AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that many astute members here have had some time to experiment, it would be nice to know if there is some consensus as to the best connections and settings.

I have tried the dvi and component connections, but have not spent any time switching back and forth or trying anything else.

My HD200 is hooked up to a 34xbr800 and I watch direct tv (hd and sd), non-digital cable and dvds. No ota yet.

Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have it hooked up both to the component and the DVI. We watch the DVI, so when I get the XBOX it will take over the component spot.

I think the DVI is just a little bit better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I, too, have the HD200 connected to the 34XBR800, and have DirecTV as well.

I have only used the DVI connection and have zero complaints. HD stuff is breathtaking, and the satellite, cable and OTA reception is quite good, too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I tried again this weekend. My wife and I agree - DVI tends to produce colors that look washed out when compared to component. I'm sticking with component for now. This is very subjective, so do what works better for you.

This is with a 34XBR800 and HD200.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies. I thought the same thing- that dvi looked a bit washed up and went to component. I went back to dvi to experiment and was again disappointed. Went into the tv settings and saw that the picture setting was all the way to the right. Like most people, I set most the settings for picture, brightness, etc. in the middle range or left. So, I wonder if switching around somehow reset that value.

Anyway, when I did reset things the picture was fine and even sd was sort of ok and the washed-out look was gone.

So, what I learned is that perhaps dvi is indeed brutally accurate and one has to make sure the tv settings are themselves correct.

Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.