AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could really use some help on this one... Friday, I displayed the guide and it was all empty and frozen. I powered off/on and found I had to reset custom channels. I do not get local channels from Directtv but I do get OTA channels. So I drop the Dtv locals from the custom guide. This has always worked until Friday. Let's say I press 2/enter. The guide now always starts at 100, not 2! I spent hours trying different things and have found that to get it to work I now have to add the dtv channel 2 to the custom guide even though I don't get it.

Anyone else see this or have a solution? Could dtv be doing this?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been there done that......... I receive the local channels fine. It's just that if I want to go to ch 2 while the guide is up I used to just press 2, now 2 sends the guide to 100 then you have to back up from there.

New info, I can get it to work ONLY if I add a dtv local, in this case SF2 back to the custom menu. The problem is that I don't get SF2. This will happen to any OTA channel, if I take out SF7 then press 7 while the guide is up it goes to 100.

·
Registered
359 Posts
regicat,

I posted this issue a fe wmonths back and noticed that a few others were experiencing the same issue. Basically, when the guide is up and you enter a local channel, it goes to Channel 100 or somewhere close to it. I called DIrect TV and SOny on this and SOny's solution was to replace the box. I'm living with it for the moment, but may exchange the box if something doesn't get resolved soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In the guide, here's what the HD200 is doing. It lists in this order (seen by the all channels guide):

1) DirecTV local

2) OTA local analog

3) OTA local digital

So for Channel 2, you see SF2, KTVU 2, KTVU-DT 2.1.

When you hide channels in the custom guide, if you select a hidden channel, the HD200 is too stupid to go to the next nearest channel number. Instead, it goes to the first DirecTV channel at 100 or above that's not hidden. (In my case, channels 100, 101, and 102 are hidden so it goes to 103.)

The reason why you've been observing this problem recently is because up until last week, the guide used to display the channels in this order:

1) OTA local analog

2) DirecTV local

3) OTA local digital

So when you used to hide the DirecTV local (since you don't get them), and selected "2" in the guide, the guide jumped to the analog (which you did not hide) since that's first in order. Now that the order is switched, you now see this problem.

Although I can sympathize with you, I personally like the order it's listed now. Of course, I'm being selfish because I have DirecTV locals (for the other receivers), so I hide the analog version and do not have this jumping problem. Note however that I, and others, have been suffering this guide problem before the listed order was switched last week. I don't know why the order changed, or how for that matter. The software version remains at 1.04.

Of course, the real fix is to improve the guide so that it will go to the next closest channel entered, rather than reverting to the first DirecTV channel above 100 that's not hidden. I have mentioned this to JFerg before, and he says that it's a glitch that's unlikely to be fixed.

Exchanging the box will do no good, since your unit is working properly with the software it has. I found out the hard way, by following Sony Tech's "solution" of returning my new unit for a refurbished one. When the called again with the same guide problem using the refurbished one, the Level 2 tech said that that's how the box is supposed to work. When I asked why they exchange my brand new unit in the first place, he didn't have any good response except an apology.

Now I have a refurbished one, but paid the price of a new one. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems or I'd be more upset. Bottom line is don't exchange it! You should document this problem with Sony service though. Perhaps with enough complaints, there may be a software upgrade. I've done my part by already documenting this case to Sony support, and sending back Sony's service survey with poor marks.

Bryant

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.... I was also on the phone with Sony today for about 2 hours (level 3?). Then he looked into some database and said they got a lot of calls since Friday. I guess the only simple solution is to just add channel 2 dtv and press 2 for any ota channel and go from there. This stinks since if you remove the other dtv locals I can't press that number to go to them directly any more.

I'm in SF area so there are about 5 pages of OTA channels I receive, 8 if I don't remove the dtv locals.

New info: This not only affects OTA but dtv channels as well! I used to be able to press 500 to go to the 500 range which starts at 501. Now 500 takes me to 103!

·
Registered
136 Posts
This has happend to me as well with my local chanels in Seattle, except now I can't add the digital OTA stations to my favorites list. I can see the channels in the guide, but I cannot add them to my list. It used to have a logo of channel CBS, but now it just says 7.1. When I go there, it doesn't work. When I type 7.1 it shows up. I add it to the favorites, but when I return to the menu, they are gone. I can add the Directv channels, but not the OTA digital. I am not happy about this. Why would it work one day, and then not the other. Something changed either from Sony or Directv. I didn't pay $700 to have this. I am going to call and see what else I can find out. This can't be acceptable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This same thing started happening to my SAT520 (the freezing and rebuild) a few days ago. Then last night it froze again for a while but recovered and didn't rebuild the channel list.

The other problem with pressing channel 2 and getting 100 has always been a problem on my STB and I have D* ch 2 in my custom channel lineup. I get the same results with any of the channels under 100 unless I press channel 1 (which doesn't exist) then it positions to ch 999 OR if I type in one of the HD channel number like 4-1 it will work correctly. I find it easier to press 1 and enter then to press 4, -, 1 then enter so that's what I use most of the time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpalmer7
This has happend to me as well with my local chanels in Seattle, except now I can't add the digital OTA stations to my favorites list. I can see the channels in the guide, but I cannot add them to my list. It used to have a logo of channel CBS, but now it just says 7.1. When I go there, it doesn't work. When I type 7.1 it shows up. I add it to the favorites, but when I return to the menu, they are gone. I can add the Directv channels, but not the OTA digital. I am not happy about this. Why would it work one day, and then not the other. Something changed either from Sony or Directv. I didn't pay $700 to have this. I am going to call and see what else I can find out. This can't be acceptable.
Call your local CBS broadcaster and see if they are chainging their PSIP data around.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sony called back and said since Friday they now have Hundreds of calls on this. They said Top Sony management got involved and they traced it to DirectTv. Now it's out of thier control and we have to wait for dtv to fix it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My HD200 has also been acting weird lately. Yesterday it threw up a blue screen with a bunch of hexadecimal lines (a-la Microsoft Windows) and then rebooted itself and recreated its channel list. One thing I find interesting is one day my high def OTA channels will be beside the DirecTV local and OTA analog channels in the guide, as 9.1 for example. The next day the high def channel will be listed in the guide as the UHF channel (34 for example) that it really resides on. Strange stuff's going on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is comforting to know that I'm not the only one to have experienced really weird HD200 behavior this week. I had ten digit channel numbers in my favorites list after DirecTV did whatever they did.

...it was probably an ill-conceived plot to perform a mass-unhide of the shopping channels...

They've been screwing up my TiVo (T60) channel lists on a weekly basis too.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I own an HD100 and two HD200s. The HD100 by *far* has been the most reliable unit. The HD200s have been nothing but problems -- in fact, one of them completely died a few days ago. I hate dealing with tech support...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Surprise, my HD200 has also been misbehaving for the last two+ weeks. It will not retain my custom channel settings. I purchased the unit in Apr. I had a few problems the first four months but since September it has been intolerable. The unit will not retain the custom channel settings. I don't even bother to call Sony anymore. I have found that they always blame D*.:mad:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by regicat
Sony called back and said since Friday they now have Hundreds of calls on this. They said Top Sony management got involved and they traced it to DirectTv. Now it's out of thier control and we have to wait for dtv to fix it.
"Top Sony management" :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.