AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is HDBaseT universally compatible? Like will any receiver work with any transmitter?

Or are they brand specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its complicated.

1) HDbaseT has different version chipsets and different partner compression/uncompression chips. So its really only 100% compatible with the TX and RX match on both these fronts. You'll most likely still be able to get some sort of video if they don't fully match, but the feed won't be reliable, or it will be limited to a certain resolution....just overall not a good idea

2) Different HDbaseT kits have different power requirements. Some brands use 24v 1a or some use 12v 2a. Given the fact that most HDbaseT kits use POC (Power over Cable), you could fry either the TX or RX because one of them is sending the wrong power requirements to the other side.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its complicated.

1) HDbaseT has different version chipsets and different partner compression/uncompression chips. So its really only 100% compatible with the TX and RX match on both these fronts. You'll most likely still be able to get some sort of video if they don't fully match, but the feed won't be reliable, or it will be limited to a certain resolution....just overall not a good idea

2) Different HDbaseT kits have different power requirements. Some brands use 24v 1a or some use 12v 2a. Given the fact that most HDbaseT kits use POC (Power over Cable), you could fry either the TX or RX because one of them is sending the wrong power requirements to the other side.
Thanks for info

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Thanks for info

Another factoid to consider is that video is still compressed via HDBT until the latest Valens chipsets are made available (VS3000). HDBT Spec 3.0 is the latest version but whether there are devices shipping with that spec or not I don't know. And I agree with the above, keep the tx and rx the same. Don't mix and match. It also helps if the cabling in-between is solid copper core UTP (non-CCS/CCA and not pre-terminated ethernet) cable.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another factoid to consider is that video is still compressed via HDBT until the latest Valens chipsets are made available (VS3000). HDBT Spec 3.0 is the latest version but whether there are devices shipping with that spec or not I don't know. And I agree with the above, keep the tx and rx the same. Don't mix and match. It also helps if the cabling in-between is solid copper core UTP (non-CCS/CCA and not pre-terminated ethernet) cable.

Thanks - yeah, I know there is some compression and I suppose that’s life right now. Even if 3.0 were available, I doubt I could afford it.

I won’t be using it on my 4K projector and that’s the only area where I’m on a large enough screen to really see any difference.

On my other TVs everything is either small enough or far enough away that I doubt it will make much of a discernible difference.

I’m a recovered AV installer so running new, proper cable is no major issue for me. Most of it is done already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts