AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming but to wanted to verify, that all connections for 4k blu- Ray will need to have HDCP 2.2. My 4k tv does have one but my reciever does not. So I wanted to know when 4k blu- Ray comes out will I have to switch back to optical for audio or is the HDCP 2.2 requirement only needed at the tv end? I'm pretty sure I'll have to go back to optical but wanted to verify.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm assuming but to wanted to verify, that all connections for 4k blu- Ray will need to have HDCP 2.2. My 4k tv does have one but my reciever does not. So I wanted to know when 4k blu- Ray comes out will I have to switch back to optical for audio or is the HDCP 2.2 requirement only needed at the tv end? I'm pretty sure I'll have to go back to optical but wanted to verify.
I have a 65UB9500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, does anyone know if the 65UB9500 is rec2020 or rec709. I was told directly from L
G that it meets the qualifications for rec 2020 but wanted to verify with another source besides them. I don't see anything in the manual about it.

I have 1 input that is hdcp 2.2

http://answers.lg.com/answers/7676/...-answers/questions.htm?expandquestion=1929737

But I want to know if it's rec 2020 or if I'm stuck with rec 709.

·
Registered
729 Posts
There are no consumer products that you can buy which will conform to BT.2020, only DCI-P3; Samsungs SUHD line has their proprietary Quantum Dot Film called Nano Crystals and adheres to 92% of that color space, a forthcoming reference TV from Vizio that sports Dolby Vision and has 100% of the color space of DCI-P3. Also Panasonic has a HDR/10Bit/DCI-P3 panel as well.

I'm not sure on your other question if using an optical cable will allow you to bypass sound from the UHDBD and just reap video from the HDMI, as there could be some countermeasures that give people issues. As you figured however, if you use HDMI only then all links in the chain will have to be 2.2 compliant, there will be no getting around that one. If you hook the 2.2 player to the non 2.2 AVR then to the 2.2 TV, then because the AVR wouldn't have 2.2 it will fail to produce the movie to your TV.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
^^^^^ agree. To reap the full benefits of HDMI 2.0 (soon to be 2.0a) and HDCP 2.2 ALL of your connected devices will have to be HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant. Otherwise, you will either get no video if the blu-ray is mastered with HDCP 2.2 or, in the case of HDMI 2.0, your system will fall back to HDMI 1.4 specs. The new chipsets are just starting to appear on devices and there's even discussion of having a dual chipset, HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, instead of separate chips on different boards. It's still a bit too early, imo, to be purchasing devices that will be HDMI 2.0(a) and HDCP 2.2 compliant enough to not be obsolete in 2 or 3 years time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All devices in the must be HDCP v2.2 compliant when sending signal through HDMI/MHL or DisplayPort. Any one of them being non-compliant and you'll lose your video.

Some devices with multiple ports have different HDCP standards on different ports. I've noticed that in such models, the MHL compatible port is usually the HDCP v2.2 compliant port and the others are anywhere from HDCP v1.4 to HDCP 2.1. Tranversely, the ARC channel port is sub v2.2 compliant. Some v2.2 compliant TVs/players/receivers now have 2 labelled HDMI inputs and outputs specifically to allow for a separate video and audio feed (ex. TV with 2 tandem HDMI ports: 1 HDMI in with v2.2 from BR player for video and audio, and 1 HDMI in from Receiver for audio)

Unfortunately most manufacturers are not yet up to speed with providing HDCP specs on their products. Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think you'll see most UHD Blu-Ray players with 2 HDMI outputs - one that's for video/audio (HDCP 2.2 required) and a second that is for audio only. You would hook the first HDMI directly to your TV's HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 input, and the second HDMI to an input on your receiver for bitstream audio.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There is no way to know with any certainty at this time. You have to wait until actual UHD Bluray players come out to see what will work and what needs to be replaced. Anything else you hear at this time is pure guessing, I would recommend not making any purchasing decisions until we see UHD Bluray players on the shelves.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
There is no way to know with any certainty at this time. You have to wait until actual UHD Bluray players come out to see what will work and what needs to be replaced. Anything else you hear at this time is pure guessing, I would recommend not making any purchasing decisions until we see UHD Bluray players on the shelves.
You might even have to wait longer than that. The first UHD Blu-ray players and receivers out this year probably won’t support everything. I think it is going to be 1-2 years before we really know what is needed to fully utilize all of the UHD features.

For now stop gap components might be the best option? Just something that can get you through to next year. I would hate to go whole hog on the first receivers and blu-ray players that come out with true UHD support and then find that they didn’t quite get it right on their first try.

I would much rather buy a $500 receiver now that I know will have to be replaced by a $2000 receiver next year but will give me everything I want. Than buy a $2000 receiver 4 months from now and find out that I need to buy another $2000 again next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts