AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge of getting my first projector and I am torn between getting a JVC HD950 with CMS or just getting a JVC HD550 and then buying something like a VideoEq Pro

http://www.curtpalme.com/VideoEq.shtm

To use for CMS, the reason I am thinking of doing it this way is to have the ability to have color management with whatever projector I may end up using down the road. Any thoughts on the use of external cms?

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
The nice thing about your idea is that you pay for the CMS once, and you can use it with any display in the future. From the demos I've seen, the VEQPro/CalMAN 4.0 combination will be wonderfully user friendly and will achieve the end result quicker than using the CMS in the RS25/RS35.

That being said, the HD950 will have better performance with just slightly less light output, but if you're planning on upgrading regularly you can probably get the HD550 for starters and then get something even nicer at some point in the future.

I've also had some conversations with a very well-known and respected calibrator who indicated that, although the CMS on the HD950/HD990 measures very well at say 75% luminence/100% saturation, once you start looking at other luminance or saturation levels the changes achieved by the CMS don't track linearly (e.g. 25% saturated red would read 35%). I'm going to measure this myself with my RS35 and see if that's the case, but if so that would be another argument for getting something like the VEQPro or an external VP with a built-in CMS like the Lumagen Radiance series.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot /forum/post/18142523

I've also had some conversations with a very well-known and respected calibrator who indicated that, although the CMS on the HD950/HD990 measures very well at say 75% luminence/100% saturation, once you start looking at other luminance or saturation levels the changes achieved by the CMS don't track linearly (e.g. 25% saturated red would read 35%).

This is a bug concerning the 'Cinema 1' preset. If you try to re-adjust that preset you end up with wrong saturation readings on lower stimuli. If you calibrate the HD... on an extra USER1...3 preset you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
So Y and saturation measure properly at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% levels when the CMS is used in any of the UserX memories? Interesting - thanks much

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
My concern with the external route is if the colors in the projector have been setup so that what they might call Caucasian skintones look about right, but yet the fully saturated colors are more saturated than the standards call for (going along with what HogPilot said). For instance, my guess is that this is what JVC did purposely with the RS1 and is why I suspect that people who use an external CMS may actually be making some colors between white and fully saturated primaries end up further from what the standards call for. As another example, Runco advertises that they do something like the above with skintones and primaries with their new LED DLP, at least in one mode. If somebody then applied an external CMS to that, what would they get?

I don't know how the HD550 is setup, but I suspect that the HD950 with internal CMS may do a better job of keeping those midpoint colors right when the primaries and secondaries are set right.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ /forum/post/18148521

What are the pros and cons of each compared to the built in CMS with the 950?

The CMS on the Duo currently only allows adjustment of the primaries, not the secondaries. The way Jason's review is written, it appears that you can only adjust the x/y for each primary and not Y (I'm hoping to clarify that in the Duo thread in the VP section), and you get 11-point parametric greyscale/gamma correction. This is in addition to all the other VP-type features - scaling, deinterlacing, video switching, noise reduction...the list goes on. OTOH, the VEQPro can fully adjust x/y/Y for the primaries and secondaries, it has 1024-point parametric greyscale/gamma correction for almost infinite gamma/greyscale possibilities, but it doesn't perform any of the VP functions that the Duo does. So basically with the Duo you get less CMS ability/flexibility but a "full" VP feature-set, whereas the VEQPro gives you a complete and powerful CMS but no VP features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/18148866

My concern with the external route is if the colors in the projector have been setup so that what they might call Caucasian skintones look about right, but yet the fully saturated colors are more saturated than the standards call for (going along with what HogPilot said). For instance, my guess is that this is what JVC did purposely with the RS1 and is why I suspect that people who use an external CMS may actually be making some colors between white and fully saturated primaries end up further from what the standards call for. As another example, Runco advertises that they do something like the above with skintones and primaries with their new LED DLP, at least in one mode. If somebody then applied an external CMS to that, what would they get?

I don't know how the HD550 is setup, but I suspect that the HD950 with internal CMS may do a better job of keeping those midpoint colors right when the primaries and secondaries are set right.

--Darin

I calibrated both an RS1 and FPJ1 with my RadianceXD, and in both cases colors at different saturation and luminance levels measured properly with the CMS engaged. Skin tones before looked overly red or orange (depending on the lighting), whereas after everything looked "right" with the CMS engaged. Others such as Craig from CIR Engineering have measured an almost linear tracking for luminance and saturation levels ranging between 0% and 100% with the XD's CMS. I would imagine the VEQPro performs in the same manner, however I have no firsthand experience to verify that.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
What I meant is that the RS25/HD950 is overall a better projector besides the CMS. Better contrast mainly (though the RS15 is slightly brighter). Trade offs.

I suppose a lot of which is a better route will be determined by each own persons setup (some might need max light, some might prefer best possible black levels, etc...).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.