AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post edited: You can get a 56" rptv for 3k 720p. Will this mean HD2 front projector prices will be dropping?

Please don't post dealer links (even for RPTV's)

I'll let the discussion continue since it is still asking about projectors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This seems to be insane to me. Why on Earth harder to manufacture and more costly to ship heavy RPTV units are cheaper than smaller projectors even based on the same core technology?

Why on Earth a big sheet of plastic or fabric called a projector screen has a price of a sophisticated plasma panel?

Is this just a world wide cartel plot of the video manufacturers against advanced videophiles?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:
Is this just a world wide cartel plot of the video manufacturers against advanced videophiles?
Yes.;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stain
This seems to be insane to me. Why on Earth harder to manufacture and more costly to ship heavy RPTV units are cheaper than smaller projectors even based on the same core technology?

Why on Earth a big sheet of plastic or fabric called a projector screen has a price of a sophisticated plasma panel?

Lamp life and cost might have something to do with it. This is the weak link. No one will buy a projector to watch TV unless they are rich and can afford to buy a new lamp every year. This is out of the question for the average person.

·
Registered
811 Posts
"Lamp life and cost might have something to do with it. This is the weak link. No one will buy a projector to watch TV unless they are rich and can afford to buy a new lamp every year. This is out of the question for the average person."

Couln't agree more.. while i love the size of of the pitcure i can get out of my AE 500, i still question my choice due to the lamp life.. when i had my RPTV i didn't care if it was on or off, but with this thing i actually feel remorse to have my GF watching fox, nbc, etc on it. cause i feel like i'm wasting it, i don't have a month with it (about 15-20 days) and i'm nearing the 100 hour mark..

i think it's safe to say a PJ is no real substitute to a TV unless you are indeed willing to spend lots of cash on it just to keep it working.., hell before my other RPTV i had a 27" sony direct view CRT, wich i tought was very expensive at 500 bucks (years ago), but hell, now i get to spend that cash evry what... 9 months or so..

so yeah, you defenetly either have to be rich, or don't budget for other hobbies to have a FP if you want to use it like a regular TV.

i think my next TV might be an RPTV again... those 1080p DLP's aren't comming to FP anytime soon (and if they do they'll be at around 10k, so no thanks!) so if they're cheap enough, i might get one of those. i love the size of the screen, it will be hard to go back to a smaller one, but economics gotta be taken into consideration, i guess i just have to see how my wallet feels after a year or two with my PJ =)

·
Registered
80 Posts
If someone is willing to spend between 2 and 5 thousand on a front projector then what is the big deal about spending a few hundred on a new bulb every year or two....for the money we spend on all of this stuff (cables,soundproofing,upgrades etc etc.) whats the big deal? Not to mention the fact that dlp rptv's need bulb replacement also.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Plus when you replace the bulb on a projector, it will have full brightness where plasmas continue to dim and you can't replace them. I guess the resale or tradein value on an old plasma won't be great (especially if they have any burn-in), but projectors should look as bright as new.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Um, I don't see how lamp issues are any different between DLP DPTV and RPTV. The only difference is that the RPTV bulbs last a bit longer, partly because they don't have to be as bright. Bulb costs really are not a big deal when you are talking about five thousand dollar TVs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For a 56" DLP this is a great price as just a year ago a 42' was over 4k. Since more HDTV's are being sold whether crt lcd dlp or rptv or fp prices will keep going down, especially since more manufacturers are producing more new models, and dealers like Gateway & Dell are getting involved, their lower prices will spur competitive price wars and even more sales. This is good news for all consumers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ditto jamesboggs2.

I was at BB the other day, checking out some TV options for my neighbor. A salesman was showing RPTVs to a couple. They were looking at the Sammy 50" DLP and a regular 60" HD RPTV, both about the same price. He was really pushing the DLP, which looked amazing BTW. When I walked around the rest of the TV department, nobody was seriously looking at any flat panel plasmas or LCDs.

It just made me think that perhaps this BB was putting more effort toward DLP RPTV. Combine that with the Gateway deal on the 56" RPTV, it really makes me think we could see some decent price drops in DLP RPTV by Q4 2004. Hopefully that will spill over into PJs.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
funny people think you are rich if you can fork out 300 bucks every 2 years. I guess they have a diff opinion of being rich than I do. Rich to me is Bill Gates....and I can tell you you don't have to be a billionaire to spend 300 bucks every two years on a bulb. I eman think about it for a second.

300 bucks for bulb

730 days in 2 years

.41 cents a day

Say you need to replace it after a year

300 bucks

365 days

82 cents a day

Are people telling me putting 41 or 82 cents a day towards a bulb qualifies a person as being rich? Puh-lease. 41 CENTS people. Turn off some frickin lights in your house/apt for a few hours each day and bam, you have your savings right there...or lower your thermostat by a degree during the winter or raise it a degree during the summer. Bam, savings right there.

My opinion is that if someone really has an issue with forking out 41 cents a day for a replacement bulb then they shouldn't have got into this hobby to begin with.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Plasma is not for me at any size. They are so prone to "burn in" it's not funny. I like light bouncing off mirrors myself. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
On the lamp issue with rear screen DLP's it seems everyone assumes 2-3K hrs life. Some are advertising 5-8K hrs which is a lot better. This may be due to much lower requirement from the lamp. I would not let that keep me from enjoying a new Samsung.

·
Premium Member
24,652 Posts
"Why on Earth a big sheet of plastic or fabric called a projector screen "

The screen is actually a giant lens (if it's a Fresnel/lenticular type) and is a relative bargain because of mass production. A 100" optical screen is close to $10K.

Otherwise, we just need to be patient. Supply/demand dictates selling price, not necessarily mfg cost, and prices are decreasing nicely.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Plasma is not for me at any size. They are so prone to "burn in" it's not funny. "

Ah, the great myth... Not funny.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
Ah, the great myth... Not funny.
I've seen it countless times, it's not funny. Videogames (static images) and Plasma TV's do not mix. We can agree to disagree if you like but I know what I've seen with my own eyes.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Where? In people's homes? I know multitudinous people who own plasmas and not one has experienced burn in. They take reasonable precautions, nothing special.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
A Best Buy manager told me that at a store where he used to work at (Before Best Buy) was setting up a huge display of Plasma TV's and they were left on during the night by accident. The program crashed that enabled the display to be on multiple TV's so they displayed a "frozen" picture and all of the Plasma TV's were ruined simultaneously due to screen burn when they came in the next morning.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I've seen it in countless stores. (and a home or two)

My main point is this... DLP's don't burn in.

Plasma's are susceptible to burn in. If you have kids who play videogames.. they are not a good mix. IMHO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.