Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my HD200 and the GWII for a month and I stiil can't decide what

format to use. My wife gets upset when I start changing formats while

we are watching a movie. So I will let ya'll decide for me.

Any thoughts on which format has the best picture?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply WOLVERNOLE. I am surprised I have not heard back from

more members.:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use variable 2. The logic is that the set ultimately has to scale to 768p which is the native resolution of the LCDs. I figured it is best to minimize the scaling back and forth. If you go Auto-DVI then it appears that 480i/p goes to 480p and 720p or 1080i go to 1080i. The TV then has to scale either to 768p which means that for ABC OTA you go 720p->1080i->768p which seems likely to introduce more artifacting than 720p-768p which is what will happen in variable 2. Similarly for 480i/p signals it didn't make sense to me to go 480i or p->1080i->768p as opposed to 480i or p->768p.

In fact I can't really see much difference on 720p whether I go to 1080i before sending it to the GWII or not since the picture is good either way - it is more the theory of reducing the scaling steps than antything I can detect. If I could see the difference then the decision would be easy! My only hesitation is that the fact that Auto-DVI defaults to 1080i for both 720p and 1080i source implies a preference on the part of the TV but I can't understand a logic that would lead to such preference.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look at the tread that is talking about variables. I cannot get variable 2. What is the difference between the variables (1,2 or3)?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Thommason---

QUOTE: My only hesitation is that the fact that Auto-DVI defaults to 1080i for both 720p and 1080i source implies a preference on the part of the TV but I can't understand a logic that would lead to such preference. END QUOTE

You are correct but in my case Auto-DVI defaluts to *720p* for both 720p and 1080i sources. Even stranger is the fact that my plasma monitor converts everything to 1080i for display so it seems Auto-DVI should output 1080i like yours. Wanna trade boxes?? :D

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sner
You are correct but in my case Auto-DVI defaults to *720p* for both 720p and 1080i sources. Even stranger is the fact that my plasma monitor converts everything to 1080i for display so it seems Auto-DVI should output 1080i like yours. Wanna trade boxes?? :D
What plasma do you have? Except for the Fujitsu ALIS models, all the plasmas I know of are strictly progressive, and note of them are 1080-anything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
What plasma do you have? Except for the Fujitsu ALIS models, all the plasmas I know of are strictly progressive, and note of them are 1080-anything.
I have the Hitachi 42HDT20 (ALIS like the Fujitsu). It is 1024 X 1024. According to a review I saw in TPV, conventional 42-43" plasmas "overdisplay"(term coined by Gary Merson since plasmas don't scan) 1080i material by about 5% in all directions creating a "safe area" to mask image position inconsistencies in HD broadcasts. A 1920x1080 image fed to one of these plasmas is converted to something closer to 1020 pixels vertically and 1800 pixels horizontally. Conventional plasmas scale the remaining 1020 vertical pixels to 768 vertical pixels, or whatever the native pixel count of the display demands.

The 42HDT20 also overdisplays the 1080i image, but it does so in such a way that derives exactly 1024 vertical pixels, which are then displayed with no vertical scaling(and thus no vertical scaling artifacts). This increased vertical resolution and reduction of artifacts translate to an image that is perceptibly sharper.[end of Merson quote; TPV Sept/Oct 2002].

....but I still don't understand why or if the Hitachi is "requesting" a 720p signal from the Sony in DVI mode.....

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
RGATHRIGHT-

Well this is a good discussion and a lot of good info. I just find that the DVI Auto seems to look as good or better than the other options on my Sony GW 50XBR800. (LCD). As "sner" indicated, I understand that the HD200 "senses" that my native resolution is at 768p and goes there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.