AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I don't use the Faroudja, but that's kind of irrelevant to the question of how many scan lines to run. On a 16x9 screen, the consensus is that the optimum is around 1280x720p, when its well calibrated, i.e. well focused, well converged, and running at a reasonable contrast level to avoid any blooming. If you have really good light control and a reasonable sized screen, you can even go up to 768p perhaps, though you'll probably be getting a bit of overlap at that point.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dean,

What are you using? A Transcanner perhaps?

I currently have a TS and I like it also at about 720 lines. I'm looking to possibly replace it with an NR, though and it was suggested that I get the 800x600 model.

My gut (and my testing with my TS) tells me to go the 720p route instead but I wanted some other opinions from HD700 owners.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Hi...I run a HD700 with a Fru 2200. I am set at 800x600 and have a 8 foot wide screen (185:1). I seen no scan lines and also feel I have no overlap of scan lines due to running at too high of a rez.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
David,

Do you feel you have adequate brightness with your setup...it must have quite a few hours on the tubes by now?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
What are you using? A Transcanner perhaps?
I'm using a Geforce based HTPC. I'm currently experimenting with 1368x768, and at the low contrast that I run it at (on my 92" diagonal screen, 1.3 gain), its just at the point of scan lines touching.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Jeff:

I have A LOT of brightness with more room to spare. I only have like 1400 hours on this unit.

The screen however is a custom made Stewart, custom sprayed 1.6 gain. Forgot to mention that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.