AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an Epson S1 for a bunch of years and am ready to purchase a new projector very soon. I've done a lot of reading here but I still need a bit more advice on the issue. I have been borrowing my sister's HD65 for a couple of months so I could get some perspective on the HD projectors. I have enjoyed using the HD65 quite a bit but have a few problems. First off the rainbow effect is fairly annoying for me, its not the worst thing in the world but I'd rather not see it. I also seem to be very sensitive to a lot of camera motion when watching movies and playing games on this projector. I don't know if what causes this. I also don't feel like the image is quite as bright as I would like. When there is a little light coming in from behind the shades the image gets washed out a lot more than I'd expect it should. With this experience in mind I would like to ask all of you how the new projectors fair with these issues COMPARED to the HD65? Specifically I am wondering how is the brightntess/contrast, and rainbow effect of the Optoma HD20 and the Mitsubishi HC3800 compared to the HD65.

PS. I am only considering the new Epson 8100 as a last resort because I was not very impressed with the quality of the last projector and subsequent issues with Epson as a company.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I expect that. My question is "how much compared to the HD65?" which is the known quantity. I'm really hoping that owners of two of these can chime in.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Iv'e had the hd70 (which should be close to the hd65), the hd20 and hc3800. They are all about the same in terms of RBE. I see them most on very dark scenes that have some very bright parts of the image (e.g. a dark room with daylight coming through a window). Since the hd20 and hc3800 are brighter projectors, then you will see more RBE if you use the normal/high lamp options vs. low lamp--what I use. That said, if you are looking at whether the hc3800 is better than the hd20, then yes, better 3D-like image, and better sharpness. Both are about the same brightness, though.

If RBE is annoying, then you probably should consider an lcd projector like the Epsons, but you'll pay more. Few DLPs have a fast enough wheel to avoid it unless you pay a lot more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. I thank you for your input. I'm disappointed to have my concerns about RBE confirmed. When you are running your projector in "normal lamp mode" I'm guessing its satisfactorily bright? I suppose I will have to try and demo a newer LCD to see how the SDE is these days.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorQ /forum/post/18326987

Interesting. I thank you for your input. I'm disappointed to have my concerns about RBE confirmed. When you are running your projector in "normal lamp mode" I'm guessing its satisfactorily bright? I suppose I will have to try and demo a newer LCD to see how the SDE is these days.

With a 1080p LCD, I need to move within a foot of the screen (108") to even see a hint of SDE. Its a non issue these days.

If your concerned about the quality of the Epson (I hear their warranty service is second to none) take a look at the ViewSonic Pro8100. Check out the thread on the $3000+ side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts