AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Mitsu HD5 over ebay @ a month ago (I know, I know - don't say it, don't say it....), anyway the local digital reception hasn't been very good, and it's taken me a while to isoloate the reception issues to the STB - I've installed a cooling fan, which definitely helps, but after taking the STB to a local electronics store and seeing the exact same issue using their antenna (they have the same STB installed with no reception problems), I believe the HDTV OTA tuner is bad due to heat issues (which those boxes are known for).

of course, the slug that i bought it from wants nothing to do with me - even though the item said "guaranteed to work" (obviously, IMO it doesn't). Mitsu has agreed to replace the unit with a refurb for $100 (with a new 1 yr warranty).

Does anyone here have any other suggestions...like maybe a friendly retailer who'll trade me and send mine in as defective like a regular return (I was in retail for a while and know how the "return" games are played).

Thanks for any advice you might offer!!

Kendal

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I speak only for myself. I have had a Mit STB for 18 months now and no problems. The main thing is getting OTA reception is a very good UHF antenna ..some 25-30 feet above the ground with a reasonable line of sight to the transmitters. With a good antenna, such as Winegard HD9095, Televes Dat75(which I have) or the Blake 21..and the transmitter is 60 miles or less, you should get a very good picture with very little dropouts or blocking..(on some stations almost zero of these) ... under 40 miles and your reception should be near perfect. A good UHF highly directional antenna is the key here. I have had zero problems with MIT STB and no over-heating. And the HD programming looks great!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know what to tell you... I have swapped / replaced my Mits SR-HD500 at least 6 times. In fact, a replacement is waiting at home for me. Also, my Toshiba DST3000 has been replaced 3 times so far.

I've spent lots of $$$ having my wiring & equipment checked out. About 3 months ago I signed up for the DirecTV protection plan and I have had my dish completely replaced with the brand new DirecTV 3 LNB integrated multiswitch dish, my cheapy DirecTV Silver rcvr replaced and now my 1st Mits rcvr failure since going on the plan... It's not costing me a cent above the $5.95 a month!

Pretty poor that I had to resort to this "insurance". All of my Mits & DST failures except for 1 pwr supply have been the same exact issue. The Satellite rcvr section gets ZERO signal or lock from the front end. So no Sat viewing or OTH HD. But, my cable input stills would work.

It's too bad after spending $899 & $699 for these babies - neither vendor will admit they have a design problem.. Both devices are the same, as they are OEMed from hughes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.