AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from the Hd27 to the Hd70. The Hd70 is currently being shipped. I have a Greywolf 92" (version 1) from before and now the Hd70 is coming with a 92" matte white (1.0 gain). I will be ceiling mounting the Hd70 (about 7.5 foot ceilings). Just wondering if the Greywolf is going to be a problem (brightness issues) due to the ceiling mount (I know that table mount is preferred). Opinions of using the greywolf ceiling mounted vs a matte white screen would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If you are ceiling mounting the PJ, then the Matte White is your best option at this point. I could say alot more on the subject but the meat and potatoes of the point is that the Matte White will outperform the Greywolf in this specific application.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
A ceiling mounted PJ and a Graywolf tamed down the HD70's high brightness and gave it twice the blacks, more 3D pop. Plus it's great with the white walls. That's what I saw.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The Greywolf has the added benifit of not showing waves in the screen, and reduces any SDE. Based on the average 8' ceiling, you'll be the negetive gain area for the Greywolf, but as guitarman points out, it can tame some of the brightness of the HD70 and give you better blacks.

Jonathan

·
Registered
340 Posts
i have a white screen (BO), and i would love to try a grey painted screen to see what it does for me, but if i end up not liking it, id have to redo everything again.

So... does anyone have any pictures to just show/detail the difference in shades/colours/blacks on say half white and half grey on the same wall or something? even if you have two screens, one of each, just put it next to each other and a few shots!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I will stand by my original post.... I used a GWII for nearly 5 months before switching over to a cheap Matte White screen. Though I am not pleased with the occasional waves that I notice on the screen... I would much prefer them over the dingy-colored, dull, glass reflecting screen of the GWII.

Yes, my blacks were blacker.... but so was every other color.

NOTE: My PJ is ceiling mounted and my room is 100% light controlled. I am told that when the circumstances are different, the GWII really shines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.