AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HD20 and the HD71, which would you guys go for if both were very similar in price ?

I seem to be getting an offer for both of these at the same price point and wanted to ask which you guys would opt for. The HD71 being 720p but offering blasting brightness while the hd20 being moderately bright but with 1080p.

Thanks...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking along the same lines. Except for the brightness compromise. But theres still no news about the HD20 in terms of actual user reviews, Screen shots, etc. If you know of any please post them here for our perusal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gibson.

Im seeing mixed reports about the Brightness uniformity on the HD20 is it really 70% only ? for brightness uniformity ?? This seems like a big minus on this PJ.

And none mention the color wheel in the specs.

If anybody has the color wheel details for the HD20 (some say 6 segment RGBRGB @ 4x) and for the HD71 would be real helpful.

Even some details on the Vivitek H1080FD & Benq W1000 color wheel would be great as it seems like a healthy contender too at least from uniformity POV.

Thanks

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainman007 /forum/post/16988408

Thanks Gibson.

Im seeing mixed reports about the Brightness uniformity on the HD20 is it really 70% only ? for brightness uniformity ?? This seems like a big minus on this PJ.

And none mention the color wheel in the specs.

If anybody has the color wheel details for the HD20 (some say 6 segment RGBRGB @ 4x) and for the HD71 would be real helpful.

Even some details on the Vivitek H1080FD & Benq W1000 color wheel would be great as it seems like a healthy contender too at least from uniformity POV.

Thanks

I have two completely different Hd20 data sheets. One says 70% and the other says 85%. Go Fish!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Exactly. Yet another reflection on the trustworthiness of an Optoma. They themselves dont seem to know whats in the PJ. Or there are maybe 2 versions out in the market. What a company to deal with. But unfortunately theres nothing else than this substandard product with good specs (if they are true to the word that is). And if you mail optoma with these facts i dont think they'll give a damn to even reply.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
Unless your "price point" is under $800.00 for the HD-71, there is no real contest in that regard. I just obtained two for less than the above price for each. And there are more where those came from.

If you can place the HD20 at a optimal Throw distance, and splash it's image on a really decent surface, it's going to deliver the superior image, resolution wise.

But the HD-71 is a 2400 Uber-Lumen 720p with excellent scaling of 1080i content. And even at that brightness it's higher on-off contrast will serve any image better than the HD20 in that singular regard.

The latter is a first generation sub-$1000 1080p'er. For what it portends to be...and what it can do for the price, it does not deserve some of the acrimony it's gotten on this thread.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/17114971

The latter is a first generation sub-$1000 1080p'er. For what it portends to be...and what it can do for the price, it does not deserve some of the acrimony it's gotten on this thread.

Well stated. I think too many potential buyers of the HD20 are expecting

6500UB or AE3000 "like" performance for $999. It ain't going to happen. Any consumer purchase is a matter of compromise; the goal being to maximze value for the money spent. You can't go into a Volkswagen dealership expecting to find a Jetta that runs like a BMW 5 series. That's not to say that for the price, the Jetta isn't good value automobile. That all said, I will be watching the professional review sites for the comparison reviews of the Optoma/Benq/Vivitek and recently announced Mitsubishi...not to mention the potential price reductions and clearances after Cedia.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MissisipiMan > Hi, my viewers are mostly going to be seated at a distance much further than the projector. Im projecting on a 120" diagonal with the HD70 and love the image quality. I want something punchier, thats all. Will the HD71 be a good buy. Especially if my audiences are going to be sitting far away from the screen. The first row itself is about 3 feet behind where the PJ sits. I use these projectors to make presentation videos, but videos which are cinematic in nature and not just business presentations. These are videos about company based trekking adventures etc that tend to need a cinema like feel. Hence they cant be purely despised as a business presentation. Which pj do you think will solve my purpose. From the distance i have people sitting will it make a difference to have 1080p. After a few feet behind the PJ you need tech junkies to really tell the difference between 1080 and 720 right ?

Thanks

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainman007 /forum/post/17762383

MissisipiMan > Hi, my viewers are mostly going to be seated at a distance much further than the projector. Im projecting on a 120" diagonal with the HD70 and love the image quality. I want something punchier, thats all. Will the HD71 be a good buy. Especially if my audiences are going to be sitting far away from the screen.

It's a great PJ for your usage. By advised that it's "downward" len's shift is limited when inverted, so you should still try to place it as low as possible, or move your Screen as high as possible.

Quote:
The first row itself is about 3 feet behind where the PJ sits. From the distance i have people sitting will it make a difference to have 1080p. After a few feet behind the PJ you need tech junkies to really tell the difference between 1080 and 720 right ?

