AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a review last night on the Samsung HD931 in the current issue of Widescreen Review. The article mentioned a bug on the component output where sometimes it would have "setup" and sometimes it would not. As the reviewer toggled between 480i and 480p output sometimes there was setup, sometimes not. He said your display needs to be adjusted for either with or without it, and if the player then pulls a switcheroo on you, your picture could look either dark or washed out. He called this a "software bug". So I have a few questions.

Q1. What is setup?

Q2. Have any 931 owners noticed this?

Q3. If this bug is already known on this forum, is there a firmware fix yet?

He also talked about the video levels of the DVI out being PC levels, as opposed to video levels. I will be marrying this player to the Samsung HLN467 DLP RPTV (I know, different forum, sorry).

Q4. Anyone know if the HLN467 DVI input expects PC or video levels?

Thanks,

Sooke

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm not sure what they mean about PC levels or video levels. I use my 931 with my new Cineos via DVI with no problems. The Cineos specs their DVI input to accept TMDS encoded, uncompressed 480i, 480p, 740p, 1080i digital inputs. They have a separate RGB input for VGA inputs. I am guessing your DLP specs the DVI input pretty much the same way. I have read in other forums of people very impressed with 931/DLP combinations using DVI, so you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolfo
... The Cineos specs their DVI input to accept TMDS encoded, uncompressed 480i, 480p, 740p, 1080i digital inputs. ...
Are these specs available online?

Thanks,

John Flegert

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Widescreen Review gave the 931 a very positive review. Anyone deciding between the 931 and the D-1 should read the reviews of both of these players by Greg Rogers in the last two issues of WSR.

Personally, I think he is the best reviewer out there.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sooke

Q2. Have any 931 owners noticed this?
Yes. After powering on, once you hit the progressive scan button to toggle it either on or off, both the analog 480i and analog 480p brightness levels are shifted downward.

The brightness level will only be restored by powering off and on again.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
I am guessing your DLP specs the DVI input pretty much the same way.
Stacey Spears has posted that Samsung as a company is specing their products to the incorrect PC standards and not the correct video standards.

This is causing an incompatiblity in signal levels between Sat receivers, DVD players and Displays.

They have a firmware upgrade for the T-160 Satellite Receiver, but thats the only product they've fixed so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.