AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost hate to post this for fear of giving Santellavision more ammunition for his 931 bashing crusade.....however I'd like to figure this "quirk" out.

While I was calibrating my HLN467W using the IRE fields from the Avia DVD I noticed a faint ghosting on the screen. Close inspection showed the image to be the menu screen that the test field had been selected from. From the menu I chose a 10 IRE field which then comes up but it had a very faint ghost image of the previous menu. Skipping to the next chapter (20 IRE) made the image disappear, I skipped back to 10 IRE and the ghosting was gone. This week I received the new DVE DVD and noticed the exact same issue. I don't recall the Title or chapter but I pressed play from a Title Menu bringing me to the first chapter (a solid Grey field) and could faintly see the image of the previous menu.........almost looked like a faint embossed image. If I recall skipping to the next track did not make the image disappear this time. I tried the same scenario on my Sony DVD player connected via C1 and it was fine with no ghosting whatsoever. Attached is an image showing the ghosting from the Avia disc, it's showing a 10 IRE field however it's set to gamma 3 because the image becomes MUCH more visible on this setting and is easier to photograph. The ghosting has never been noticed with normal viewing, only when jumping to solid screens of Grey from a stationary menu.

Can any other 931 owners, DLP or otherwise try to duplicate this? It's not really an issue for me I'm more curious to it's cause than I am concerned about it......other than the junk remote control the 931 is a decent unit for $235 and will suffice until higher end DVI equipped players come out. I left my trusty Sony DVD player hooked up for 4:3 material and a new Pronto solved the issues regarding the OEM remote. The DI may be reported to have slightly better PQ but from the images I've seen it simply looks too much like a cheap $49 DVD player for my taste......hopefully by this holiday season some really nice DVI players will be out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=11804

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Sorry for the long post but I have been trying to figure this out too...

I have a 3 week old 50" Samsung HLN DLP with the 931 DVD player and I am also seeing some wierd kind of ghosting effect going on. I have made no calibration changes to the set since I received it - if I knew how to post the firmware rev I would do it(I assume it's in the service menu?)...

It's only noticeable when light in the room is basically non-existent. In the movie Die Another Day in the beginning when Bond steals the helicopter for entrance into North Korea - when the helicopter takes off into the horizon I see a faint ghost of the shape of the helicopter in the black bar region underneath the picture. Ghosting also happens when movies have subtitles too. I have noted that the ghosting appears regulated to the center of the screen and not towards the edges of the screen. Other movies I have with "bright" colors/scenes have ghosting too - I checked out Gladiator last night and the dark opening scenes I don't see any ghosting.

Any material in full screen mode - Xbox - I don't see any ghosting. I'll check closer today to see when the Xbox games load and they have a lot of bright logos on them if any ghosting is present.

I thought I was going crazy at first when I bought this TV from Ultimate Electronics in AZ. The ghosting is definitely there and I mentioned this to my UE sales guy and he said he's never heard of it either. The was a 50" floor model with the 931 player and we put Star Wars II in and there was no ghosting - although I couldn't get ghosting out of it either when playing on my set.

Ultimate seems willing to come out and validate my claim. It's obviously still under warranty but if there is a problem and they offer a repair I'm going to demand a whole new set.

Maybe we are not the only ones but I definitely see faint ghosting in some movies.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I get ghosting on my plasma from any menu source - the cable guide, replayTV menu, etc... I just cant imagine that a source (DVD player, cable, sat etc...) can cause ghosting. But then again, I have heard that there is not way to get burn in (and I assume therefore no way to get ghosting) on DLP RP sets. So this is pretty weird. Please let us know what you find as I am considering this DVD player too.

Thanks,

E. J.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Supertoyz - I'll have to get my Avia back from a friend, but I will check it out and see if my 61"/931 does the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.