Thanks

Well...sometimes.
I state for the record that there is a whopping big difference in perceived and actual resolution and contrast between a 120" image shot out from even a Epson 6100 and what would come from a HD71. Ditto with a Panny 3000/4000. The truth is, the lowly 'ol Panny 200u puts out a smoother image at 120" than the HD71. By a stretch too.

But your right in your assumption that from a distance greater than 1.8:1 Seating to Screen, any pixelation or video noise is extremely hard to ascertain when viewing true scaled 1080i HD content on the HD71. Unless you have 20/10 vision and then it's always there.

Your main choice really should be factored around installation considerations as relates to the specific PJ being considered. After that....resolution and contrast. Contrast can be helped via a proper Screen surface....and resolution by judicious choice of signal source & content.

But if you can't effectively place a PJ where it can do the most good for you, then it really doesn't matter much what it's specs are. Certainly a LCD or Lycos 1080p with 5 figure Contrast and lens shift will have a decided advantage over a HD20. But with the $700.00 to $2500.00 pocketed in savings, one can afford to install the PJ "rightly" and provide a higher performance Screen (DIY?
) option than one might otherwise be able to manage.

To close...I've spent a great many hours installing HD71s and making Screens that let them perform like CRTs, so go with whatever you think will suit your purpose AND budget and I'm sure we can optimize everything else.

·
Registered
694 Posts
One thing you might want to watch out for regarding the HD20 is that it doesn't seem to support 24hz output. Check the main HD20 thread where I just posted a direct response from Optoma saying that it ACCEPTS a 24hz signal but then CONVERTS that to 60hz for output. This goes against what I have read about this pj and I fired another email back at them to double check. But as of right now that's the only official word I have seen on 24hz and the HD20.

By the way, I do have an HD20 and love it. Except for not being able to get it to display a 24hz signal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mississipiman > Hi, Thanks for the inputs. Im actually doing touring presentations. Different venues. My max screen size might be about 120-130 inches.

Im currently projecting hd material thru a 1080p media player. Coupled with the HD70 clarity is awesome and excellent colors etc. Its fantastic in everyway except when theres some slight ambient light in certain venues where i simply cant seal off the extremly high windows involved then i simply wish i had a tad bit more of brightness/contrast power. As in situations like this the HD70 slightly washes out and loses the image punch. Very slightly and i would like to address that problem first. Resolution isnt a problem, AS LONG as the HD71 will perform equally well in color reproduction and contrast.

I mean the HD71 shouldnt be even slightly worse in these aspects compared to the HD70 while offering me more brightness. So what do you suggest. At a viewing distance of 15' (and the viewers only get farther from there on) from a 120" diag screen do you think the HD20 will really show more detail to our eyes.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainman007 /forum/post/17770788

Mississipiman > Hi, Thanks for the inputs. Im actually doing touring presentations. Different venues. My max screen size might be about 120-130 inches.

Im currently projecting hd material thru a 1080p media player. Coupled with the HD70 clarity is awesome and excellent colors etc. Its fantastic in everyway except when theres some slight ambient light in certain venues where i simply cant seal off the extremly high windows involved then i simply wish i had a tad bit more of brightness/contrast power. As in situations like this the HD70 slightly washes out and loses the image punch. Very slightly and i would like to address that problem first. Resolution isnt a problem, AS LONG as the HD71 will perform equally well in color reproduction and contrast.

I mean the HD71 shouldnt be even slightly worse in these aspects compared to the HD70 while offering me more brightness. So what do you suggest. At a viewing distance of 15' (and the viewers only get farther from there on) from a 120" diag screen do you think the HD20 will really show more detail to our eyes.

Given this scenario, I'd go with the HD71.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Recon,

Given the HD71 will be much brighter, any downsides compared to the HD70 ?

Given your actual experience with the PJs in question (regardless of on paper specs)...

Will the HD71 perform at least equal to the HD70, in other areas, such as clarity, brightness uniformity, color reproduction (gradients), rainbows ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainman007 /forum/post/17777378

Thanks Recon,

Given the HD71 will be much brighter, any downsides compared to the HD70 ?

Given your actual experience with the PJs in question (regardless of on paper specs)...

Will the HD71 perform at least equal to the HD70, in other areas, such as clarity, brightness uniformity, color reproduction (gradients), rainbows ?

Thanks

You should see similar performance but the offset is half that of the HD70.

The added lumens shift your perception of brightness and contrast but in an ambient light environment the only thing you will notice is that your images will show up better because of those lumens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts