AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When feeding a 1080i signal into the Sony XBR I get the 16x9 picture when viewing HiDef NBC. This makes black bands appear above and below the picture which is expected since the the picture is 16x9 displaying on a 4x3 screen.

When NBC is not showing the full 16x9 picture and is sending 4x3 a black border to the left and right of the picture is added in addition to the black border above and below the picture.

Is there some way to zoom up the 4x3 picture into the full size of the screen?

Thanks, Alfred

·
Registered
807 Posts
Most likely not. The TVs that I know of lock in to 16:9 mode when receiving a 1080i signal.

I haven't actually used either product, but based on experience with other products, it seems like you would have two possibilities. One solution would be to connect the receiver to your TV with an s-video cable as well and switch to that when watching 4:3 material. This should allow you to use the HD200 to zoom in. The other one would be to change the output format on the receiver to 480p which should also allow you to zoom using the receiver.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
It depends on your TV.

If your 4:3 TV locks into 16:9 screen mode with HD input, you'll have to change the HD200 STB to output SD to get a 4:3 screen.

My RCA 52" 4:3 TV allows selection of either 4:3 or 16:9 format, regardless of the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.