AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going back and forth between HD70 and HD1000u...for those who bought the HD70, would you now get the HD1000u if you had known about the drop in price, etc....or would you stay with HD70, and why? Thanks.

Still sitting on the fence, and my butt is getting tired!!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooper /forum/post/0

I am going back and forth between HD70 and HD1000u...for those who bought the HD70, would you now get the HD1000u if you had known about the drop in price, etc....or would you stay with HD70, and why? Thanks.

maybe for the added brightness...(although the hd70 has been plenty bright enough so far)...If I had to do it again I would see both of these for myself thats the only true way to make an educated decision as they are almost identical...

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I don't think the offset of the HD1000U would fit in my HT. The HD70 just barely fits. And we are very happy with the PQ of the HD70. The low noise level is really great as well. I have no idea how it compares to the HD1000U in fan noise, however.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
nope... the extra warranty is a big deal for me because i dont have to have an extended warranty like i would with the mits so that would make the price difference right there.

And I like having a projector from a company that does nothing but projectors (and its their bread and butter). That was very apparent to me at CES.

It also (based on specs) has slightly better contrast (and Ive heard a couple of reviews saying that) but thats really more an effect of the mits being brighter (all depends on what you want)

·
Registered
857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooper /forum/post/0

I have owned both and kept the Mits due to the following:

Better OTB calibration

Better color rendering. Optoma had a Technicolor look whereas the Mits colors are more natural. Optoma appears to be set up OTB to present a show room type image which looks nice but not accurate.

I like the brightness of the Mits. Even in the low setting it is very bright.

Even with the brightness the black level can be tweaked to look better than the Optoma with the use of the SETUP which allows you to set it to Off, 3.5. or 7.5. The AI function on the Optoma is annoying but it does deliver good black level. Black detail appeard better on the Mits with more control of the shading by using only the brightness/contrast controls.

Skin tones are better on the Mits without tinkering with OTB settings.

Liked the three memories for each input on Mits. Optoma only had one memory.

Liked the center lens layout rather than the side layout.

Liked the power cord going into back of Mits. Optoma is on side.

Wish the Mits were white.

Liked the Optoma remote much better. Moot point since I plan on integrating my system with a Harmony remote.

Offset is less but not by much on the Optoma. Not an issue since I have 9' ceiling.

Light leakage about the same. Not an issue.

Scaler in each looked about the same. Slight nod to the Optoma. Not an issue due to my using an external scaler.

Focus/Zoom are much better on Mits. Optoma was kinda a kludge.

My impression is there are fewer issues identified with the Mits line on this forum.

Image on both seemed solid and about the same in terms of processing. I never noticed the banding some have associated with the 8 bit vs 10 bit. processing.

Price, Mits $100 less based on internet pricing.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Optoma syncs better on VGA to 1280X720 than Mits. My HD1000u would only sync. to 1280X720X60 on DVI->HDMI and not VGA (only XGA will sync well to do 1:1 with pillarbox on the sides).

It's a moot point for me as I only use my PC to play games any more as I use Bravo D1 via DVI->HDMI for DVD (or Samsung HD941 DCDi via HDMI for DVD as backup for those discs that Bravo won't play) and using VGA port for an extra HD component input for my HD receiver.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey /forum/post/0

Optoma syncs better on VGA to 1280X720 than Mits. My HD1000u would only sync. to 1280X720X60 on DVI->HDMI and not VGA (only XGA will sync well to do 1:1 with pillarbox on the sides).

That's an odd issue and not one that my HD1000u suffers. It syncs just fine at [email protected] I've never had an issue getting the image to sync. What video card do you use?

Having said that, the HD70 seems to be more user friendly with VGA though. The Mits is definitely not super intuitive nor does the manual really seem to match real world experience wrt 16x9 and real mode. I love that the Mits has some sophisticated controls for positioning the image, but, we shouldn't have to use them to display the native panel resolution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would not switch from the HD70 to the Mitshubishi. Once calibrated I have really enjoyed the HD70. It is easy to install and is very quiet. I demoed them both side by side and could not tell much of a difference at all.

I just finished watching The Bears - Saints game in HD and am going to watch Indy - Pats in a few minutes. Sports still look great as well as movies. This projector will serve me for a couple of years until I adopt a 1080 model.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I have Radeon 9800 Pro and I'm sure it's related to my card and crappy Cat drivers. I should have gone Nvidia

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Nope - I've got my HD70 setup the way I like it, have not heard any complaints from anyone, and I don't have any problems with my setup. I don't see any reason why I would need to reconsider my selection. Used the DVE disk to tweak the projector for realistic color and set all my inputs with it. Two additional items: I like the size and I like the color of the projector itself.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
I have Radeon 9800 Pro and I'm sure it's related to my card and crappy Cat drivers. I should have gone Nvidia

then when you critique the Mits for poor VGA sync at 720p, which you've done several times, you should say this....

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/0

then when you critique the Mits for poor VGA sync at 720p, which you've done several times, you should say this....

I think he should mention it because it still means the projectors vga is fussy ....and about half of the HTPC's out there use ati cards with the cat drivers...so its worth mentioning..although he should while mentioning this also mention its because of the videocard.

·
Registered
287 Posts
no, i'd keep my HD70. this is b/c i found an HD70 at a retail store and was thus able to use coupons and sale deals as well as my Reward Zone card. i bought my HD70 at the very beginning of December for a lot less money than the HD1000U is right now. i got my HD70 for $790.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I bought the 70 and had the chance to exchange it in an even trade for the Mits. I auditioned both units in close to ideal conditions using HD material from HD-DVD players. They are both very close. I liked the better shadow detail and I preferred the color balance of the 70, so I kept mine. The Mits at $100 cheaper is a great deal--I think I would have gone the Mits route at that price, but just to save $100, not because of performance issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.