AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Epson TW10 (480p wide screen) projector with a 60 wide no name screen that came with a projector. I've had it more than 3 years (just changed the lamp after almost 3000 hours) and I've been very happy with it. It has been used only in Theatre Black (eco) mode, although the room is rarely fully dark, especially in the summer time (one side of the room is full of windows with just blinds and no other curtains), since I found the colours more pleasing for my eye in that mode. But, as I said already, I've been happy with that set up. That is until I connected my HTPC. While TV and video files look ok whit it, I could really use higher resolution when using it as a PC (mainly tweaking the HTPC). I could also use a little more brightness (the projector is rated 1000 ANSI according to specs).

So I've decided to go for a wide screen 720p projector. But I find it hard to decide which one to get, since I can't seem to be able to test them before purchasing here in Lithuania where I'm currently working (and probably will for several additional years). Also the prices are not nearly as competitive as you have over the pond (go figure why perhaps the manufactures are under the impression that people in Eastern Europe are much wealthier than in North America). So the projectors that are at my budget range are the Optoma H70, Mitsubishi HD1000U and Epson EMP-TW700. The price range difference is about 150 HD70 being the cheapest and the TW700 the most expensive, but since it's relatively minor difference that would not be necessarily a deciding factor.

So here are my two questions:

1) Which projector should I get? As you notice from my current setup, I'm not that demanding. The easy placement of the TW700 would be handy but not necessary. Also I do not care that much for colour accuracy, just as long it looks good.

(Having said that, I have an Optoma EzPro 739 (I think) DLP projector at the office and that one must have the worst colours in video play back I've ever seen. It also has problems with whites and blacks. The white colours burn loosing most of the details and black lack any shades. On top of that it seems to have difficulty to keep up whit the video signal, especially with complex colour patterns like the human face. One frame all the natural defects of the skin are there next frame they seem to be flushed, and the following frame they are back again. Very annoying! I hope this not a normal feature on Optoma and/or DLP projectors.)

2) I want a slightly bigger screen (maybe around 80 wide screen) but I'm not willing to pay the enormous amounts of money they are asking for them, so I'm probably going to do it myself. What material/colour should I use? I did some testing by comparing white laminated chipboard to my current screen and I didn't notice a big difference. But I remember reading somewhere that would be a bad idea. Does anyone know why? I'm also thinking of using a laminated hard board (I don't know the English name for it, but it's the cheap thin cardboard like material that is usually nailed behind bookshelves) and paint the laminated side with some colour with some black boards. What colour should I get if those made for projector screens are not available here (which seems very likely)?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some research, I found out that the Epson TW700 here in Europe is the same as the Epson 810 in the US. While the HD70 and HD1000U are considerably more expensive here than over the pond, the TW700 is much cheaper over here! So I refrase my question:

1) Which projector would you recomend if Optoma H70, Mitsubishi HD1000U and Epson EMP-TW700 (PowerLite Pro Cinema 810 in the US) where about the same price? (I'm srating to lean towards the TW700 because of the price issue.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Against all odds, I was able to see the Optoma HD70 in action today. The presentation conditions where not best, more like on the other end of the scale. I ended up shooting a more than 5m diagonal picture on a white wall in a room that wasn't really dark (initially it was pointed to a 3000+ silver screen with a gain of 2.0). However, even in those conditions I was rather impressed with it.

PS. Feels like I'm talking to myself in this forum
spooky

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Sasler,

The 810 / 700 threads in this forum have a very devoted following. I would sugest you read the master thread on it if you haven't already.

The flexibility due to lens shift, optics, and brightness are better on the 700. While the HD1000 is bright, most reviews mesured it topping out at 1300 lumens in it's brightest mode, while the 700 / 810 was clocked at over 2000 in it's brightest mode. Since ambient light is the only real condition you mentioned, I would go for the 700.

Jonathan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sasler,

I'm ordering a TW700 tomorrow - I'll report on it when I get it in a few weeks..

The general conclusion is that the Mitsubishi is slightly better than the optoma, but both are good projectors.

If you can see a 700, I'd love to hear your comments on it.

as Jonathan mentioned, the Epson's got Major flexibility in placement that the 2 DLP's don't have - this flexibility extends both to zoom (front to back) and also offset (up and down, but also side to side)

Even if you plan to mount the projector on the cieling, the offset can really make like easier - with the 2 DLPs you mentioned, you'll need to get that cieling mount EXACT.

Lastly, If you're buying 720P right now, you realize that you'll someday move to 1080, so you have think about what those placement restrictions are going to do to resale value on your projector in a few years - you might have a friend who wants to buy it from you, but can't because it won't work in his or her home - that would be a real shame.

and of course as Jonathan also said, extra brightness NEVER hurts - ever... if it's too bright, run it in low lamp mode and get extra life from the unit...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.