AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every few months I toy with the idea of trying to distribute video throughout my home. I basically am an enthusiast that supports my own Crestron system. The cost and issues described of HDMI distribution and downsampling to common outputs has always given me pause.

One of the big things I've often read about are the issues of EDID management and that there is a big cost difference between Matrixes that don't offer EDID, ones that offer basic EDID and ones that offer solid/no issues EDID. What often confuses me is if all of this would be resolved if there was a basic AV receiver (or similar device) that offered 5.1/7.1 with advanced audio codecs and 1080p or higher support with each device.

The monoprice HDBaseT 4x4 matrix is only $1500 and a cheap Yamaha Receiver is $200 and supports 4k, 5.1 and TrueHD/DTS-MA.

For my home I already have two AVRs that I would want to output and two basic TVs. If I were to add in two of the Yamaha receivers I would essentially have 4 receivers at all 4 output locations. Am I correct that since I only care about 5.1 and 1080p that the TV audio or resolution wouldn't matter since the receivers would all handle the downsampling? If so I could essentially have a full 4x4 setup for under $2000. Certainly not cheap but not as expensive as some of the higher end HDBaseT solutions I've read about which supposedly "just work". I'm guessing I could even find cheaper AV receivers if I really tried.

Am I missing something here or is the general issue with my suggestion that most people don't want to locate an AVR at each destination b/c you lose the benefit of a simple single wire coming out of the wall? And even if that was the case wouldn't it seem that some manufacturer could make a smaller hardware box that does the basic acceptance of a 7.1/1080p signal simply to downgrade it to a TV that could be hidden behind the TV for a cleaner look? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Am I correct that since I only care about 5.1 and 1080p that the TV audio or resolution wouldn't matter since the receivers would all handle the downsampling?
Correct.

Am I missing something here or is the general issue with my suggestion that most people don't want to locate an AVR at each destination b/c you lose the benefit of a simple single wire coming out of the wall?
The more expensive matrix units that do EDID management will likely allow for smoother switching (no blanking/glitching seen on other displays).

And even if that was the case wouldn't it seem that some manufacturer could make a smaller hardware box that does the basic acceptance of a 7.1/1080p signal simply to downgrade it to a TV that could be hidden behind the TV for a cleaner look? Thanks.
Well, it's called an HDMI-connected soundbar speaker! That accomplishes the same thing without having to make a custom device for this purpose (but yes, I've wondered about such a box).

Jeff

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct.

The more expensive matrix units that do EDID management will likely allow for smoother switching (no blanking/glitching seen on other displays).
Would there be blanking/switching if all are connected to an AVR? I don't care much about blanking of the display and a couple of second wait for the TV that I'm switching inputs on but I wouldn't want a TV that is watching something in the family room dropping out b/c a different user changed the input in the family room.

Well, it's called an HDMI-connected soundbar speaker! That accomplishes the same thing without having to make a custom device for this purpose (but yes, I've wondered about such a box).

Jeff
That makes sense, so would the HDMI cable first go into the soundbar (which supports DD TrueHD and DTS-MA) and then have an HDMI out which goes to the TV? Any specific ones that you'd recommend looking at?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Would there be blanking/switching if all are connected to an AVR? I don't care much about blanking of the display and a couple of second wait for the TV that I'm switching inputs on but I wouldn't want a TV that is watching something in the family room dropping out b/c a different user changed the input in the family room.
Yes, it's 'blanking' on other displays that is the concern... That will depend on the implementation internally to the HDMI matrix. Note that many of the high-end switches mention the blank-free functionality specifically as a "feature".

That makes sense, so would the HDMI cable first go into the soundbar (which supports DD TrueHD and DTS-MA) and then have an HDMI out which goes to the TV? Any specific ones that you'd recommend looking at?
Yes, and no, I don't have any recommendations...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts