AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased an HD65 from Costco locally and been using it in my light controlled home theater with a 96" Firehawk screen (1.2 gain). Brightness and pop were great, as were black levels. The image was a touch noisy as was the volume of the projector. It was good, but not perfect. I then found the HC720 for about $100 less plus free bulb at Costco and then switched them. The Epson bests the HD65 in image noise, fan volume and slightly on shadow detail. It loses in the black level and brightness (pop) category. The Epson is really good, but something still seems like it is missing too much for my liking (the pop and blacks).

All of the sudden I walked into my local Costco today and found the HD71 on the shelves for $250 less than the HD65 was 2 weeks ago (no extra bulb). I have read the reviews of the HD71 being a light cannon, and I think I might like that (I definitely missed the brightness and pop of the HD65). I am looking for this projector to be quiet (like the Epson in Theater Black 1 mode), have good blacks and lots of pop. I also don't want the projector to be too bright where things look washed out.

Looking for anyone with experience with these here. I'd love to spend some time trying it out, but I don't feel like going through the motions of trying it out if it probably won't suit my needs. The throw distance and offset are perfect for my room btw.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i dont know. i havent seen the hd65, nor any other projector outside one setup in a crummy bar. but i just put an hd71 in my livingroom and it was very bright for the first 500 hours.... ever since it has taken a steep step down, and right now at 600 hours is bright enough but its not 'holy ****' like it used to be. before, it was bright enough to look like a normal tv in the daytime with drawn curtains... but now really it needs to be a dark room to look like a tv.

i stressed it though. 600 hours in 7 weeks. bight mode too for the lamp... it does cool itself well and even though its been on 12 hours a day it hasnt seemed like it matters. besides the whole thing about the bulb losing brightness with a quickness. i really should have left it on normal mode and just lived with it. bulb warranty should rescue me though.

in any case, if youre looking for a new projector, i sure would go with something 1080p instead. this thing is pretty damn good for under a grand.. but a five hundred more can get you something window-like...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts