AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a HD2+ projector that has the 7-segment color wheel. The projector does not have to be available today. This projector will be used in a media room with some ambient light. It will have a bar and pool table that I want guests to be able to use while watching the projector. Therefore, I need a projector that is going to provide a "bright" image, like the image that my Samsung DLP puts out.

Does/will this exist? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank T. Lee

·
Registered
928 Posts
Definitely get a grey or silver screen this will help with blacks in a semi lit room. Other than that find the highest out put you can like the Infocus projectors or any with 1000+ lumen when calibrated. If your image is going to be some what washed out ALL of the time then why pay so much for great blacks and colors from a HD2+. You might look at the SP 5700 which is said to be very bright and to project fantastic images - some say very close to the SP7800, and it can be had for quite less. The only scenario in which I would buy and LCD is the one you stated above that there will be some ambient light. LCD's can be very bright, High resolution and cheap so you might look into that. If your wanting a videophile image when the guest aren't around then yea get the HD2+. For your scenario the screen is just as important. good luck david

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
If we assume you are using a 100" diag screen, and from your setting description, watching the pj while playing pool,you should look at a Sanyo PL70 LCD with a high gain screen like a da-lite high power!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
If you go DLP, it needs to be either Infocus or DWIN as these projectors are biased towards higher brightness. Otherwise, the PLV70 is a good choice as it is a serious light cannon.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I would have to 1/2 disagree with rrhomes---forget the grey screen, unless you're at least occasionally going to turn out all the lights. It really won't help you deal with the ambient light. Silver (specifically, the SilverStar) is an option because of the gain. Your goal needs to be to get a really bright image to punch through that ambient light. Ideally you want a setup that will have a "full brightness" mode when you're playing pool and a "lower brightness" mode when the lights are off.

·
Premium Member
25,539 Posts
"It really won't help you deal with the ambient light."

Way OT, but another advantage of RP over FP is that to first order, the on-screen CR ratio increases directly with the amount of light absorbed by tinting.

If the black level is determined by reflected ambient light, a tint that cuts transmission 50% halves the brightness, but quarters the black level because the reflected ambient light passes through the tinted screen twice.

(I was going to make the same statement about a gray front screen, but then realized it wasn't true).

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Yes, the ProjectionDesign is a great choice, but note that doesn't use the 7-segment colorwheel. But I don't think you should care, it still gets about the same contrast as many that do---and it's very bright to boot. It's also sold as the DigitalProjection iVision HD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.