AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay just bught the Optoma HD20 and a few issues that concern me. #1 this thing is very loud. I can hear the fan speed up and slow down. It is very annoying. I can see a change in brightness/color as the fan speeds up and slow downs. i really noticed this in the first 10 minutes of "I love you, Man", Put in "Ito the wild" and it was less noticable. I also notice it doesnt seem to be as sharp as my two other 720p projectors (samsung 710 and panny ax200). Im not sure if it is because of the lens or what? I am about ready to send this thing back and eat the 15% loss. I have owned the optoma DV10 in the past with the auto AI engaged and dont recall the fan speeding up and slowing down in an annoying way...Any HD20 owners out there with the same problem or maybe I have a bad unit? Light leakage is also ridiculous. There is a danger in buying a first line production model...Maybe I got a lemon??

·
Registered
147 Posts
It doesn't sound like you have a defective unit--just some differences from your previous projector to adjust to.

Yes, I would try turning the image A/I feature off. It isn't meant for video (moving) images. I have heard that it causes the fan to come on a lot and obviously causes changes in brightness.

My fan is very quiet, barely noticeable (I don't use image AI).

Regarding sharpness: you should try the test patterns (such as the grid) that are built in. Also just examine the menus. Are those all sharp? My guess is that maybe you are feeding it a less than optimal signal. Perhaps you have everything set for 720p and you can modify your sources to output 1080p or 1080i.

I have noted the scaler is not as good as my old projector's. I wasn't too satisfied with a 480p picture sent from my DVD player. Using upscaled sources I get very good results.

I would take a deep breath, give yourself some days to decide, and see about addressing the issues one by one. Hopefully with the AI off you will find the fan noise OK. Put a blu-ray at 1080p into it. I think you'll be impressed.

Also you need to make some adjustments to settings as others have noted: I pushed the color setting down to 50, set mode to cinema or user. Proper calibration should bring down the black level pretty well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.