels, contrast and such.

I will be viewing mostly HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and will be sitting between 1.5-2x the screen distance.

I just recently upgraded my SP4805 to the HD1000u. Much of your results will depend on your screen and your room. My results are based off of a matte white screen with 1.0 gain and less than fully light controlled (90%-95%) room.

I spent my entire first day with the HD1000u comparing it to the SP4805 with the same material at the same time on the same screen.

SD DVD:

I use an HTPC running Theater Tek/FFDSHOW. This fed my SP4805 at [email protected] This allowed 1:1 pixel mapping and eliminated 3:2 pull down.

My results were very similar with both units. It's not that the HD1000u does a bad job with SD DVD, it's just that the SP4805 did a fantastic job in my setup. I would say that the HD1000u provides just a barely visible increase in shadow detail. Also, there is a touch more smoothness if you get closer than say 1.8x screen width.

Overall, the HD1000u is only slightly better than the SP4805. If you were just using a regular DVD player at 480i or 480p, the HD1000u might provide a bigger difference.

HDTV / HD DVD / Blu Ray:

This is where the HD1000u really starts to surpass the SP4805. The detail level is noticeably increased. The further back you sit, the less you notice. But, at 1.5x screen width, the difference is very apparent.

XBox 360 / PS3:

This was the biggest WOW factor for me. I always knew that the SP4805 just couldn't provide the sharpest image with all the available detail on video games. I knew there would be a nice change in the smooth look of the images. I was shocked at just how much more engaging the games became. Text now had smooth edges. The jagginess is gone. I'm left with a wonderfully smooth image.

Brightness:

This is the major difference between the two. My perceptions are a bit biased as my SP4805 had 1000+ hours on the bulb and my HD1000u was new. However, using eco mode on the 1000 provides a much brighter (and detailed) image than my 4805 did on high power.

Overall:

The HD1000u is noticeably better and more enjoyable on all sources except SD DVD. In that case, it's just slightly better.

Your results may differ. If your room is more light controlled, you may get better black level and contrast than I am. That may become a bigger gain than what I see.

YMMV

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooper /forum/post/0

How did the IN72 compare with the HD1000? I've been thinking about the IN72 and going that route for the next year or so while waiting for an affordable

DLP with lens shift comes out. You can get it brand new with the rebate for around $460!! I mean, that's just unreal. So I was thinking of going the super cheap route, if the IN72 was even close to the Mits

In my subjective opinion there is no contest. The IN72 doesn't come close to the HD1000u. If you get the chance to see both in action it will become very apparent.

The price of the IN72 is great right now and if you are primarily watching DVD's and not HD then I would recommend the IN72.

If you are thinking of HD content - then you will find the IN72 lacking (I would even venture to say that the 4805 handled HD content better than the IN72).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM /forum/post/0

Overall, the HD1000u is only slightly better than the SP4805. If you were just using a regular DVD player at 480i or 480p, the HD1000u might provide a bigger difference.

I was indeed just using a regular DVD player at 480i, so we shall see how much of a difference I see. Actually, I did try my player at 480P (as it is a progressive scan player) but I actually preferred the 4805 to do the deinterlacing.

·
Registered
785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S L O T H /forum/post/0

I'm thinking of going from a Sylvania 27 inch standard to a Mitsubishi hd1000u. Will I notice a huge difference?

Well duh! Of course there will be a huge difference. The Sylvania is a CRT so it has far superior black levels. The Mits will obviously be a step down.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by S L O T H /forum/post/0

I'm thinking of going from a Sylvania 27 inch standard to a Mitsubishi hd1000u. Will I notice a huge difference?

If you don't, your blind. That's like going from living in a decrepit, mice infested shack, to a Beverly Hills Mansion.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
i like what i've read about the HD1000U. few questions.

my throw is pretty long, about 14.5'. according to the calculator, i can just hit 100" diag screen, but it says it is intended for dark rooms with no ambient light. i own an in72 currently and have some ambient light, but i'm shooting onto a 92" screen. it's never been a problem really. i'm sure for some, it would be considered less than ideal, but i'm happy with it and nightime is always just all that more enjoyable. aren't the IN72 and the HD1000U about equal in lumens when the HD1000U is optimized for video?

how are whites? overblown at all?

how does the offset compare to the IN72? my screen is a bit high due to a fireplace and WAF. never been an issue for me with infoucs as i can just tilt the PJ slightly up without using any keystone and bury any geometric distortion with the black border. still possible with the mits or is the offset way more?

i have to say, i'm really surprised to hear so many 4805 and in72 owners say how much better this projector is. i may pick one up if i can find a sweet deal, otherwise, i'll just try and fight the bug. maybe just pick up a new screen so i can move my in76 upstairs and use it more. still very happy with my in72, but it would be nice to have a little better resolution upstairs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.